• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Extends COVID-19 State of Emergency Until May 31

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:00 am Reply with quote
uhm dont see how this slows the spread of covid 19

the government will ask large department stores and shopping centers to close by 8:00 p.m. instead of closing altogether, and events to have no more than 5,000 attendees and end by 9:00 p.m..
dragonquiz

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah me either, although unlike in other western countries where mask usage is either politicized, not mandatory/required or even recommended, people in Japan do wear masks even when feeling down under, yet still able to work albeit only in large dense populations and I do see in less populous areas there are a few mask wearers out there too. So this isn't surprising, but the number of people at events is a bit striking to me to say the least.

Wondering if they would have enough time to like increase vaccination rates, so that they won't have to extend it any further to the already fragile (frugal?) Olympic games in like 11 weeks from today and if they can't, I'm not sure they can even host one or let alone postpone it further than the already set date, already pushing any qualifiers or championships or other major sport events for the following two summers for the Paris 2024 games.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:15 am Reply with quote
dragonquiz wrote:
Yeah me either, although unlike in other western countries where mask usage is either politicized, not mandatory/required or even recommended, people in Japan do wear masks even when feeling down under, yet still able to work albeit only in large dense populations and I do see in less populous areas there are a few mask wearers out there too. So this isn't surprising, but the number of people at events is a bit striking to me to say the least.

Wondering if they would have enough time to like increase vaccination rates, so that they won't have to extend it any further to the already fragile (frugal?) Olympic games in like 11 weeks from today and if they can't, I'm not sure they can even host one or let alone postpone it further than the already set date, already pushing any qualifiers or championships or other major sport events for the following two summers for the Paris 2024 games.

Speaking of the Olympics, the IOC is teaming up with Pfizer to vaccinate athletes. This is huge, especially since they already sponsor Team Canada.
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1107458/ioc-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-olympics
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:48 am Reply with quote
Ooof. I feel really bad for the My Hero art exhibition.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:19 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

Speaking of the Olympics, the IOC is teaming up with Pfizer to vaccinate athletes. This is huge, especially since they already sponsor Team Canada.
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1107458/ioc-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-olympics

Volunteers apparently still don't get any. My timeline is livid, and they have every reason to be.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:09 pm Reply with quote
[quote="dragonquiz"Olympic games in like 11 weeks from today and if they can't, I'm not sure they can even host one or let alone postpone it further than the already set date, already pushing any qualifiers or championships or other major sport events for the following two summers for the Paris 2024 games.[/quote]
The next Winter Olympics are suppose to be in 2022, so it would be hard to push it back another year. They already lost money postponing it, and postponing it again would cost them even more, so they would be forced to cancel if they don't have it this year. As it is, they're going to loose more money even having it because they won't have the tourism they were expecting from it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1