• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fruits Basket the Final

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
the argument that they're doing this because it fits the animated episodic medium better or because it helps the narrative flow doesn't hold water when considering how the previous seasons were composed and the pacing with which the arcs were adapted. But by framing the alterations as a natural result of any adaptation process the actual impact they have on the episodes, the story and the characters doesn't enter the conversation because "it can't be helped," and those who are disappointed with this trend are dismissed as purists who simply can't handle the transition from page to screen.

I know you weren't quoting me, but just to clarify since I did talk about it, I don't think the reason they are re-shuffling/cutting is to better fit the anime medium. While I think the possibility is there, and sometimes it works (other times it does not), the reason is because the material without any cuts would more realistically fit 18-20 episodes, and given the track record with these kinds of adaptations, it makes more sense for a studio to cut things down to fit less episodes than add enough extra material to stretch the story out to 25 (even if almost every fan would greatly prefer the latter). But to be honest, I haven't really seen a lot of dismissing those concerned as just "purists" who can't handle change. If anything, I've seen way more skepticism and concern (to varying degrees obviously) from manga-fans, and anime-onlies getting worried because of it. Maybe I'm not following enough Fruba people on twitter though haha
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:19 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

I know you weren't quoting me, but just to clarify since I did talk about it, I don't think the reason they are re-shuffling/cutting is to better fit the anime medium. While I think the possibility is there, and sometimes it works (other times it does not), the reason is because the material without any cuts would more realistically fit 18-20 episodes, and given the track record with these kinds of adaptations, it makes more sense for a studio to cut things down to fit less episodes than add enough extra material to stretch the story out to 25 (even if almost every fan would greatly prefer the latter).

While I can see the logic behind this and you may well be right, it doesn't necessarily address the central concern that they've known their episode order since the start (it's pretty likely now that Eric Vale's slip-up reveal of 63 episodes was not a fluke) and still chose to adapt and pace the earlier seasons as if they were going to get a full two-cour final season. The reason they're having to cut, condense and rush at this point is a direct consequence of that decision-- and even then, if they had gone back to do the Kyoko chapters and kept everything else this season easily could have been stretched out to 23+ episodes. Heck, toss in some of the side story stuff Takaya has written since to fill out any necessary gaps (like there's a real cute mini chapter with Ritsu and Mine I'd always secretly hoped would get adapted, just to give him another appearance in the show haha). It's not like there's a dearth of material to draw from for additional story, Takaya's been adding to the Furuba universe in like a decade-long slow drip.

Ultimately though, I think this ties into a more general issue of transparency: it's pretty common for anime to announce their episode runs ahead of airing or near to it, and the studio easily could have made the choice to let viewers know what we were getting for this final season instead of leading people on with the (reasonable) assumption it would come out to the same count as previous seasons. That way, we could all adjust our expectations going into it. Maybe there's a good reason for this, and I hope some of the speculation around added episode lengths or OVAs come to fruition (...heh), but it's discomforting to be halfway through the season and still have no confirmation on where to expect everything to land-- again, especially when every announcement for this show emphasized that it would cover the manga's whole story, and the project has clearly been put in a position where that's now going to be nigh impossible. I don't think it's just a matter of what fans would prefer, but of actually delivering on that promise, or at least giving us the opportunity to make informed decisions about how we engage with the material. (Like, maybe I wouldn't have bought the more expensive collector's editions if I had known this was going to be an incomplete adaptation that cuts corners in the last third, but then I guess that's what they were betting on).

KitKat1721 wrote:
But to be honest, I haven't really seen a lot of dismissing those concerned as just "purists" who can't handle change. If anything, I've seen way more skepticism and concern (to varying degrees obviously) from manga-fans, and anime-onlies getting worried because of it. Maybe I'm not following enough Fruba people on twitter though haha

I'm not on Twitter (or basically anywhere these days) at all haha so this is just stuff I've picked up through osmosis and browsing other fan communities, There's definitely a contingency of viewers who are really engrossed in the way the show is doing things, and more power to them; I hope this show touches and moves people and they feel fulfilled with it at the end. And I don't want to cast shade over the whole series, because again anything's possible and by the end of this season I may see this episode in a different light and feel much more at peace with the changes that were made to it.

At the same time, I seem to recall another adaptation that recently got a follow up season which showed some warning signs early on and whose detractors were dismissed as rushing to conclusions....and while I can't say I expect even a worst case Furuba Final to end up as unmitigated a disaster as that one (which, to be fair, I didn't watch, I just enjoyed following the chaos left in its wake haha) it's not hard to see how it could get really derailed with stunts like this episode's cliffhanger. I really see the third act of Furuba as a pretty delicate tightrope walk balancing big reveals with deeply intimate moments that are necessary to allow every dramatic shock to the narrative system to breathe, and I'm not sure how those final reflective chapters are going to land if we've just gunned through the remaining plot material to get there.
motormind

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:01 am Reply with quote
Doesn't anybody else think that Tohru's arc is rather weird and contrived? At first she wants find a way to rid all Somas of the curse, but now she openly admits that she spoiler[only cares about Kyo.] Really? What about Kisa? Doesn't she want her to live curse-free? What about her worrying about Rin? Was that all just a lie? It doesn't endear her to me in the slightest, and it doesn't help that Kyo consistently acts like an insufferable jerk with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I, for one, won't shed a single tear if they finally decide to lock him up and throw away the key.

And what's the deal with Tohru's father? He hardly got any mention, and now all of a sudden he turns out to be a major source of grief for Tohru? What? I also thought Kyoko was a loving and caring mom, and now all of a sudden spoiler[she turns out to have been negligent?] That makes no sense whatsoever, and sounds like a contrived way of making Tohru's background even more dramatic.

After coming this far I will likely finish this one, but man, does this show ever test my patience.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:59 am Reply with quote
Not an anime only but I read spoilers on Furuba Wiki page. It looks like the anime got rid of Katsuya and Kyoko/Katsuya story permanently and it will never be animated after all due to only 13 episodes. They even removed spoiler[ Kyoru moments, baby Tohru, Rin slaps Kagura and Kakeru's backstory.] The anime may never animated of spoiler[ Komaki's father killed Kyoko and he's ended up killing himself.]

No wonder there's announcement of Katsuya's seiyuu (except Ren's and Akira's) and his face may never revealed in anime. I feel bad for anime only people, they will never know more about Kyoko in anime version, I think she's kinda mysterious for anime only people (except for manga readers). I heard from manga readers that the anime "intentionally" removed Kyoko/Katsuya story because it's too controversial due to their age gap. But ironic that the anime didn't remove the Arisa/Kureno age gap.

I may be the only one who thinks season 3 is not good as seasons 1&2 because season 3 have only 13 episodes instead usual 25 episodes in seasons 1&2 and because of it, season 3 is becoming more rushed and chapters/scenes are more skipped and rearrangement. Why they chose one cour instead two cours and then rushing the final season? I thought TMS was promising that the anime will cover the "rest" of the manga? Apparently not in season 3. I feel lied. So much promising of "properly" adapting the rest of the manga.

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Tue May 18, 2021 4:19 am; edited 4 times in total
Oggers

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:18 pm Reply with quote
motormind wrote:
Doesn't anybody else think that Tohru's arc is rather weird and contrived? At first she wants find a way to rid all Somas of the curse, but now she openly admits that she spoiler[only cares about Kyo.] Really? What about Kisa? Doesn't she want her to live curse-free? What about her worrying about Rin? Was that all just a lie? It doesn't endear her to me in the slightest, and it doesn't help that Kyo consistently acts like an insufferable jerk with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I, for one, won't shed a single tear if they finally decide to lock him up and throw away the key.

I get being frustrated, but I feel like your interpretations are a little too negative. Tohru never once says she only cares about breaking Kyo's curse; it's just that she's coming to realize that he's the most important of the Sohmas to her since she's realizing that she's in love with him. And you don't have to like Kyo, but I certainly wouldn't call him an "insufferable jerk" at this point, considering how he's mellowed out a lot since he was first introduced.

motormind wrote:
I also thought Kyoko was a loving and caring mom, and now all of a sudden spoiler[she turns out to have been negligent?] That makes no sense whatsoever, and sounds like a contrived way of making Tohru's background even more dramatic.

She was a loving and caring mom, but the reason she spoiler[became neglectful of Tohru] was because Katsuya's death was too much for her to handle and she basically shut down. While this obviously isn't ideal parenting, it still makes Kyoko more human. And in the end, spoiler[realizing that she'd neglected Tohru when Tohru still needed her] was what made her determined to raise her daughter the best she could from that point on.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Not an anime only but I read spoilers on Furuba Wiki page.

I thought TMS was promising that the anime will cover the "rest" of the manga? Apparently not in season 3. I feel lied. So much promising of "properly" adapting the rest of the manga.

Reading spoilers on the Wiki page does not mean you actually know what is in the manga.

I'm a manga reader and I understand most of the decisions they've made in adapting this material and it's been very successful. No anime ever adapts every single panel of every single page; it's just not feasible or necessary. They really are covering the most important story lines in the manga. Just because some manga readers are outraged that an anime didn't include panel 4 from page 86 of volume 10 doesn't mean it isn't "properly" adapted. Some of the examples you have under spoiler tags are things that seem important when reading the manga but if you are watching the show, the absence does not matter in the whole story. I have always hoped they would cover the Kyoko/Katsuya backstory but you know what? After watching the entire show more than once, I can completely understand why they don't, especially with the heightened awareness of age gap and the issues it causes (although in this case, it's not just the age gap and it is not comparable to the Uochan/Kureno story because their situation is very different from Kyoko and Katsuya). Maybe if they'd decided to do 2 cours it could have happened, but the reality is that this season does not need 24/26 episodes to finish the story satisfactorily. Of course there are some things I wish they had included but all in all, this is one of the best adaptations of source material I've ever watched.

As always, anyone can read the manga if they want. And I hope they do!
catandmouse

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:00 am Reply with quote
I haven’t read the manga in years, so I can’t quite remember the sequence in which things happened, but I do feel like things are happening faster than I remembered. Like I haven’t watched episode 7, but somehow why do I remember the whole Akito stabbing Kureno happening almost at the end of the series? Same for the curse breaking for some of the others. Anyway, sucks they decided to compress the story at the end. Does anyone remember that cap Tohru carries around? Are they gonna cover that at all?
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:07 am Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
Does anyone remember that cap Tohru carries around? Are they gonna cover that at all?

You mean Yuki's baseball cap? Its story has been presented a number of times.
Hurricane Butterfly

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote
spoiler[The curse has begun to crumble, one thread breaks after another...]
I've been waiting to see all this animated since 2019. Wish there were just a little more episodes left... Sad
If TMS would make a movie about FB Another would be very nice. And if Takaya would collaborate with the screenplay, adding details that weren't in the manga, it would be fantastic. But probably this will never happen... Shoujo anime series are quite rare (and left incomplete 99% of the times), and shoujo manga's sequels and spinoffs have always been ignored by anime industry. Rolling Eyes
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:11 am Reply with quote
The anime website seems to confirm there'll be only 13 episodes this season, as DVD 1 and 2 will have 4 episodes each one and DVD 3 will have 5 (episodes 9 to 13)
https://fruba.jp/blu-ray_dvd_cd/detail.php?id=1018345
catandmouse

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:31 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
catandmouse wrote:
Does anyone remember that cap Tohru carries around? Are they gonna cover that at all?

You mean Yuki's baseball cap? Its story has been presented a number of times.

I meant if they are going to delve into the actual flashback of how she end it up with it, but now I remember it’s tied up to Kyo’s memories with Kyoto, so it may not have come up yet.
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
I meant if they are going to delve into the actual flashback of how she end it up with it, but now I remember it’s tied up to Kyo’s memories with Kyoto, so it may not have come up yet.

Those flashbacks were already adapted last season during the Kyoto trip, and they're more Yuki's memories than Kyo's.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:59 am Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:

Unless I've missed something, we've seen that story, too. Little Tohru gets lost, Yuki hears Kyouko's laments to the police, and he goes off and finds Tohru himself. He gives her the cap as a token. What else do we need to know?
db999

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:56 pm Reply with quote
About the Hat, I’m 100% sure we're getting more info on it. Literally, the end of episode 6 was Kyo looking at the hat and immediately having a panic attack over it. I mean we do know that it used to be Kyo’s hat until Yuki picked it up and attempted to return it. So I’d guess we’ll get more of that once the show focuses on Kyo and Toru again. Also, it’s looking like this season's only going to be 12-13 episodes after all. While I do sympathize with fans of the manga who are disappointed in not getting a complete adaptation, as an anime-only watcher, who admittedly does know certain spoilers about the end of the series, I wouldn’t have been able to tell if the fans of the manga didn’t say they were cutting material. The show does feel a bit faster-paced this season, than in the previous 2 but it doesn’t feel rushed. It just feels more like since the show is getting closer to its endgame that the pacing is just naturally getting a bit faster because it’s getting ready to wrap up.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:27 pm Reply with quote
So uhh Funimation released Ep 8 two days early (I'm assuming due to a scheduling error or something). Not going to discuss the actual episode here despite watching since I'm guessing it will get taken down later + no other stations/partners have it up, but ugh my heart.

ETA - Ok its been taken down
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8