• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Animespot inquiry.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erzane

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:51 am Reply with quote
Hi there,

I bought this Animespot encyclopedia on ebay 20 years ago. Mandarake told me it's a chinese bootleg since the SIBN isn't referenced :

I've found two Animespot infos. First one seems to be an US anime club : https://knightconnect.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/animespot

Also, here on ANN you say that Animespot is japanese, but the link to their website isn't available anymore.

Btw, there is an original japanese relaease for that book, but first I thought it was a reprint, si it appears my book is maybe coming from another source. What do you think about it? Thank you!
shosakukan

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:45 pm Reply with quote
erzane wrote:
Hi there,

I bought this Animespot encyclopedia on ebay 20 years ago. Mandarake told me it's a chinese bootleg since the SIBN isn't referenced :

https://i.ibb.co/wJs0D4P/ISBN-7-88050-401-X.jpg

I've found two Animespot infos. First one seems to be an US anime club : https://knightconnect.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/animespot

Also, here on ANN you say that Animespot is japanese, but the link to their website isn't available anymore.

Btw, there is an original japanese relaease for that book, but first I thought it was a reprint, si it appears my book is maybe coming from another source. What do you think about it? Thank you!

The kanji/Hànzì, wording, fount and the like of the covers/dust jacket of your book indicate that it is a book which was made in a Chinese-speaking country.
If Madarake appraisers have said that your book is a Chinese bootleg, it may be a bootleg made in a Chinese-speaking country.

The front cover of the legit Japanese edition of the Saint Seiya Encyclopedia says, 'Jump Comics Selection 聖闘士星矢大全 Saint Seiya Encyclopedia  監修 車田正美 Project Seiya 編.' And the front cover art for the legit Japanese edition is different from yours.

As to 'Anime Spot', the Japanese company which the ANN encyclopedia mentions is an anime studio which was established by Abe Masami in the 1980s, mainly did sakuga and went bankrupt in 2013 or so.
As you know, the Saint Seiya manga was published by Shūeisha. The legit Japanese edition of the Saint Seiya Encyclopedia, too, was published by Home-sha and distributed by Shūeisha. (Home-sha is a subsidiary to Shūeisha.) The Saint Seiya anime were made by Tōei Dōga/Tōei Animation.
So it seems to be unlikely that the sakuga studio established by Abe Masami was in charge of production of a Shūeisha book about the Saint Seiya manga.
In fact, the legit Japanese edition says that the name of the group of writers and editors which was in charge of production of the book is Project Seiya.
erzane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:45 am Reply with quote
Thanks for your detailled infos.
In the meanwhile I found the legit version :

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1