• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Odd Taxi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the lottery money will save Kakibana?
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Quote:
However, in reality, broken windows is just smoke and mirrors: a misguided way of thinking that has led to myriad police abuses (e.g. stop-and-frisk) and no provable reduction in crime. Odd Taxi obviously has no fondness for the police

Eh, stop-and-frisk was born more of a gun control way of thinking than broken windows, though the evidence for a reduction of crime of either is pretty low. The evidence for a reduction in crime of having more police officers is fairly strong, though better with foot patrols than in vehicles.

Yep, the problem with policing as cure for broken windows is that it can worse then disease when administered in wrong way, not that the theory is wrong or misguided itself.
Besides, even if the theory was wrong - and it isn't AFAIK - it would in no way make it "offence" for show to have Shirakawa use it as she did. People often use inaccurate statements in real life, like the "we only use 10% of our brain", to explain their ideas, and as show full of realistic dialogue it would be still completely OK to use it there.

I also disagree with reviewer about "his fear of intimacy still causes him to push Shirakawa away". I think he is doing very sensible thing here - even if he still cares about her, as evidenced by the glimpse of her when Imai proposed money to him, and the Dobu deal, but even if I believe she really loves Odokawa, she is at the moment not really someone fit for healthy relationship with him, with all the crap she has still going on. Best he can do for her is free her from her debt and hope she can start getting her life together properly later on her own. I'm also not sure how her relationship with Dobu really looks like - he seems to not be as bad guy as he was made too, so I'd guess if their relation is abusive, it's more in a two-sided, as Odokawa said "codependent" way.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't totally convinced that Odokawa was just seeing people as animals until this episode where he commented it was weird others couldn't tell people apart super easily (like it would be easy for him to find a specific person on a huge college campus).
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I wonder what the plan is for Kakihana. Usually a badger game involves blackmail by catching someone in the act. This just seems more like a kidnapping.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:37 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I wasn't totally convinced that Odokawa was just seeing people as animals until this episode where he commented it was weird others couldn't tell people apart super easily (like it would be easy for him to find a specific person on a huge college campus).

Yeah, and has anyone other than him commented on anything related to animal personas? He mentioned a calico cat to someone at one point, but in circumstances where the listener likely brushed it off as a nonsense remark.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:47 pm Reply with quote
iirc he called the nurse a llama when talking about how he recognized her, and Goriki replied "well but that could've been any llama"
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Yeah, and has anyone other than him commented on anything related to animal personas? He mentioned a calico cat to someone at one point, but in circumstances where the listener likely brushed it off as a nonsense remark.

I think every time he’s used an animal descriptor it could have been interpreted as a joke or something.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:37 pm Reply with quote
So, here is my theory: If it turns out that this is indeed a regular human world and that we are just seeing people like animals through Odokawa's point of view, then I bet the "guest" he keps in that room is spoiler[just a regular cat.]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Yano certainly has a unique way of speaking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:22 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
iirc he called the nurse a llama when talking about how he recognized her, and Goriki replied "well but that could've been any llama"

(Alpaca?) That’s a good point, although I guess if the theory was correct, it might make sense for his doctor to be one of the few people to know about his condition in detail.

Last edited by Sven Viking on Thu May 20, 2021 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:20 am Reply with quote
Actually, I checked and nobody mentions a llama or alpaca in that conversation. Odokawa says he saw her with Dobu “after dropping off a hippo guy”, and the doctor just says “there are plenty of people who look like her from behind.” Odokawa then insists he could tell it was her.

If anything it provides additional weight to the theory imho.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
You're right, not sure how I misremembered that to that extent
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:13 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

You're not the only one who remembers the conversation that way.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:

You're not the only one who remembers the conversation that way.

In the first episode at 23:50, Shirakawa is riding in the backseat of the cab:

Odokawa: "You're taking a taxi after work? Nurses must make good money."
Shirakawa: "You remember me."
Odokawa: "You're the only alpaca around here."
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:55 am Reply with quote
Seems to me there’s a significant contrast between “you’re the only alpaca around here” and “plenty of people look like her from behind” (implying there are plenty of other alpacas around if everyone sees them as animals).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7