• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Zombie Land Saga Revenge [2021-04-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I'd completely missed that detail about Lily's hair and ribbon --- that's a pretty sweet and subtle thing for MAPPA to have done. Do you suppose they were taking the piss out of that British member of Parliament (that scene must have gone round-and-round the slack/email chain at MAPPA when it occurred)?

Considering MAPPA constantly refers to Lily as a boy and refer to her by birth name in production material to this day, I doubt they care about any of that stuff, let alone to the extent of dedicating production time to it when they do the same thing themselves. Not everything pink and blue is some kind of trans symbol.

In terms of art and politics, I'd say stuff like that can certainly skew peoples interpretation and perspective. It's interesting to see certain western fans who have tried to make Lily the face of the franchise or more important in the show than she actually is, where as everywhere else Junko is far and away the poster girl of the series and always tops the popularity charts.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Considering MAPPA constantly refers to Lily as a boy and refer to her by birth name in production material to this day, I doubt they care about any of that stuff, let alone to the extent of dedicating production time to it when they do the same thing themselves. Not everything pink and blue is some kind of trans symbol.

MAPPA isn't the entirety of the production committee, or even its top-billed member (the top two sports belong to Avex Pictures, who handle the music production, and Cygames, who first came up with the concept). And even if the animation studio does have some say in how the show is represented by the PR team, the specific director-writer team (who apparently had a lot of leeway in developing the show and its characters beyond the bare bones producer-provided premise of "zombie idol girls") almost certainly doesn't. Just because marketing materials contradict the interpretation doesn't mean that it was never intended by the creators.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
where as everywhere else Junko is far and away the poster girl of the series and always tops the popularity charts.

Is this true?? Dang, that's surprising to me. It wasn't until the last 2 episodes that she rose in my personal popularity chart. I thought for sure it'd be Sakura.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
where as everywhere else Junko is far and away the poster girl of the series and always tops the popularity charts.

Is this true?? Dang, that's surprising to me. It wasn't until the last 2 episodes that she rose in my personal popularity chart. I thought for sure it'd be Sakura.

From what I understand, it’s not actually all that surprising to me since Asamin seems to have the largest following for her seiyuu/idol work (not counting the seiyuu of DENSETSU NO YAMADA TAE, who is voiced by Sailor Moon, but has mostly just been moaning and groaning so far this series, and we love her for that), with Minyami (Lily’s seiyuu) not too far behind her.

Anecdotally, from what I’ve seen, Saki’s episodes have gotten the most hype reaction from the audience and from popularity polls, again not counting Lily’s episode last season because that was more due to stuff because of culture war shenanigans and the subsequent blowback towards it.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:31 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
It's interesting to see certain western fans who have tried to make Lily the face of the franchise or more important in the show than she actually is, where as everywhere else Junko is far and away the poster girl of the series and always tops the popularity charts.

Different characters can represent the franchise for different reasons. Junko might have contributed the most to making ZLS popular, but Lily is why it's important.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
From what I understand, it’s not actually all that surprising to me since Asamin seems to have the largest following for her seiyuu/idol work

Oh so she regularly sings at a professional level? So that's where that big voice comes from. I'm not familiar with seiyuu status at all, so this is news to me. Sakura remains my favorite character, but Junko rose to number 2 on my list. That song last week was definitely they're best to date.

Sakis OK. Ai I would consider the most boring of the bunch.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:20 pm Reply with quote
In what way is a impressive rakugo performance that brings the audience to tears comparable to juggling? They really should have tried harder with Light's first showing to make him a finalist. Though if Kotaro's (excellent) mudskipper impression was the typical showing, perhaps that says it all. I really hope we get to find out why he decided to participate btw. Was he just mad at Lily for upstaging him earlier? Laughing
While Lily's 2nd presentation was good (especially for a last second change), I didn't really care for the performance. Too much scat, not enough vocals.

KefkaesqueXIII wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
Also, I assume going for rakugo as her performance was a pun?

Rokugou performing Rakugo.

Yeah, I can see that being intentional wordplay.

Good catch.
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:51 am Reply with quote
I was almost done with this show given how (IMO) it really fizzled at the end of season 1 and had just as bad of a start to season 2. But I'm happy I kept with it because these past 3 episodes have reminded me of what I liked about this show. Heres hoping they keep up the momentum and can finish strong.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:34 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
From what I understand, it’s not actually all that surprising to me since Asamin seems to have the largest following for her seiyuu/idol work

Oh so she regularly sings at a professional level? So that's where that big voice comes from. I'm not familiar with seiyuu status at all, so this is news to me.

So discounting DENSETSU NO YAMADA TAE (who as I said before is voiced by Sailor Moon, but she hasn’t done any singing in the show yet, but still endears us with her zombie moans and groans), Asamin probably has the most recent relevant seiyuu and 2.5D idol experience, what with her being Sarah Kazuno of Saint Snow from the Love Live Sunshine franchise. That’s like one major concert a year, albeit not so much anymore with Covid. She was also acting and singing in a lot of stage musicals.

Minyami, Lily’s seiyuu, was a member of the Wake Up Girls franchise (obligatory “F Yamakan!”, lol word filter), which unfortunately died way too soon, as well as the lead presenter for Fate/Grand Order’s Chaldea Radio, what with her voicing Nitocris in said game and being a mega fan of the franchise. She also used to have a regular seiyuu radio show, but I think that ended a couple years ago.

Sakura’s seiyuu, Kaede Hondo, is still fairly new in the industry, despite making a decently big splash and winning Best New Seiyuu of 2019. I think the only singing roles she’s had besides Sakura is Reo, the center of ChamJam, the group in the Oshibudo anime. She also voices the School Idol younger sister of Kanata from Love Live’s Nijigasaki School Idol Club franchise, but she hasn’t done any singing in that role either, even though she probably could.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:22 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:

I can only speak on the Japanese side of the fanbase but I see a lot of merchandise and promotional material revolving around Sakura, Junko, and Ai. So far, Sakura, Junko, and Ai are the only girls with premium PVC figures, and Sakura and Junko are the only girls with Nenodoroids. The least popular character seems to be Tae, which is logical since she doesn't talk, sing or really do much of anything. It seems she's more popular in the west and something of a meme. There's a lot of Junko and Ai stuff now that I think about it.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone knows if that little song about doing errands in the latest episode was actually being sung by Kotono Mitsuishi? If it was, Jesus, Mappa asks the weirdest things for such a legendary seiyuu.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see the nod to disability rep in the review ... I'd been (wrongly) assuming that Tae's shenanigans were just embellished for the sake the anime audience, but not noticeable / noticed by people outside of Franchouchou. Apparently it seems people DO notice, they just maybe assume she has some sort of disability / is weird, but are totally ok with it and just go along with her. I LOVE IT!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I can see the disability parallel of Tae, and how in real life you should not treat them like they are lesser such that one might be condescending like a lack of humanity. Tae even has a service dog to help her with things she might find difficult.

I am at least a little curious of who Tae was in her previous life.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Zombieland Sage Revenge has been pretty strong so far, and the last couple episodes have been knocking it out of the park. I think I spent half of Tae's episode yelling "No, Tae!" or some variation of "shit, oh no" but the legend just cannot be contained Laughing

Did anyone else notice Sakura's family grave next to Tae's family grave? Wonder if this will be referenced later on or just a coincidence? Did Kotaro somehow bungle Sakura's resurrection and got Tae entirely by accident or am I reading too much into this? Eh, who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I would have liked to have learned more about Tae like in the other character focused episodes, but this episode was still great none the less and had me laughing throughout Laughing
I loved how the dog went in to arm hugging stuffed animal mode when they went indoors Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9