• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Back Arrow

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:20 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, as far as I can tell Tae was running the ship by himself. I'm starting to get the impression that Tae was running on Dreadnought Vista and Peath got the Dreadnought 7 edition, while the Granedger is just the beta version of DOS (Dreadnought Operating System) 3.0.

It's very odd, isn't it? Especially considering "Those two can fly, this one can't" which opens up a whole can of worms starting with "... well, what do you call that then?!" Then the Granedger "transforms" and I can kind of see... something like claws or hands. Aha! Or not, it's hard to tell with this show.

And I'm less impressed by the double wall than I am curious about the Granedger being able to pass through one of them. One is just taking "good fences make good neighbors" to its illogical extreme, the other... negates it as soon as the next idea is introduced?
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:52 pm Reply with quote
So Zetsu wants to attack and dethrone God. Would that make him the real protagonist? Especially with Shu out of action?

Quote:
This series has really taken a number of surprising turns over the past few episodes. I personally think they are really engaging, and have generated a whole heap of dramatic tension with a relatively simple premise that becomes ever more fraught with danger at every turn. That said, it feels like the speed at which changes are occurring and the scale of those changes might be a bit of a turn-off compared to the earlier part of the season. None of it feels unearned or anything, but the pace at which we are getting hit with world-altering setting details, dramatic revelations, nation collapses, and character deaths is accelerating. That early “Tee hee fun monster of the week Smile” vibe is ancient history at this point.

This is a series by the director of Code Geass and the writer of Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill. This sort of thing is par for the course for both of them. If anything, they've been showing alot of restraint up until this point. I was expecting plot escalation and major character deaths much sooner.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Those who are surprised by the turns of events have forgotten My Hime. Once I saw those pillars I thought "Yeah, this is going to go there, isn't it?"

Every other character would have fit different tropes but making the most recent building block Shu Bi... Bit probably has Shu's contingency plan because Shu must have realized what a marked off arena and lost game pieces along the side means... right?

I love what My Hime did but it fell short of expectations for many people sadly, only the final episodes will we find out if Back Arrow is doomed to the same fate.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to think the entire world is made up of conviction particles. Shu's demise (if actual, though given the series' pedigree, it may well be) seemed different from what we've seen before (soldiers in combat seem to liquefy and get sucked up into wherever, Werner kinda just faded into sparkles all at once), and I can't help thinking about the priests showing up and interacting with the world despite being made only of conviction particles. The Briheights, the ships and everything else runs on them too, so why not all the people? Arrow might be the only flesh and blood being among them.

No one's mentioned it yet (I was surprised Grant hasn't), but I think the "scar" on Arrow's chest is key to the whole thing. It gets smaller the more energy he expends, but I'm not exactly sure what that means. Smile
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:32 am Reply with quote
The true essence of Back Arrow: Bit finally puts on a Bind Warper only to transform into a giant Bind Warper. And that giant Bind Warer gets used, not worn just used, by the GranEdger... because even the ship has conviction particles.

No matter as we've reached that special moment of "Giant Robot" shows, where the questions are meaningless and the answers don't matter. Zetsu and combine with Back because even as Back disintegrates the Emperor, he only has to use the power of his many, many, many Bind Warpers to reform himself at the cost of a Bind Warper...

"But, but what happens when he runs out of Bind Warpers? What happens when Zetsu backs out of the combination?" Something happens that falls somewhere between "Everything" to "nothing" happening.

"Randolph used his Bind Warper on his neck which is certainly suggestive of the true use/design/purpose of BIND Warpers. But is he in on it or is just a Messanger who merely pretends he has the ear of God?" Call it "shrug of God".

"For a plan of God, it certainly involves a lot of machines... EHHHHHHHHHHHH... DEUS EX MACHINA."

And my mind just hit a wall of its own. And it is exactly the kind of pun this show would revel in.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Continuing my previous thought... "Ehhhhh..."

Yeah.... Randolph is in Shu's body now, isn't he? And yes, I actually did that "ehhhh" thing after I thought how convenient it was that Shu not only made it in and out but came back with an entire plan of confronting "God" yet still have no idea what that "God" is. Cue the moment when my train of thought made a sudden leap.

I expected Shu's backup plan, to have a backup plan, but Randolph overplayed his hand; Bit expected Shu to come back, he hoped he'd come back with some sort of cure for Back but to do all that and more? More than that, to come back with all the answers?!

Shu's backup plan has a backup plan... Oh. Oh. Oh! Shu didn't walk into a trap, his body is the trap!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:43 am Reply with quote
Arrow: Kai! Do the dark balls!

Kai: Nani?!

My sentiments exactly (ok, I'm 12 Laughing).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3