• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Seven Seas Altered Its Light Novels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I have not bought any Seven Seas novels (beyond Occultic;Nine but it was a J-Novel translation), so I don't have any particular loyalty to buy their stuff (I have bought their manga though, as they publish some very different and niche stuff. I don't know what their manga translation reputation is like though). For me personally though, I wouldn't be saying "I will never buy from them again", but rather "I'm going to wait and see what happens now that they've said they've changed their process". Actions speak louder than words, after all. Plus, licensed light novel translation is still such a limited thing at the moment I wouldn't like to see one of the few LN publishers die.

@Fluwm Your post was very interesting! Thank you for sharing.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:20 am Reply with quote
I'm personally really disappointed in this trend of story alteration. It's especially disconcerting coming from Seven Seas; does everyone recall back in the day they were the publisher that would release controversial series other publishers were afraid to touch? I always thought this represented a true respect and admiration of Japanese storytelling regardless of how risque the content was. Well I guess companies can change a lot too.
ShadowAssailantX

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:17 am Reply with quote
Its amazing to see so many responses bending over backwards to forgive SS. Even the article basically reads as an apology piece.

Seven Seas clearly knew what they were doing. They were trying to appeal to a broader audience to sell more books. This really shouldn't even be misconstrued as censorship. They were fundamentally altering the text by cutting inner monologues and controversial scenes not to appease some puritanical ratings board, but to sell more copies.

The company decided that the hardcore LN fan-base in NA was already a guaranteed sale, so they could change the product as they saw fit to cast a wider net. Unfortunately for both SS and the LN fans, they compromised the product so much that it stopped being "invisible" as the article calls it, and made itself widely known.

The trust issue that others have brought up is key here. No one wants to constantly wonder if the words they're reading are actually what the text says. And no one wants to wonder if there are entire sections missing from what they're reading. This kind of behavior by Seven Seas completely undermines the fun escapism that LN and manga/ anime bring to the table in the first place. What SS has done here isn't just bad for them, it's bad for the hobby.

As fans of a medium like this, people probably roughly know where they stand on this already. This isn't the first time issues like this have come up. And unless people vote with their wallets, these problems will keep popping up in the future.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
It is very important to see and be aware of the current fad of trying to edit reality to force a "social view" that is popular with the liberal world view being created by political agendas. Seven Seas was trying to re write stories to fit this agenda.

the attack on Jennifer Cluess is and was unwarrented. She was standing up for original sources and their value as true literature, not just currently popular view motivated "new" creations. It is not right to blame her for a what is clearly an order from the publisher to reframe the original. As a translator of integrity, she would not change the original and delete so much content without an order from her employer, the publisher. I am glad they re issued Chapter 7 of Classroom of the Elite, which by the way I am much looking forward to of Season 2 of the fine anime.

It is important for all of us to be alert to attempts to re write history in any form. And that includes literature from another culture and language. The deleting of honorifics is a classic example. The effort to learn about another culture to allow a readier or viewer to "tolerate" the difference is minimal.

To understand my concern over the totally unjustified slander and attacks on Jennifer Cluess the reader of my post will need to refer back to the first pages of this thread. She was the target of an organized attack from those trying to re write history to match their own personal prejudices. In this time of media flimflam and propaganda, we need to be alert to attempts to "edit" Japanese originals of anime, manga and popular literature.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:09 pm Reply with quote

Remember when people were pissed off when they changed "Onii-sama" to "Tatsuya"? Yeah, there's a whole volume + about the subject... Now the English TL is having Miyuki trying to call Tatsuya... something she's been calling him for more than half a dozen volumes.
Guile

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:22 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Remember when people were pissed off when they changed "Onii-sama" to "Tatsuya"? Yeah, there's a whole volume + about the subject... Now the English TL is having Miyuki trying to call Tatsuya... something she's been calling him for more than half a dozen volumes.

That's always a risk when it comes to changing something in an ongoing work; you run the risk of contradictions popping up later on. The Golden Kamuy anime was originally localized where every mention of Karafuto was changed to Sakhalin, and then during season 3 the characters crossed from the Japanese Karafuto into Russian Sakhalin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5