• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Revengers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm wondering about Takemichi's shocked reaction when Atsushi confessed he was about to stab Masataka. If he actually did stab him in the original timeline, wouldn't Takemichi remember something like that? So not only does he not seem to recall the original timeline, his present day self doesn't seem to recall either the old or new timeline.

Argh, this is why I both love and hate time travel stories. I just need not to think about this or expect it to make sense, because I do like the drama.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Now I'm wondering about Takemichi's shocked reaction when Atsushi confessed he was about to stab Masataka. If he actually did stab him in the original timeline, wouldn't Takemichi remember something like that? So not only does he not seem to recall the original timeline, his present day self doesn't seem to recall either the old or new timeline.

Argh, this is why I both love and hate time travel stories. I just need not to think about this or expect it to make sense, because I do like the drama.

My assumption is that, in the original timeline, Atsushi stabbed him some point after Takemichi left town and cut off contact. It's a little confusing, since we see him on the verge of attempting it in episode 3, but remember that instead of Masataka beating up Takemichi, it was supposed to be their other friend in a scheduled "fight" that day. So Atsushi was contemplating stabbing, but seemingly wouldn't have been driven to do it until some time after Takemichi left.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I have a lot of questions about the time travel thing but I know that this is not a show where I should be focusing too much on that so I'll just ask one for the time being: what happens with 14-year-old Takemichi when his 25-year-old self goes back to the future? Does he remember what he was just doing? Does he immediately go back to being a wimp? (ok those are three questions but they are about the same thing)

Last edited by 7777ale7777 on Tue May 04, 2021 8:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Ok, reviewing it, it does say he stabbed him when he was 16, so I guess he just put it off in the new timeline. But does that mean he also didn't do it in the original? Because if he'd done it during the fight he was supposed to have had, Takemichi should remember that. Anime dazed

@7777ale7777: Yeah, I've been thinking about them on the balcony ever since, wondering how that played out. Having the explanation that time passes in the past too just made it worse, instead of him being able to jump back to where he left off, which would be a lot more convenient. Wink
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 4 really grabbed me. I laughed out loud at Takemichi accidentally grabbing Naoto’s hand and then the show seamlessly transitioned to drama; Atsushi’s confession, despair and suicide was absolutely brutal. I’m also glad to see Hinata given scenes that emphasize her agency each episode; episode 3, she stood up to Mikey, episode 4 she stood up to teen boys for the senior lady on the train and she invited Takemichi over to help him study (just one subject off from my “she should teach him karate” idea!)

Naoto asking Takemichi to kill Mikey in the past was a real ACAB moment. I know he’s angry about Hinata’s death but to suggest killing a middle schooler before he commits a crime is a bit much.

I agree that it’s probably best not to think too much about the “realistic” details of time travel, but the discussion about what happens to Takemichi’s kid body and mind in the past makes me think of Your Name: maybe kid Takemichi is having vague, dreamlike recollections of someone taking over his body?
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:07 am Reply with quote
It's definitely important to not think too hard about how time travel works. How it works doesn't really matter all that matters is that the show doesn't contradict any of the rules it does end up establishing. If it can do that much it can be considered a good time travel story.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, the lengths they go to censor the manji character. I can't decide if it's hilarious or sad. Leaning toward the latter though, considering how important it is in the story, and how jarring the censorship is. I can just imagine otherwise impactful scenes being ruined by desperate attempts at censoring 卍 ... But it's funny how it doesn't seem to be a problem when spoken out loud, just the image, even though the Nazi swastika is the other way around and all that...
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Oh my god, the lengths they go to censor the manji character. I can't decide if it's hilarious or sad. Leaning toward the latter though, considering how important it is in the story, and how jarring the censorship is. I can just imagine otherwise impactful scenes being ruined by desperate attempts at censoring 卍 ... But it's funny how it doesn't seem to be a problem when spoken out loud, just the image, even though the Nazi swastika is the other way around and all that...

(I'll mark the following as a spoiler because I believe we have to wait like 24 hours after the release of the episode to talk about it here)

spoiler[It was so weird. I didn't know anything about the manga before I started watching this, so in this episode when it looked like there were missing scenes and the characters weren't moving for long periods of time I first thought that the anime was having production issues. Then I looked for the manga online just to compare the translation of a line and realized the manga has that character in its original title! Then looking at the chapter I saw that their uniforms have it too and realized that they were doing an awful job trying to hide it, and then I checked the opening and noticed all those lightbeams... Usually those takes that linger on a charcter for too long to censor something get replaced for the real thing in the Blu-Ray, so I don't think I'll keep watching this until I can get my hand on those or maybe I'll just read the manga instead.]
SHD

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:32 am Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
SHD wrote:

(I'll mark the following as a spoiler because I believe we have to wait like 24 hours after the release of the episode to talk about it here)

spoiler[It was so weird. I didn't know anything about the manga before I started watching this, so in this episode when it looked like there were missing scenes and the characters weren't moving for long periods of time I first thought that the anime was having production issues. Then I looked for the manga online just to compare the translation of a line and realized the manga has that character in its original title! Then looking at the chapter I saw that their uniforms have it too and realized that they were doing an awful job trying to hide it, and then I checked the opening and noticed all those lightbeams... Usually those takes that linger on a charcter for too long to censor something get replaced for the real thing in the Blu-Ray, so I don't think I'll keep watching this until I can get my hand on those or maybe I'll just read the manga instead.]

(Thank for the notice, I'll spoiler mark it too, thought it was OK, because the censorship was there before, it just got really egregious in this episode...)
spoiler[Yes, it's really bad. It was already suspicious that they removed it from the title, but I'd never thought they go as far as actually trying to remove it from the visuals, given how important it is! I can just imagine how it's going to get going forward, here I kept getting distracted during some important scenes.]

What's more, it's only for the subtitled version, likely as the result of Crunchyroll getting anxious about potential viewer reaction. It would've been so much easier to slap on a note in subtitles along the lines of "hey guys, calm down, that thing there that looks like a swastika is not a swastika" but no, they went the stupid way.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:05 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
7777ale7777 wrote:
SHD wrote:

(Thank for the notice, I'll spoiler mark it too, thought it was OK, because the censorship was there before, it just got really egregious in this episode...)
spoiler[Yes, it's really bad. It was already suspicious that they removed it from the title, but I'd never thought they go as far as actually trying to remove it from the visuals, given how important it is! I can just imagine how it's going to get going forward, here I kept getting distracted during some important scenes.]

What's more, it's only for the subtitled version, likely as the result of Crunchyroll getting anxious about potential viewer reaction. It would've been so much easier to slap on a note in subtitles along the lines of "hey guys, calm down, that thing there that looks like a swastika is not a swastika" but no, they went the stupid way.

It's not just the crunchy, Muse Asia (official distributor for South, South East Asia region) also get the censored version. Which is kinda funny as they had to explain why it was censored because most people there treat the symbol as its original meaning instead of the Nazi symbol.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:07 am Reply with quote
When Takemichi is not in the past his original middle school self acts like the old Takemichi as this episode established but why does modern Takemichi’s memories not change in the future if the past changed? He should remember what middle school Takemichi does right since that is him? His memories should change too?

It seems when Present Takemichi goes back to the past that effects the future. But whenever he is not in the past and regular Middle School Takemichi is there nothing is changed? Does Middle School Takemichi remember what Present self is doing at all? This does seem odd to me and I hope there is an explanation.
yappers4

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Amazon has the uncensored version, but I am not sure if it's available in certain territories.

With that said, in the censored version, at the 14:41 mark of the episode, there was an actual moment where the Manji symbol was removed from a uniform sleeve and back of the jacket. If the viewer didn't know about the Manji removal, then an edit like that shouldn't have been problematic with the other Manji edits, although I am hoping it wasn't an animation error at that specific moment of the episode.
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll just have to watch both the version on Crunchyroll and the uncensored Manji version elsewhere. I agree with Nick that it was difficult to watch...

Judging from this comment:
Meongantuk wrote:
It's not just the crunchy, Muse Asia (official distributor for South, South East Asia region) also get the censored version. Which is kinda funny as they had to explain why it was censored because most people there treat the symbol as its original meaning instead of the Nazi symbol.

I assume it was the decision made by the Japanese licensors.
If Crunchyroll and Muse Asia are unable to add a disclaimer or a note at the beginning of the episode then they may as well drop the series altogether. I don't want to watch episodes with awkward editing and beams.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The resulting confrontation is disappointingly rote, with Hina pummeling our hero offscreen and storming off in a huff, which is about the least interesting way to resolve this kind of conflict.

What seemed weird to me was that Hina didn't leave, when the meeting ends she's just standing there not too far from Takemichi.
Araki

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote
Ok, after what Crunchyroll did in this last episode, and considering how Amazon isn't streaming the series in my country, I'll start downloading the uncensored version. It's the only possible way to keep watching, unfortunately.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9