• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Zombie Land Saga Revenge [2021-04-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:23 am Reply with quote
The accent is a "strange" detail.
It's natural for Yuugiri to talk differently because of her social standing and the time the story takes place, but I don't remember right now... don't people in Saga during this episode talk standard japanese? This is the real strange accent, because people in Kyuushu didn't talked "standard japanese", specially during those times. If I remember right, Saga belonged to Satsuma Domain and that domain was full of dialect, even mutually unintelligible dialect despite their close geographic proximity. In period dramas you always see comments about how characters from the region talk their own language, I think that the Pro Emperor side even used this as an advantage during the Boshin War.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I suspect her accent is what you would expect of a high-class courtesan in the late Edo/early Meiji era. Don't forget she moved to Saga during this episode, presumably from Edo or Kyoto.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
The accent is a "strange" detail.
It's natural for Yuugiri to talk differently because of her social standing and the time the story takes place, but I don't remember right now... don't people in Saga during this episode talk standard japanese? This is the real strange accent, because people in Kyuushu didn't talked "standard japanese", specially during those times. If I remember right, Saga belonged to Satsuma Domain and that domain was full of dialect, even mutually unintelligible dialect despite their close geographic proximity. In period dramas you always see comments about how characters from the region talk their own language, I think that the Pro Emperor side even used this as an advantage during the Boshin War.

The Saga characters do speak the Saga dialect in the episode, just like Sakura, Saki and most background characters do normally in other episodes (Kotaro also speaks it in theory, but as far as I can tell a lot of the time it comes out just as "Mamoru Miyano with a dash of Saga"). I've never heard of Saga being under the Satsuma domain, certainly not in the Bakumatsu era, and either way the Satsuma/Kagoshima dialect is very different from the one in Saga, to the point that some linguists categorize it as its own dialect branch separate from the rest of Kyushu (but not distinct enough to fall under the Ryukyuan languages). And dm has the right idea, Yugiri's speech is what is most commonly associated with Edo courtesans, with the most obvious marker being the copula de arinsu.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:55 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:

The Saga characters do speak the Saga dialect in the episode, just like Sakura, Saki and most background characters do normally in other episodes (Kotaro also speaks it in theory, but as far as I can tell a lot of the time it comes out just as "Mamoru Miyano with a dash of Saga"). I've never heard of Saga being under the Satsuma domain, certainly not in the Bakumatsu era, and either way the Satsuma/Kagoshima dialect is very different from the one in Saga, to the point that some linguists categorize it as its own dialect branch separate from the rest of Kyushu (but not distinct enough to fall under the Ryukyuan languages). And dm has the right idea, Yugiri's speech is what is most commonly associated with Edo courtesans, with the most obvious marker being the copula de arinsu.

I know.
Arg, this is annoying, I'm not with time or willingness to rewatch episodes. It's disconcerting to thing that I managed to deafened myself while watching the series. I just want to have fun with ZLS, so I was trying to not pay attention to the dialogue beyond the tone/emotion. (because I'm studying japanese and if I start paying attention to the words it'll interfere with my enjoyment)
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:56 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's a bummer so far that the touted Yugiri episode ended up concentrating more on that dude and the Saga lore than her. I really hope this mini-arc isn't a bait-and-switch on Yugiri because I really wanted to know what makes her tick or how she came about so the next episode better pick up.

I do wonder if next episode also will get Yugiri more involved because it has shown this episode that she can defend herself. It would be kind of hilarious and awesome next episode actually has a bombastic fight scene with Yugiri. Laughing
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In our real history, Saga separated into its own prefecture again in 1883, about one year after the events of this episode.

Well, according to her bio, Yugiri died in 1882, in December 28. Now I'm betting the reason she goes along with the Zombie Land Saga project is because she couldn't be there when Saga was saved the first time.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:02 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Yeah, it's a bummer so far that the touted Yugiri episode ended up concentrating more on that dude and the Saga lore than her. I really hope this mini-arc isn't a bait-and-switch on Yugiri because I really wanted to know what makes her tick or how she came about so the next episode better pick up.

I do wonder if next episode also will get Yugiri more involved because it has shown this episode that she can defend herself. It would be kind of hilarious and awesome next episode actually has a bombastic fight scene with Yugiri. Laughing

She'll be probably used as a escape goat, maybe Itou you denounce her as "mastermind" that used Kiichi to save his life.
Whatever it is she will die, Kiichi and grandpa will live, that's the dept he has with her.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Yawn pretty boring standard drama. Not a lot of joke, not a lot of zany situation and nothing that would set this apart from most bog standard romance/drama piece except everything has to be rushed out the door in 2 episodes instead of 12, even then the chemistry was pretty weak between our lead, seems like she's just going along with him cause she's bored he's the only one who bothered to try and hit on her. I guess it could still feed into the main narrative but I'm pretty sure all the cameo are just cameo and in the end nothing will really happen. Maybe if your really invested in Saga its interesting, but in the end its just a prefecture, whether or not its its own things is really not that important.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Turned out like predicted.
Itou was the government, Yuugiri got the blame because from where she came and her contacts, Grandpa is the bartender/Xu Fu, Kotaro is Kiichi's descendant. That they tied Kotaro's goal to revive Saga to a classic Meiji Trope is very in line with the series and the execution was excellent.

What now?
Reporter will finally find the clue he needed on those old photos, but what will he do with this information? Kotaro wants to do nothing bad or questionable (besides having revived people against their will).
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
That they tied Kotaro's goal to revive Saga to a classic Meiji Trope is very in line with the series and the execution was excellent.

Yeah, this may now be my favorite episode of the franchise because of that. (Well, that and the song at the end is probably my favorite of the franchise, too.) It also explained quite well why Yugiri specifically was chosen to participate in this project.

Is Tae now the only girl whose background hasn't been delved into?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Itou was the government, Yuugiri got the blame because from where she came and her contacts, Grandpa is the bartender/Xu Fu, Kotaro is Kiichi's descendant. That they tied Kotaro's goal to revive Saga to a classic Meiji Trope is very in line with the series and the execution was excellent.

Wait, did I missed something? In which part of the episode was it confirmed that Kotaro is Kiichi's dscendant?
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(Well, that and the song at the end is probably my favorite of the franchise, too.)

Even though I'm not an idol fan, I picked up a soundtrack for this series --- "Franchouchou: the best". It came with a blu-ray music video of this wonderful song.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Is Tae now the only girl whose background hasn't been delved into?

This is now another little mystery for us.
I guess that the reporter found an old photo that he will use to question Kotaro, but which photo exactly? It's a copy of that photo with Yuugiri, Kiichi and Itou that it's in the bar or the it's other photo in the studio window, that one with "Tae"?
Tae is zombie number "Zero". Recently I see a number of people suggest that her resurrection was a mistake, that Kotaro wanted to revive Sakura but got the wrong grave because Sakura and Tae family graves are neighbors. It's a mistake easy to believe but now there's this other possibility, that Kotaro wanted to revive Yuugiri first but for some reason by error or by test proof he got Tae instead. Those cameos may be a distraction to make us think that the zombies are all descendants from people and families that have roots in Saga for a long time but the truth may be that zombie number Zero is the very same person as the one in the photo that we saw in the previous episode. That would be why her mannerism in the photo is the same as the zombie Tae, meaning that zombie Tae is already fully awake and this is really how she was (that would be great!).

John the Dark Lord wrote:

Wait, did I missed something? In which part of the episode was it confirmed that Kotaro is Kiichi's dscendant?

It's not said or explained, but that's the logical conclusion.
If it's not Kiichi "must be" a direct descendant.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

I guess that the reporter found an old photo that he will use to question Kotaro, but which photo exactly? It's a copy of that photo with Yuugiri, Kiichi and Itou that it's in the bar or the it's other photo in the studio window, that one with "Tae"?

This photo is seen when Yugiri leaves the post office and walks past the photographer's shop about 9:59 into the episode.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:33 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
This photo is seen when Yugiri leaves the post office and walks past the photographer's shop about 9:59 into the episode.

Yes, those photos.
There's a copy of Yuugiri, Kiichi and Itou photo out there that the reporter found, or he found that other photo that shows "Tae"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9