• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord Omega

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:16 pm Reply with quote
There was a little bit of extra focus on the rings, so I thought they were going to be going for some sort of manipulation angle with Varakness's wives (and how he would get Laminitus), but then Diablo showed up and killed them all. So that was a more unique route to take I wasn't expecting Laughing
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:24 pm Reply with quote
^ The Rings become more important later on. In the LN, it's explained that people used to raid Diablo's dungeon, that he himself made, and that *he* would provide them with loot if they beat him, though no one ever did. He "put on a show" for anyone who made it to challenge him, except for one type of adventurer... If he saw a male/female pair wearing wedding rings (which are specific items in the game), the show ended, and the vicious slaughter began. This information was largely edited out of the anime.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
Except that Diablo has done just that last season. Remember Alicia, the cute knight who tried to get poor Klem to commit genocide? Yeah, she wasn't "scantily clad", but the point still stands.

He didn't spare her because she was scantily clad or attracted to her or anything of the sort. He spared her because he could kinda sympathize with her motives, even if he didn't necessarily go with her methods. It also probably helped that she ran into Diablo and his group and... well, admittedly forced them by knifepoint so Klem could save Edelgard's life.

How this compares to Varky's harem, I don't know yet as I'm holding on to the latest episode a little bit.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Except that Diablo has done just that last season. Remember Alicia, the cute knight who tried to get poor Klem to commit genocide? Yeah, she wasn't "scantily clad", but the point still stands.

He didn't spare her because she was scantily clad or attracted to her or anything of the sort. He spared her because he could kinda sympathize with her motives, even if he didn't necessarily go with her methods. It also probably helped that she ran into Diablo and his group and... well, admittedly forced them by knifepoint so Klem could save Edelgard's life.

How this compares to Varky's harem, I don't know yet as I'm holding on to the latest episode a little bit.

Ah, were you taking about the In-Universe reason for sparing them? I thought you meant that in a Meta level, like "the audience finds this villainess to be cute/pretty/sexy, so I can't kill her off". I mean, I can't really remember any anime were the main character decided to spare a villain because they find her to be attractive. Usually they spare them because she has a tragic backstory or because he can sympathize with her motives. You know, just like what happened with Alicia back in Season 1
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Ah, were you taking about the In-Universe reason for sparing them? I thought you meant that in a Meta level, like "the audience finds this villainess to be cute/pretty/sexy, so I can't kill her off". I mean, I can't really remember any anime were the main character decided to spare a villain because they find her to be attractive. Usually they spare them because she has a tragic backstory or because he can sympathize with her motives. You know, just like what happened with Alicia back in Season 1

I was only really talking about why Diablo chose to spare Alicia, since you brought that up. I do kind of get what Andramus is talking about, though, but let's also not forget that Diablo also kinda spared Shera's complete trash bag of a brother, even if it was kinda mostly on her request. Galford -- who literally tried starting a war between humans and elves, and DID decapitate Shera's brother when Diablo didn't kill the guy -- was also spared by Diablo. So I'd say the kill/spare quota is actually mmmmostly evenly shared between genders in this case. Heck, I'm pretty sure Diablo would even have spared Batutta if he wasn't so insistent on going his merry way on the road to self-destruction.

Saddler was killed, of course, but by Klem in her blind rage. And... well, Gregory didn't specifically die, but you might argue that his fate could be considered one worse than death. Maybe. It's also worth noting that Alicia did actually try to kill herself after Klem had healed up Edelgard, but the others put a stop to that.

Mostly, I just get the impression that the people who were spared (Shera's brother aside, before his prompt beheading) were spared because Diablo or someone else thought they could do better. Alicia, for as little as we saw of her at the end of the first season, seemed to quickly pick up on that and make good on it. Not sure where Edelgard is standing in this, but it seems like she's putting Klem's desires over whatever ones she has herself about the humans. I think Diablo, and maybe Lumachina even more, kind of wanted Batutta to return to the person they thought he was at first, but he refused that, and perished for his trouble. As for Varakness... well, I'll find out later tonight, but I think I can hazard a guess, given his attitude in the last episode we saw him in. Whether anyone think the people who were spared deserved said leniency, well....
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
The show leaves the Laminitus scene a bit hanging in its latest episode. Although it might have been implied it never spells the reason she was trying to seduce Diablo was to make him stay in the city. It also leaves out the fact that because of Diablo's decision not to, she'll give the order to evacuate the city because they can't hope to stand against the coming threat without him.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I get that Diablo's inexperience can cause him to not be sure to act with the women he's with, but this opening scene stretched that a bit too thin. If Laminitus had been there naked and asking him for sex I'd expect Diablo to wonder what she means by that Rolling Eyes
Joryn

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:14 am Reply with quote
I'm sure there could be a myriad of reasons why they ended the Laminitus stuff the way they did, but I imagine they might have cut it short that way to avoid taking the scene to lewd levels they weren't allowed to. There are several scenes throughout the LNs, including the aforementioned Laminitus scene that would require them to going to Interspecies Reviewers levels of lewd. Also, considering that Diablo's reactions to those events usually had him panicking internally like he does, and letting it happen, but pretending that something else was happening. One could also say those scenes were non-consensual based on that. The point I'm trying to make with all that is they may be trying to avoid that stuff by cutting that whole interaction short.

That said, I can't remember if the LNs really dug into why Laminitus was doing that, beside what the anime stated, that she was trying to entice him to stay.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:43 am Reply with quote
Joryn wrote:
That said, I can't remember if the LNs really dug into why Laminitus was doing that, beside what the anime stated, that she was trying to entice him to stay.

This is the relevant passage, Prologue Volume 6;
Quote:
“It seems We have been rejected in favor of another woman, so We will be taking our leave.”
“What about the town?”
“We are no fool. If you leave, We have no option left but to evacuate.”
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
^I checked out the relevant manga pages and it definitely plays out differently. It's not Interspecies Reviewers level (in fact there's nothing they worse then they've already done), but it does play out differently and isn't so "harsh" on Diablo.
Strange that they went this route.
James S.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
^I checked out the relevant manga pages and it definitely plays out differently. It's not Interspecies Reviewers level (in fact there's nothing they worse then they've already done), but it does play out differently and isn't so "harsh" on Diablo.
Strange that they went this route.

If you compare the fanservice scenes from earlier episodes with their counterparts in the light novels, you'll notice that practically all were censored and two, the bath scene with Shera and the Laminitus one that just happened, had anime original content either shoved in at the last moment (the bait and switch showing Shera washing Diablo's horns was definitely not so in the LN) or replacing the scene entirely (Laminitus' scene while similar in method was executed differently in the novel and Diablo didn't run out on her either).

As a side note this episode's contents were from a later volume (vol 8 iirc) as there was only a brief visit to Faltra in Volume 6 (where we currently are at) before heading to the capital. This change makes a bit of sense since already most of the cast of season 1 got sidelined so it was nice to have them show up.

That said, Tezuka as a whole has just been rather subpar, and while I am still enjoying the show for what it's worth, you can immediately tell that the studio's just going through the motions in comparison to season 1 where you could feel the love put into the work on every episode. Does anyone even know why Demon Lord changed studios? The effort put in just makes me question why Tezuka bothered to pick up a show that's just going to be halfassed. It's grating in the way that One Punch Man Season 2 and the latest season of Attack on Titan felt.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:04 am Reply with quote
From what I gathered online this will only have 10 eps. With only 3 eps left they can finish the events of vol 6 but will likely leave it on a cliff hanger as the events of vol 7 are teased at the epilogue of 6.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:28 pm Reply with quote
That has got to be one of the most out of place ending credits music used over the end of an episode I can remember.

That up beat music was the polar opposite of what was happening on screen -_-
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote
They inserted Europa in there for some reason. He was supposed to be in a future arc. I guess this is the biggest indicator that they have no plan of making a season 3. Tezuka really screwed this one up
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:00 pm Reply with quote
So what service is this streaming on? The review says it's on Crunchyroll (sub) and Funimation (dub), but I can't find it on either of their services. Only season 1.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3