• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Announces Yen Audio Imprint with 5 Novel Audiobooks

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote
It be funny if they use the voice actors from the anime adaptations of these novels(well the ones that have animes). They probably won't, but would be cool.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
It be funny if they use the voice actors from the anime adaptations of these novels(well the ones that have animes). They probably won't, but would be cool.

Yeah, I think that would be neat too. I think fans would get a kick out of Bryce and Cherami narrating the SAO novels.

Kind of reminds me of how the Monogatari audio books used actual anime VA's (which is as close as that franchise has ever gotten to an English dub).
pluvia33

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, as a slow reader I've been getting into audiobooks a lot over the last few years and have absolutely LOVED the audiobooks Vertical has done for the Monogatari Series so far. While I'm not interested in these particular series, I'm very excited about what this could mean for the future. If these series do well, PLEASE consider doing audiobooks for Re:Zero, Rascal Does Not Dream, and the Suzumiya Haruhi series. Haruhi I've actually bought and manually read all of the books (it's my favorite series ever), but I'd totally re-buy them as audiobooks to listen to if done well.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I will be getting all of them, that aren't SAO just to support audio books for Light novels.

Personally I am rather annoyed that spice and wolf isn't on the list of titles that will be getting audio books.

I get that series that currently releasing, and are isekai are far more likely to get audiobooks.

But spice and wolf was one of the flagship titles for yen on for many years. we would not have the english light novel industry that we have today if we didn't have spice and wolf leading the charge from the start for official english light novels.

Now that someone else has mentioned it rezero seems like a really odd omission from the list. konosuba, rascal, 86, bungo stray dogs, bofuri, and is it wrong...dungeon would be a good choice as well, but I imagine they are trying to do a variety of titles. It would have been really nice to have seen an actual romance series get put on the list or even one that was more geared towards female readers.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Tue May 04, 2021 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I haven't done audio books in recent years, but with travel options expected to open up later this year, I'd be all for some LN audio books for when I do road trips.

In addition to some of the suggestions that have already been made, So I'm a Spider, So What? would be a fantastic choice for this format. It's practically tailor-made for audio book format.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
In addition to some of the suggestions that have already been made, So I'm a Spider, So What? would be a fantastic choice for this format. It's practically tailor-made for audio book format.

Well, except for the pages upon pages of skills and stats every time Kumoko appraises anything.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:16 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

(Preferably with Brianna Knickerbocker narrating).
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I'd be down for some of these like Overlord, Tanya, and Solo Leveling. I read a lot of light novels, currently reading SAO, Accel World, and Spice and Wolf/Wolf and Parchment, and don't really have time for more as I read them on my breaks at work. Being able to squeeze in some light novel audio books while I'm driving, working around the house or playing games would be nice.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1