• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bloomberg: Sony Expects PlayStation 5 Shortages to Continue Through 2022

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
...glad i got mine, even though i had to overpay for the bundle at gamestop with 3 games id never play.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I would not expect this to abate anytime in the near future. There is a growing IC and component chip shortage. This is effecting multiple manufacturers across multiple fields Sony would be no exception.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I'll just wait until the 2nd gen PS5 comes out.
OdnetninAges

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with not getting one until there are a few more exclusives I want for it. But it's definitely a shame for people that really want one now.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Time to get an xbox
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:49 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
I'll just wait until the 2nd gen PS5 comes out.

Yeah, considering the issues with the GPU failing and the Dualsense controller's shoulder buttons breaking due to the springs in them. I'd rather wait until they get all the bugs worked out. Although that maybe one reason why they;re already redesigning the console.
Lin Liren

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully the hard-drive size increased by the time of the redesign because a mere 650GB is actually *less* memory than that of the average high-end PS4, and frankly cannot keep up with the steadily increasing game-sizes of this current generation.
Slim Reaper

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
When they say "shortage" my mind thinks of this near doomsday scenario of there being like 3 PS5's left in an empty warehouse and no way to make more. Though considering PS5 is the fastest selling console in US history with 7 million units sold and many millions more expected to be moved within a year I guess my mind is a bit over dramatic lol.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I work in people's houses all the time, and I think I've literally only seen a single PS5 (for the record, I was quite impressed to get to see one in person! It was also a few months back, so closer to launch)

What I'm waiting for is enough supply that the damn scalpers stop using their bots to snatch up all the stock to try and get people to pay $700-800 for the blasted things.

Also, while I was planning to pick up Miles Morales for PS5, I'd like to play the game soon, so I'll get it on PS4. Glad they've at least released the big titles on both PS4 and PS5.
Maciste

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:14 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Time to get an xbox

Well, good luck with that, too.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote
Well, good thing I got one already. I'm already noticing slight drift on my right stick though and the back of the console gets really warm so I'm a bit nervous about the durability.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:02 pm Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned, I'm officially over Sony. They've made their bed when they decided to go high horse and take their customers for granted the moment they let the success of the PS1 and PS2 run away with them to the point that they could overcharge for the PS3 on launch day. They haven't been the diverse, likeable company for developers that they were once known for back in the 90s.

Plus, I have every reason to believe that they had a major hand in the downfall of Michael Jackson's career considering that Jackson owned over half the company which was taken back by Sony after his death.

So Sony can take the Playstation and stick it where the sun don't shine!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1