• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Sells Out of Legend of the Galactic Heroes Box Set Release

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:03 am Reply with quote
Takes them almost 3 years to sell 1000 copies of this deluxe limited release, now can we please have some standard cheaper release? I am willing to wait longer for that
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:18 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Takes them almost 3 years to sell 1000 copies of this deluxe limited release, now can we please have some standard cheaper release? I am willing to wait longer for that

****ing seriously. Just give me a normal release in normal cases for a normal price. That monstrosity was absurd.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:07 am Reply with quote
They will likely break it down into three sets at $299.99 each. Wink
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:03 am Reply with quote
This sold out much quicker than I thought it would. I expected another 5 years minimum. Plunking down 800 souls is not an easy decision.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:06 am Reply with quote
Whis-pur wrote:
This sold out much quicker than I thought it would. I expected another 5 years minimum. Plunking down 800 souls is not an easy decision.

Most people are thinking that the $1,400 stimulus checks are what finally allowed a lot of people to pull the trigger on the purchase. At least, I know that what I did, and I know of a couple other people who did the same.

And, let's not forget that what Sentai put out was a miraculous deal compared to what the Japanese licensor (Wright Staff) originally tried offering on its own back in the 00s:
Quote:
The producers of LOGH would like to acknowledge receiving hundreds of email comments and pledges for the release of R1 English-Subtitled LOGH Limited-Edition DVD Boxset. While the total number of pledges so far is still somewhat short of our goal, they feel confident that the Boxset can be sold for US$1,700, not US$2,000+ (as previously speculated), provided that the goal of 1,500 pledges be met.

As for whether or not Sentai will ever offer a more "standard" release, I honestly kind of doubt it. The Japanese licensor has always been extremely stodgy about how LOGH gets released, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was a "once in a lifetime" offering, with the streaming option on Hidive essentially being the licensors' equivalent of "giving in" to offering a cheaper alternative.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:44 am Reply with quote
I will always remember this release for the fans that years ago said that they were willing to pay good money for a domestic, disc release of LotGH. But when Sentai announced this set, some of them hated the price tag. Truly HILARIOUS.
Lenks

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

****ing seriously. Just give me a normal release in normal cases for a normal price. That monstrosity was absurd.

Sentai has already said that it won't happen.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I will always remember this release for the fans that years ago said that they were willing to pay good money for a domestic, disc release of LotGH. But when Sentai announced this set, some of them hated the price tag. Truly HILARIOUS.

I think part of it was the difference between paying $800 all at once vs paying $100 8 times. The latter goes down a lot easier if it's spread out
hikura

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:15 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I wanted a standard edition set of the entire series. Meaning just the episodes nothing else. I love the animated series and the books(which I read the entire series). Gives the fans that and I bet it would sell a lot better and faster than the box set they sold.
When it came to it selling out it was good for them but it took them a long time.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I too recall back before it was licensed when fans declared they would pay anything for it. Even if that was just hyperbole, it was still an extreme turn around. I'm actually surprised that it sold out as fast as it did, given that it is a niche title with a high price tag, on top of the backlash.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I always kinda wanted a copy of these but the price is too steep and I read there was an issue with not everything being subtitled when it came to names and positions. It's a real shame that the licenser insists on such a high price point. I absolutely fell in love with the series and have all the books although I only read the first, which was utterly fantastic.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Shame. I wanted it, but the price has always been way more than I can afford. I also heard that it's the version without all the on-screen captions for names and things, which is definitely not how I'd prefer to watch it.
r1chancellor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I strongly considered buying this a few months ago with my stimmy, but hearing that they didn’t have the names captioned like the fansubs did changed my mind. I don’t think I’ll regret missing it.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't know enough about this series to justify taking a $700 risk for some blu-rays.
My luck is I plunk it down and it turns out to be a stinker.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising it sold out when they announced such a low number. I'm sure there were plenty of people waiting to see if it ever got one of sentai's very nice sale discounts and some finally broke before it sold out.
While I don't think the price was unreasonable given the volume of content, it was still a bit too much for one series all at once. For me especially considering I haven't gotten around to watching it yet (plus that oversized box was a bit much...).
Hopefully we can get a more modest release in the future. Just those 4 boxes and maybe that artbook would be nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2