• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Combatants Will Be Dispatched!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I actually found episode 7 to be funny. The jokes were not about being perverted to someone that makes them uncomfortable, instead you had jokes of personalities come into conflict. Like Six trying to act cool with Snow's sword that she can be very greedy over, which he breaks that would upset her, but she gets given an even better sword and that greed comes across differently. Six having a problem with eating intelligent creatures, but that is not shared by others like Snow, and especially Rose. And Alice logics her way around testing the validity of magic and demoralises a high demon, which was funny enough when Grimm did the whole evil demon summoning thing by accident, and despite her image she can't even hurt a rabbit. The meat she brought looked like a snout, which was probably orc meat, going back to how Six refused to eat such a creature.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:

I'm not saying your wrong (as the blade tip falls off what appears to be a straight sword and logically they would want to be hiding the broken blade) but if you're not wrong, then someone on the storyboarding side really dropped the ball. Not only do we never see Tigerman pick up the broken blade, in the shots before, the sword he is holding is definitely his unsheethed katana while his other hand appears to be free.

You're definitely right about the timing. I re-watched it and there is a brief moment where we hear Snow as she's approaching before we see her. The camera then cuts to her coming in to view. So during that short time Tiger Man would have had to put away the katana and then pick up the blade. A bit much for that short time, but not impossible.

Just to further back my claim, you can see in the last shot that his hand is at the bottom of the screen holding the blade. So unless he decided to hold his katana by the blade that way (which he unsheathes to show when he gives it to Snow, making that a continuity error if it was the katana), I think it really can't be anything else. That could also be why there was no joke pay off like you said. Unless that's being saved for later (though I think she's used the sword by now)

Speaking of swords, I really like the design of the swords Snow uses where the handle is off-set from the blade. I imagine it's incredibly impractical and fragile that way, but it looks nice.
...maybe that's why her swords keep breaking, she keeps going for style over substance Laughing

DuskyPredator wrote:
Six having a problem with eating intelligent creatures, but that is not shared by others like Snow, and especially Rose.

I forgot about that. I wonder if they're desperate for food if they're resorting to eating Orcs (and presumably other creatures in the enemies' army)
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:32 am Reply with quote
unless a novel reade has extra info, the joke was more of a leta joke on how more modern swords are better than ancient ,legendary swords.
exhibit a, its rumoured that excalibur was just an iron/steel sword in bronze times.
exhibit b. take the most powerful, hundred folded katana, yet its steel was so low quality compared to modern times that you can gey a better sword from a modern blacksmith who uses , for example, a tractors suspension as the material for the blade
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Chekhov's gun: "If you show a gun in the first act, you should fire it in the final act."
Combined with
Zardoz.: "The gun is good and also is my penis." And, yes, there are multiple ways to read this sentence and they all apply in Zardoz and in this episode of Combatants Will be Dispatched. Is it time to talk about its own multiple meanings yet? No, we're still on the penis? Man, we got to get off one of these days...

So where was I? Penis festival? Six's six shooter? A Japanese party trick?
"You will know me as the Lord when I lay my finger upon thee." ... time to paraphrase what I've thinking since I saw that scene: I don't think Six is Japanese. That wasn't a top knot, that was a complete hair piece.

Stuff not penis related:
Snow and Hiney competing for the Prince's affection which thanks to a particular spell ended up being a race to the bottom, ha hiney, Grimm being Grimm in every way but useful and rose possibly meeting her match Chimera demon lord- who would have eaten other demons?

Any way, top knot, I mean TOP NOTCH episode of humor, political intrigue, humor, raunchiness, humor and humor.
And I'm not going to lie, I can't get enough of Heine. Much better than Snow, as a character, of course.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Considering Grimm's desire to get married (and presumably start a family), you'd think she'd be a bit more careful about letting loose a curse like that when it could have rebounded to her Laughing

It's pretty amusing that the "pure" prince was getting offered far more than the lecherous prince probably would have gotten since he (presumably) wouldn't have held back
Mencor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Considering Grimm's desire to get married (and presumably start a family), you'd think she'd be a bit more careful about letting loose a curse like that when it could have rebounded to her Laughing

It's pretty amusing that the "pure" prince was getting offered far more than the lecherous prince probably would have gotten since he (presumably) wouldn't have held back

The curse is probably risk free, women aren't impotent since that is an inability to get it up. If she said sterile there could have been a risk of her getting infertile, I am fairly sure that the japanese don't conflate the two terms.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Mencor wrote:

The curse is probably risk free, women aren't impotent since that is an inability to get it up. If she said sterile there could have been a risk of her getting infertile, I am fairly sure that the japanese don't conflate the two terms.

Ah, you're right, I did conflate impotence and infertility. Good call.

Worth noting though that women can experience impotence (which is sexual dysfunction, not just ED), though that is less likely to prevent having children.

Still a risking gamble!
andramus

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Having grown up in Australia my attitudes to the age of consent are somewhat different to what I see depicted in most American media as well as the attitudes I see coming from a lot of American commenters and reviewers.

Out of the 8 states and territories in Australia 6 of them have a legal age of consent of 16 with the remaining 2 being 17. Growing up as a teen and young adult I always thought it was 16 and didn't know about the two exceptions until years later.

Of course then you get into the murkier issue of age gaps. Even though it's technically legal for a 40 year old to have a sexual relationship with a 16 year old as lackadaisical as I am even I think that's pretty suss. That said a 20 year old or someone in their very early twenties such as 22 doesn't really bother me the way it seems to bother a lot of Americans.

A bit over a decade ago my younger cousin who was 19 or 20 at the time was with a 15(I think) year old girl for a couple of years. (I just checked and a 5 year age proximity is a legal exception allowed by their local state laws to the minimum age of consent). Whilst I was visiting my grandparents they came to stay for a couple of nights and my grandmother who is very prudish made up a room for them. They ended up having a daughter together who is around 12 or 13 I think. I never really caught any sense of disapproval from any of my extended family about their relationship. Perhaps just a general feeling that a teen pregnancy is sub-optimal without thinking the child shouldn't exist.

Of course there's what the law says and then there's how you personally feel about these issues. My rule of thumb as a starting point is how I feel about two people the same age having sex and how actively I feel it should be discouraged or suppressed. I read a news article a couple of years ago about an 11 year old girl giving birth and the father turning out to also be 11 and it made me feel queasy. If it's two 15 year olds then I think it's mostly fine and by 16 it's their business.

After that there's the question of age differences. My rule of thumb is that if there is a 5 year or less age gap and the younger person is over 15 then I'm not especially bothered.

All of this is a roundabout way of me getting to the point of saying that if Agent 6 was 19 or 20 and Rose was 15 I wouldn't be bothered by them hooking up. Especially if Agent 6 was 19. However if Rose was only 14 that would cross my personal moral boundary.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
It didn't seem out of character for Six (not pursuing it, but not being opposed to it when offered), so it doesn't really change my opinion of him.

I thought the localization of the back and forth between Six and Rose was fine, but I thought it went on a bit too long and wasn't as funny to me because of that.

Before they got in to that bit, I figured Rose was going to eat Grimm (or have already started). I mean, presumably (hopefully?) she'd be fine and back to normal once resurrected. Just don't eat all of her so there's something to start with Laughing

Agreed that there wasn't enough Grimm this episode, though her dying so fast did fit

Quote:
I do like that the information on the ruins that the Princess was offering as a reward for gathering the water seeds wasn't really a reward—it was a trick to get Six and crew to fight the demons in the ruins and stop them from getting their hands on an ancient weapon. With the desert mission a failure, she simply drops the pretense and sends them anyway.

I took it that the reward was legit (and the demons weren't there), but now with everything that happened, it could no longer be held as a reward as there was a greater need to send Six and crew to deal with the opposition regardless. Presumable they showed up in the interim while they were trouncing across the desert.

Quote:
The Kisaragi leaders beat the heroes after all! Good on them. Does that mean that they have finished conquering Earth?

Probably depends if they won the battle or the war. Their exhaustion suggests the war, but it could have just been a large battle.[/code]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So Six is thinking that Rose wants to “eat him up” in a sexual way (as in
And that was where I Full Stopped; Japanese puns are not funny but farces involving sex and cannibalism... not what's going on, Rose isn't human... let's just say sex and eating in this case has a long history and an even longer history of people not getting the joke or at least the connection. Rose likes to eat Meat, she's a Maneater... And Six being Sex thought it involved at least oral. And yes. Yes it did.

Age of Consent in the fantasy setting: I never bring my own preconceived feelings in to it as it's based upon history or at least the writer's own fetishes. A baseline example: the show that crossed the line for me was Save Me Lollipop which started with a girl who was 13 and who first choice was three years older and whose second choice was at least three years older again... so a 13 year old girl and 18 year old guy in a real world setting was a definite X for me. No surprise she was aged up in the dub.

I register a Rose and Six couple being a problem in terms of species more than the differences in their ages.

"And Six spent the night beating Rose which gave them all the Evil Points he needed." Whatever gets you through the night but fighting for your life against an assailant trying to kill you shouldn't get you Evil Points. Whatever could he have been doing while he was grappling with her? A question I won't even begin to answer.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:19 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

The Kisaragi leaders beat the heroes after all! Good on them. Does that mean that they have finished conquering Earth?

Quote:
Probably depends if they won the battle or the war. Their exhaustion suggests the war, but it could have just been a large battle.

The word they used was "gekitai" (撃退, げきたい), which basically means they drove the heroes back, not that they finished them off.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
. A baseline example: the show that crossed the line for me was Save Me Lollipop which started with a girl who was 13 and who first choice was three years older and whose second choice was at least three years older again... so a 13 year old girl and 18 year old guy in a real world setting was a definite X for me. No surprise she was aged up in the dub.

I read the Mamotte! Lollipop (Save Me Lollipop) manga years ago but I didn't remember that age gap so i search for the characters age.
So Nina was 12 at the beginning and 22 at the last volume.
Zero was 13 at the beginning and 23 at the last volume.
Ichii was 15 at the beginning and 25 at the last volume.
I don't know if they changed the ages for the anime dub but in the original never had a 13 years old girl and 18 years old guy.
Quote:
All in all, in Japanese—with the wordplay and cultural context—it turns out to be pretty funny. However, it comes off a lot creepier in English, and might make Six irredeemable in the eyes of the viewers. I look forward to reading the comments on this one and seeing how it is regarded by the non-Japanese-speaking viewers.

I read and watch enough manga and anime to understand the wordplay and find it very funny.
Also in my country this kind of sexual humor are used very often in comedy, so is normal for most people.
Most anime/manga/ LN fans in my country don't care about age gap in fiction works, at least from what I read in anime/manga fan sites and social media.
AdamW
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:38 pm Reply with quote
My favorite detail about this episode is that Kisaragi apparently has a sexual harassment policy...
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote
AdamW wrote:
My favorite detail about this episode is that Kisaragi apparently has a sexual harassment policy...

They may be evil but they're not monsters.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
review wrote:
In other words, Lilith's actions suggest that evil points is something tangible rather than just an arbitrary currency. Perhaps Lilith has figured out how to use evilness as a power source for all their technology or something. This would imply that the three girls are only “evil” because they wanted access to the power required to accomplish their goals

I did hear that the writing of this series falls apart a bit since it was the authors first work. Maybe this is a sign of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4