• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: To Your Eternity

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeehaw

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
God I'm glad they went with "Fushi" and Not "Immo" as in the translation of the manga on crunchyroll. And maybe because It's been so long since I read the manga, but I never considered this a tragedy? It's a story of an immortal being and the adventures and friends along the way. Of course sad things are gonna happen but there's plenty of fun stuff also.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:41 am Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
God I'm glad they went with "Fushi" and Not "Immo" as in the translation of the manga on crunchyroll. And maybe because It's been so long since I read the manga, but I never considered this a tragedy? It's a story of an immortal being and the adventures and friends along the way. Of course sad things are gonna happen but there's plenty of fun stuff also.

Fushi is what it was in the published versions of the manga
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:58 pm Reply with quote
So I'm glad they didn't spoil march being alive with the OP (although I still think the OP as too much information in it, seems like were going to get a zombie plague soon), I found March death to be really sloppy as presented. Why would Parona fight on the little balcony? You could have easily setup the scene with her staying inside the wagon for protection while kicking people out the door.

A lot of other little thing in the episode were sloppy. How would getting a piece of the bear help prove the god is dead? Parona would just show up with a half rotten piece of meat, who would be convinced by that?

At the end of the episode, why would Parona try to protect Fushi? He was in no real danger, she saw him get hit by plenty of arrows, what would one more do? Plus that just invite retaliation on the village.

It's annoying when show get to the big emotional episode they seem to think (probably rightfully) that they can be sloppy in execution and the emotional impact will just carry the episode.
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:06 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I found March death to be really sloppy as presented. Why would Parona fight on the little balcony? You could have easily setup the scene with her staying inside the wagon for protection while kicking people out the door.

Why do people do the things they do? Because they're not perfect versions of themselves. You can blame sloppy writings and all but people don't always take the best decision when they have to act and tragedy can result of it, like in that case.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Why would Parona fight on the little balcony? You could have easily setup the scene with her staying inside the wagon for protection while kicking people out the door.

They would shoot a fire arrow to draw her outside again. Remember, she went outside because the wagon caught fire.

meiam wrote:
How would getting a piece of the bear help prove the god is dead? Parona would just show up with a half rotten piece of meat, who would be convinced by that?

It would prove that it was a giant bear, as was in the legend. Its parts are way larger than any normal bear.

meiam wrote:
At the end of the episode, why would Parona try to protect Fushi?

I don't think that's why she shot the arrow at Hayase. She is the one who killed March and put all of them through a terrible situation, so it was a bit of revenge/proof that Parona has grown (she finally hit something with an arrow, even if it still wasn't the intended target). Also, even if Hayase can't kill Fushi, it could still end up bad for him. Remember that she was experimenting on him before the escape, and getting him back is probably her goal.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
Why do people do the things they do? Because they're not perfect versions of themselves. You can blame sloppy writings and all but people don't always take the best decision when they have to act and tragedy can result of it, like in that case.

But what's the point in setting it up with Parona doing a dumb thing? It's not like they couldn't have setup the same scenario (March saving Parona from an arrow) with Parona in the doorway.
blahmoomoo wrote:

They would shoot a fire arrow to draw her outside again. Remember, she went outside because the wagon caught fire.

It would prove that it was a giant bear, as was in the legend. Its parts are way larger than any normal bear.

I don't think that's why she shot the arrow at Hayase. She is the one who killed March and put all of them through a terrible situation, so it was a bit of revenge/proof that Parona has grown (she finally hit something with an arrow, even if it still wasn't the intended target). Also, even if Hayase can't kill Fushi, it could still end up bad for him. Remember that she was experimenting on him before the escape, and getting him back is probably her goal.

She went back in the wagon after putting out the fire then one of the goon jumped on. They're not going to set the wagon on fire while one of them is on it and trying to get in.

It's not that significantly larger than a normal bear, she'd just show up with, let say, an eye that's maybe twice as big and they'd just go "Oh you just found a big dead bear and brought part of it back", its not like she could carry it's head back or anything like that.

If it's a revenge thing its a pretty big dick move to the rest of the village and the other villager certainly wouldn't give her his bow. And Fushi is in really no threat from an arrow, he was shoot by one at almost point blank range back in the city, an arrow shoot from far away isn't going to do any damage and at most would just get him to turn back into a bear and kick Hayase ass again (which would get Parona her revenge). Also if she wanted revenge against Hayase, why not kill her in the city?
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy. I haven't been this broken over an anime since.... the first episode of this series. No wonder this is the author of Silent Voice. It leaves a major emotional breakdown in the audience. The scene where March's "spirit" appeared realizing her death while trying to stop her friend from suicide killed me. Whatever influenced Fushi to stop the suicide might either be him being able to feel March's spirit or him being slowly able to develop more humanity. Based on the opening video, it kinda seems like Fushi will meet more people who will have a major influence in his personality. Now I'm gonna cry a bit. Reading the review killed me again.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Oh boy. I haven't been this broken over an anime since.... the first episode of this series. No wonder this is the author of Silent Voice. It leaves a major emotional breakdown in the audience. The scene where March's "spirit" appeared realizing her death while trying to stop her friend from suicide killed me. Whatever influenced Fushi to stop the suicide might either be him being able to feel March's spirit or him being slowly able to develop more humanity. Based on the opening video, it kinda seems like Fushi will meet more people who will have a major influence in his personality. Now I'm gonna cry a bit. Reading the review killed me again.

He was wearing March's expression, so there must be something about the spirits of the dead that really stimulate him.
That scene in particular destroyed me more than March's death itself. Her clinging to a life she no longer has, and desperately trying to save again the person she died for.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Meh, kid bit it.

I feel worse for Parona by far. Proof of Oniguma's death? Nope. Maybe Fushi's transformation makes the villagers quit the sacrifices for some reason. Saved March? Nope. Six months of effort and suffering for nothing. Hayase dead? Nope. Once again missed the shot when it counted. She'll have to live with those failures for the rest of her life.

That being said, there's a couple of silver linings. She's forgiven and comforted by March's parents. Fushi escaped, carrying March's emotions and hopes. Life's not unrelentingly cruel. It's just life.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I think this is Reiji Kawashima's first big role right? I have no idea about the actor's previous roles. Nevertheless, it must have been hard changing in the first episode as the Eskimo was having a major struggle in his life as a result of his loneliness. Now, the actor has to bring up a more deadpan characcter. The fight sequence was pretty good but I think the lighting of the screen has to be more careful just like some episodes from Golden Kamuy but I think that was mostly CGI.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The show makes the smart choice of not dwelling too much on the specifics of how long Pioran spends teaching Fushi, and how much of his knowledge is acquired through vague Orb-Thing magic.

Yeaaaaah, like two minutes went by and Fushi went from instinct/mimicry to cognizance/self awareness. When she started teaching him how to write words, I was thinking to myself how hard it would be to teach this kind of thing, how just the names of objects and phenomena alone does not bestow the ability to frame those things in relation to oneself. And then he was speaking in sentences and concepts. I'm going to chalk it up to being a property of the orb, beginning at the level of a human infant upon taking the boy's form but with the ability to absorb and process information at a much faster rate.

As a side note, the term "e*kimo" is a slur and really shouldn't be used to reference the boy's people. The wikipedia page for this series uses it as well, but I'm not sure why? Was it actually used in the manga somewhere? It's a fantasy series, so something like "Northern Peoples" or "Arctic Tribe" would likely suffice.
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is also a great time to highlight the excellent direction and vocal performances that have helped keep Fushi feeling appropriately inhuman. I'm assuming that Reiji Kawashima is still responsible for Fushi's dialogue when he's in the form of The Boy, and he's doing an excellent job of selling the complex mix of puzzlement and joy that has to bubble under every one of Fushi's words.

Totally agree with this! The VA is indeed doing a stellar job as Fushi.

I just love the way Fushi talks. Reminds me of Hyakkimaru (Dororo) when he talked for the first time!
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:38 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Meh, kid bit it.

I feel worse for Parona by far. Proof of Oniguma's death? Nope. Maybe Fushi's transformation makes the villagers quit the sacrifices for some reason. Saved March? Nope. Six months of effort and suffering for nothing. Hayase dead? Nope. Once again missed the shot when it counted. She'll have to live with those failures for the rest of her life.

That being said, there's a couple of silver linings. She's forgiven and comforted by March's parents. Fushi escaped, carrying March's emotions and hopes. Life's not unrelentingly cruel. It's just life.

Eh, I think arriving on the back of gigantic bear that transforms clearly demonstrates to villagers she is in Oniguma's good graces - after all who else could the enormous magical bloody-eyed bear be - and the fact that Oniguma let her bring March's body to her parents and comforted her after that also clearly demonstrates to all present that sacrifice time is over, which was her biggest ambition, maybe second biggest after she befriended March.
If villagers helped her shoot at Hayase that means they're with her even against Yanome, and her shot did helped Fushi disappear - otherwise he probably would have to transform into bear to survive arrows, which would make him super easy to trace.
Plus Hayase, while not dead, ended up even worse. Immortal weapon snatched from her hands, fortress destroyed, lot of soldiers killed and Nivannah(?) villages dropping sacrifice myth and turning against them.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:

As a side note, the term "e*kimo" is a slur and really shouldn't be used to reference the boy's people. The wikipedia page for this series uses it as well, but I'm not sure why? Was it actually used in the manga somewhere? It's a fantasy series, so something like "Northern Peoples" or "Arctic Tribe" would likely suffice.

It isn't really slur, the etymology of the name is unknown with several conflicting theories. At most it's colonialist name forced on Inuit people, much like name Indians for Native Americans, and therefore not the most preferable choice, and there are still communities that call themselves Eskimo, like Nome Eskimo Community from quick Googling.
Since this is fantasy world, I don't think this is really a problem. Here in Europe everybody calls everybody else the names we made up for other nations that sometimes maybe resemble the word they use to call themselves. Germany for example is called Deuthland in German, Niemcy in Polish and Allemange in French.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:35 am Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:

It isn't really slur, the etymology of the name is unknown with several conflicting theories. At most it's colonialist name forced on Inuit people, much like name Indians for Native Americans, and therefore not the most preferable choice, and there are still communities that call themselves Eskimo, like Nome Eskimo Community from quick Googling.

Eskimo is actually considered derogatory by most Alaskan natives despite what your "quick Googling" says. It's really best to avoid it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14