• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Releases Black Rock Shooter, City Hunter 2, Mahoraba, Lupin III: Return of Pycal Anim

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
Awesome News! More City Hunter and Fighting General Daimos, were high on my list of Discotek releases. I only saw the compilation film of Daimos as Starbirds on the Christian Broadcast Network in the mid 1980’s. It will be good to finally watch all of Daimos. I am curious to see what Discotek does with seasons 3 and 4 of City Hunter. Are there only 36 episodes combined for seasons 3 and 4? If so, maybe Discotek should release them together, or just a month apart.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
I am curious to see what Discotek does with seasons 3 and 4 of City Hunter. Are there only 36 episodes combined for seasons 3 and 4? If so, maybe Discotek should release them together, or just a month apart.

That and the TV specials, OVA's, and movies. The most recent movie got an individual disc release but I am curious to see if the older material gets released like that or is released in a set of some kind. Either way, excited for more City Hunter getting the blu ray treatment!
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
OMG, Outstanding, Black Rock Shooter is one of my most favorite anime
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Akcoll99, I think the post season 4 tv specials get some kind of box set, with the movies getting released individually. If an entire franchise box set was to happened, it would have been released before Season 1 parts 1 and 2 and the most recent film landed on Blu ray!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:00 pm Reply with quote
So they are not including the Black Rock Shooter OVA?
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So they are not including the Black Rock Shooter OVA?

Sadly no. I hear that's considered a separate license.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Embarrassing confession time.

For years, my dumb self thought Funimation had licensed both the OVA and the TV series for Black Rock Shooter (for some reason), and I only found out they were unlicensed a few months ago. Good to know that the TV series is licensed now, though, albeit by a different company!
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:53 pm Reply with quote
So, as I understand it, this means that the entire "Robot Romance Trilogy" will now be available. They already released Combattler V ("Vee"), and Voltes V ("Five"), right?
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO, As of 7/27/21 the entire Robot Romance Trilogy will be on Blu Ray.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Don't know how to feel about Return of Pycal being the Blu-ray release here because I've heard nothing but bad things about it. I guess I would have probably prefer some other TV special in it's place a little.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:48 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Don't know how to feel about Return of Pycal being the Blu-ray release here because I've heard nothing but bad things about it. I guess I would have probably prefer some other TV special in it's place a little.

Don’t know what you’ve heard but it is a not terribly good special.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:59 am Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
I am curious to see what Discotek does with seasons 3 and 4 of City Hunter. Are there only 36 episodes combined for seasons 3 and 4? If so, maybe Discotek should release them together, or just a month apart.

26 actually and considering Japan released them together on Blu-ray recently, I could see Discotek doing the same with each season on a single disc.

Codeanime93 wrote:

It'll happen eventually since they're almost out of specials to release. I mean, they just finished the FUNi rescues (not counting the two movies) and most of those were considered not good either.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:28 am Reply with quote
NJ_, Wow! 26 episodes over 2 seasons, after a 63 episode Season 2. Thank you for the update.
matt78

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:11 am Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:
Embarrassing confession time.

For years, my dumb self thought Funimation had licensed both the OVA and the TV series for Black Rock Shooter (for some reason), and I only found out they were unlicensed a few months ago. Good to know that the TV series is licensed now, though, albeit by a different company!

Wasn't this one of the titles that they had for streaming only?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1