• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gucci, Crunchyroll Team Up For Luxury Bananya Apparel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
The hoodies are cute...

I’m curious if anyone is actually going to buy them?
Madster

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I heard from an insider that Crunchyroll will start paying their translators in Gucci clothes.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:36 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
The hoodies are cute...

I would gladly buy these for my niece, this stuff looks nice, but the price...
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:40 pm Reply with quote
This crossover / team up is so absurd that the items themselves look bootleg.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Over $1k for a silly hooded sweatshirt? Man, I want some of the hash they must be smoking because that has to be some good shit to come up with this idea. Then again, designer clothes are one of the most ridiculous cash cow businesses in the world in my opinion.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:27 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
The hoodies are cute...

I'd buy them if it wasn't for the Gucci prices.
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
ab2143 wrote:
The hoodies are cute...

I'd buy them if it wasn't for the Gucci prices.

Same
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I would also buy some of that stuff if it wasn't for the prices. Bananya is great, but holy crap, that's a lot of money for a simple design on a sweatshirt.
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I think a collaboration with Uniqlo (obviously more affordable than Gucci) would have been better
harminia

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
So bewildered by them teaming up with Gucci. Like, 0.0001% of their userbase would be able to afford this, much less want to buy it. The people who would buy it probably don't know anything about anime, bananya or Crunchyroll and just think "hahah cute cat with banana".

Really struggling to understand their aim here, beyond cred(?) that they "teamed up with Gucci"
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:57 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
So bewildered by them teaming up with Gucci. Like, 0.0001% of their userbase would be able to afford this, much less want to buy it. The people who would buy it probably don't know anything about anime, bananya or Crunchyroll and just think "hahah cute cat with banana".

Really struggling to understand their aim here, beyond cred(?) that they "teamed up with Gucci"

And that's exactly it. It's a cute character, the same people who buy the Doraemon gucci tie in or the sanrio luxury goods will buy it, and make crunchyroll a lot of money since they are like the agent for these character rights.
The people at Gucci probably know like exactly how many of these to produce and how many that will sell.
Why not do this deal? Seems like everyone wins except for a normal bananya fan who actually feels upset they can't afford these, to which I say: there is a plethora of cheap bananya merch, go buy that.
harminia

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:23 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
And that's exactly it. It's a cute character, the same people who buy the Doraemon gucci tie in or the sanrio luxury goods will buy it, and make crunchyroll a lot of money since they are like the agent for these character rights.
The people at Gucci probably know like exactly how many of these to produce and how many that will sell.
Why not do this deal? Seems like everyone wins except for a normal bananya fan who actually feels upset they can't afford these, to which I say: there is a plethora of cheap bananya merch, go buy that.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about their goal. They'll make bank off of rich white girls buying cute banana cat stuff for sure. Just feels kinda like a slap in the face to the user base who like Bananya. Sounds like there's quite a few people who would like bananya stuff, so maybe they'll gauge interest and try Uniqlo collab or something.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Just buy the bootleg versions. They are cute but the price describes everything wrong with humanity.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:11 am Reply with quote
Is the market for Bananya the same as that of Doraemon? Doraemon has widespread appeal throughout Asia; You have McDonalds running promos in Hong Kong with Doraemon dressed as the Lunar New Year animals. I've seen bootleg Doraemon passport holders coming from passengers from Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. It's been around for decades.

I don't see the same for Bananya. Comparatively, it seems unpopular.

I'm sure there are the Gucci fans that will buy anything Gucci simply because they like the brand. I just don't see this making the hundreds of thousands in profit that Crunchyroll might think it will based on Doraemon Gucci sales.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:12 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

You do realize that Bananya is not just an anime, right? It's a line of mascot characters for Q-Lia, a company producing and selling fancy stationery and whose main target demo is young women in their '20s. It's not targeting children or otaku or whatever. Crunchyroll may be involved but the target audience for this merch is not kids, let alone American kids, let alone the usual American Crunchyroll customer. It's fashion-conscious young women in Japan (and elsewhere in Asia, I suppose) who enjoy whimsical and cute stuff, and are willing to spend money on such designer apparel. Are the prices ridiculous for such simple designs? Yes. Is it completely in line with designer fashion that a lot of people, especially people in Q-Lia's and Gucci's target demographics, happily splurge on anyway? Yes. People spend money on their hobby, be it fashion, cosplay, games, figurines, collecting anime, etc. in ways that for "outsiders" may seem ridiculous, but it's their money so who cares? (Also, I'm fairly sure nobody is expecting these to sell like hotcakes, and I'm also fairly sure that the people behind this campaign had a good idea of the expected demand...)

For that matter, as someone who also enjoys whimsical and cute stuff, you bet I would be right there splurging along for at least one item, were I 1. less money-conscious, 2. younger, because to be honest I'm getting too old to really rock "youthful, cute & whimsical".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2