• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: To Your Eternity

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:57 am Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Germany for example is called Deuthland in German, Niemcy in Polish and Allemange in French.

Small correction, it's 'Deutschland' and 'Allemagne'

European countries in general tend to have quite varying names depending on language, for example the two Nordic countries, Finland and Sweden, I've lived in;

Finland(English/Swedish), Suomi(Finnish)
Sweden(English), Sverige(Swedish), Ruotsi(Finnish)
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm not so on board with that latest development.
The initial scenario was that the god created the ball as an experiment, to see what happens, how it evolves. Like a second go at creating life. That was cool and interesting.
The Thing being a self-evolving weapon or supersoldier with an ultimate purpose and the god being an active player... is clichéd and kind of lame.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Fushi's ultimate purpose isn't to be a weapon or supersoldier; The Beholder said that their goal is to preserve the world, which isn't that far away from how the scenario appeared to you before this episode. This episode shows that there is an enemy that Fushi needs to defend against, which may necessitate learning how to more effectively defeat it. That is a means to the goal, not the goal itself.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:52 pm Reply with quote
There is a pre-existing enemy and Fushi was created to work against it. That completeky changes its origin and future, giving its existence an extrinsic meaning... which is quite lame. I'm also not looking forward to power-seeking and battles maybe becoming a recurrent part of the plot.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Moderate spoilers for the nature of the enemy that should be revealed later this season: spoiler[The enemy is reacting to Fushi's existence. I wouldn't call them pre-existing as much as fighting against The Beholder's goals. And they can't fight The Beholder directly either. The precise reason for why they attack Fushi should be explained in this season.]
meiam

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I'm not so on board with that latest development.
The initial scenario was that the god created the ball as an experiment, to see what happens, how it evolves. Like a second go at creating life. That was cool and interesting.
The Thing being a self-evolving weapon or supersoldier with an ultimate purpose and the god being an active player... is clichéd and kind of lame.

I'm not too bothered by it but I agree that it's a less interesting development. I think learning for the sake of learning is a perfectly fine goal and anything else just take away from that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:20 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
There is a pre-existing enemy and Fushi was created to work against it.

While the "enemy" may have existed prior to Fushi, I didn't get the idea that that enemy had anything to do with its creation. When the plant-thing first appeared, the Beholder sounded mildly surprised: "What's this? It seems someone has come to play in my garden."

So even if Fushi now has an enemy, the orb doesn't appear to have been created with the goal of fighting it in mind. Sometimes you just have to fight to overcome obstacles, even if those obstacles cropped up unexpectedly after you set out toward your goal.

Despite the noble aim of saving the world that the Beholder claims, it seems to nevertheless view the whole thing primarily as an amusing game. "Someone has come to play... We shall have fun."
Zefram

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I really hope that every storyline in this show doesn't end up with Fushi befriending a kind soul who immediately dies afterwards which would make a whole show an overused cliche. If the show is called "To Your Eternity" and Fushi is an immortal being-orb, I hope some storylines would include him befriending a kind person and that person living a full life regardless of crazy adventures with Fushi and has family, children and everything and then dying of old age while Fushi remains unchanged and him continuing on. So far Fushi got 2 for 2, 2 friendly children who died almost immediately after meeting Fushi. Time for a change in a story.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Zefram wrote:
I hope some storylines would include him befriending a kind person and that person living a full life regardless of crazy adventures with Fushi and has family, children and everything and then dying of old age while Fushi remains unchanged and him continuing on.

We already met one, one that ticks, well, most of those boxes, spoiler[, Hayase, befriending a kind person part omitted...]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Ugh sometimes it’s no fun to know things other people don’t lol

At the same time I am really glad I read the manga without any fan reaction.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:07 am Reply with quote
I'm still bothered by the fact that Rean showed up at the brewery all alone with no retainers, a place shunned by the rest of the people and thought to be dangerous. Seems a highly implausible event. I dislike stories that rely on these mechanisms to move the plot along. Maybe we'll learn more in the weeks ahead. Is there any better explanation for Rean's actions in the manga?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:35 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'm still bothered by the fact that Rean showed up at the brewery all alone with no retainers, a place shunned by the rest of the people and thought to be dangerous. Seems a highly implausible event. I dislike stories that rely on these mechanisms to move the plot along. Maybe we'll learn more in the weeks ahead. Is there any better explanation for Rean's actions in the manga?

There is an explanation, but it hasn't happened yet, so keep watching. This arc is going to last longer than the ones before it, so don't expect things to be revealed as quickly as before (meaning: don't expect it to be fully explained in the next episode).
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that helmet is made of wood, not metal. Its color, its lack of shine, the noises it makes and the fact that a child has to carry it on all day long.

Quote:
Will he someday be able to replicate materials based on his whims, or will it only ever be what was literally attached to the corpses/things that he copies, when he copies them?

We already saw him conjure a whole-ass spear from his own hand, without its original owner being dead.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:15 pm Reply with quote
When Fushi was learning how to laugh, it reminded me of the bizarre OP for Paranoia Agent.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Jeez! This episode pulled at every emotional string I have; joy, sorrow, laughter, heartache, but that ending...my eyes are now permanently lubricated. I go into every episode bracing myself for the inevitable total break down of my soul. I don't think I've ever felt that 'end of a series' feeling after the end of EVERY episode. I'm drained to the point of exhaustion, but If I had binged watched this series? I'd be wrecked...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 14