• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toei Announces New Dragon Ball Super Anime Film for 2022

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Matches Malone wrote:
The powers at be seem too afraid to truly try something new with the franchise, and instead play things safe and rely on nostalgia

And they can't even do the nostalgia right. They completely botched the classic sound effects and overall design of Dragon Ball, and the violence has been heavily toned down too, not even allowed to show blood anymore, can't even do Roshi's perverted antics at all either.

Instead you get Vegeta as a comedy character stuck in some slice of life.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Dragon Ball Super introduced a plethora of new characters, so I hope that Toriyama and Toei don't fall back on old movie characters again.

I don’t know why not since Cooler is really the only movie character that needs to be canonized.....even if they’d have to bullshit out an excuse to explain where he’s been in the canon for the last 20 some odd years.
Matros

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Chris Handsome wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
The powers at be seem too afraid to truly try something new with the franchise, and instead play things safe and rely on nostalgia

And they can't even do the nostalgia right. They completely botched the classic sound effects and overall design of Dragon Ball, and the violence has been heavily toned down too, not even allowed to show blood anymore, can't even do Roshi's perverted antics at all either.

>They completely botched the classic sound effects
Well excuse Araki for being busy working on another show and not dedicating his whole life to one franchise.

>overall design of Dragon Ball
Broly in terms of aesthetic and visuals was the best DB has ever looked. When creating the designs Shintani paid tribute to Maeda's early DBZ era designs while also putting his own spin on them. The results spoke for themselves and it made many animators happy.

>the violence has been heavily toned down
Thank the international market for that.

And the last thing... why in the world would you even want that? Says more about you than anything.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Chris Handsome wrote:
can't even do Roshi's perverted antics at all either.

I find it funny you mention that in light of who you have as an avatar and the fact that one of the most infamous scenes in the original DragonBall is Roshi getting an unintended look at a teenaged Bulma's uncovered.....private parts.

That's at least one thing that can stay in the 1980's/1990's.

Chris Handsome wrote:

Which is fine considering it shows how soft hearted he's become as a family man instead of the cold somewhat distant jerk who just knocked Bulma up and figured he didn't have much responsibility.
SP654

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Alright a new Dragon Ball Super movie now if only they make a new season
LucyFan998

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I can hope to see that the second movie and its continued series go back to its roots from the glory days of 1986 to 1997 from what the previous Dragon Ball anime installments had. However, gone are the days of what the Super anime (as well as other anime from today's standards) don't have from the level of violence and nudity that had it's charm and impact back then, all of that was then toned-down not only for the sake of the youth and international (outside of Japan) recognition, but for the franchise and the animation studio to make lots of revenue. I first got into this franchise since 2009 and words can't describe how amazing it was when I watched it on DVD. Nevertheless, Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z is still a great anime that fans tend to re-watch over and over again with it's memorable story, characters, fight scenes, and animation. For Dragon Ball Super, while it is a decent anime, there are flaws with its animation (don't get me wrong with the Universe Survival arc as it is the best I have seen), story choices, and some moments that tend to make me feel cringed and pissed - this series leaves a lot to be desired. Now if only Toei could make a Dragon Ball Super OVA with an exciting and pleasurable story and fanservice, then that is something that I would be craving it for.
Matches Malone

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:08 pm Reply with quote
LucyFan998 wrote:
I can hope to see that the second movie and its continued series go back to its roots from the glory days of 1986 to 1997 from what the previous Dragon Ball anime installments had.

Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z is still a great anime that fans tend to re-watch over and over again with it's memorable story, characters, fight scenes, and animation.

Those days are long gone, now it's just about nostalgia and whatever's popular with the fans at the given time.

The original story is leagues above what we've been getting this last decade (apart from the BOG movie, that was amazing), and that's mostly due to it being written to tell a story, not sell a franchise.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Which is fine considering it shows how soft hearted he's become as a family man instead of the cold somewhat distant jerk who just knocked Bulma up and figured he didn't have much responsibility.

Vegeta acting overly goofy made since within the context of BOG, but that shouldn't be his default characterization.
Xavon

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:16 pm Reply with quote
An unexpected character...

Naruto?

Or maybe Gojira?

What if Belldandy showed up as Grand Zeno's superior? No-one would be expecting that.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Its about damn time been waiting ages on this film to be announced now if the story will be worth a damn is as always up in the air but I wouldn't mind seeing Cooler brought into the canon universe or even making Baby canon could hold some promise if written in a compelling manner he was always one of the stronger parts of the GT story. The casting for Dragonball dub media in the last few years has been very hit and miss for me hoping they actually improve in this department before the film drops no bullshit just deliver some compelling casting choices.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Sat May 08, 2021 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megax36

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the 'unexpected character' could be Cell. I remember at one point, there were a lot of fans asking for him to return since Frieza was brought back into the fold.

There's also the possibility the new movie is related to this tease from quite a while ago by the manga artist:

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dragon-ball-super-belmod-change-tease-toyotaro-manga-artist/
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I expect nothing in terms of interesting about this movie. The first canon movie in the series, Kami to Kami, actually had something new and the possibilities after that could have been amazing. What was the sequel to that? Fukkatsu no F, with the revival of Freeza. Rehashing old villains instead of making a new one is the reason why the movie was so disappointing. The outcome was obvious. I'm not going to bring up the Super anime.

Skip to the 1st Super movie. What do they do? Rehash old content by making Broly canon. Oh, and bring back Freeza making him do what he does best even after the events of CnT. With these movies, its either they bring back a old villain or they're fighting a Saiyan. That's the cycle and they refuse to do something new.

The fights may have been awesome, but in terms of advancing the story, they do a poor job of it.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:25 am Reply with quote
Megax36 wrote:
I wonder if the 'unexpected character' could be Cell. I remember at one point, there were a lot of fans asking for him to return since Frieza was brought back into the fold.

There's also the possibility the new movie is related to this tease from quite a while ago by the manga artist:

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dragon-ball-super-belmod-change-tease-toyotaro-manga-artist/

It would be strange but very cool to see Cell return in the flesh tho the story would need a reason to bring such a character back into the story after several decades being away.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:10 am Reply with quote
I mean, if we're gonna talk about bringing back old villains, kinda seems like Raditz and/or Nappa would be the most interesting possibilities.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:16 am Reply with quote
If only they could stop to bring back old characters. I mean, Freeza in Resurection of F, Future Trunks in the Zamasu one, C17 in tounament, Broly in the last movie. It's time to move on. That's why I liked the Moro arc that much. They didn't feel the need to base their story on a old character, neither did they put one there just for nostalgia.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:25 am Reply with quote
"Unexpected character" Could this mean...Farmer with shotgun is finally making his comeback!

Wonder if this new Dragon Ball Super movie will be leaked like the last one again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3