• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andramus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:20 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
You owe it to yourself, then, to look up JK Haru is a Sex Worker in Another World.

I have actually read that but thanks for the recommendation. Although I haven't gotten around to reading the short story collection yet. I think I started it but got sidetracked and never got back to it.

I thought JK Haru was good but it wasn't quite the type of MC I meant. I've seen a few isekai series now about the female protagonist being summoned as a Saint/Priestess to bless/purify the land and as far as I can recall they've all been maidens. One of the earliest examples I can remember is Fushigi Yugi where it was explicitly stated that being a virgin was a prerequisite for the job. Also that the priestess would become powerless if she was no longer a virgin.

I was just thinking it would be a nice change of pace to have a MC Saint/Priestess who has/had a lover before being isekai-ed to bless/purify the land. If it was a lover in the present tense that might also provide a bit of internal character conflict over pursuing a romantic prospect in the isekai setting.

Of course you could have a sex worker or sexually promiscuous (not intended derogatorily) woman be the summoned Saint/Priestess. Which could be interesting. I could see it playing comedically or dramatically where the summoned Saint/Priestess is not what the summoners expected or desired. On the other hand it could also be played as no big deal and have no impact on the story whatsoever.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:09 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

Keep in mind though that maiden has not always been about purity, but the vampire modern lore has done a lot to associate them together. Well all I mean is that we might be jumping the gun to assume a brief mention of maiden as to imply all that.

I agree with this - "maiden" in an anime and manga sense typically seems to imply "young woman" rather than "virgin" in my reading/watching experience. It's more about youth and naivete than sexual activity.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:30 am Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
I was just thinking it would be a nice change of pace to have a MC Saint/Priestess who has/had a lover before being isekai-ed to bless/purify the land. If it was a lover in the present tense that might also provide a bit of internal character conflict over pursuing a romantic prospect in the isekai setting.

Outside of hentai, I doubt you'll ever see this (or at least much of it) unless otaku culture in Japan changes, though. The whole "waifu" culture - where characters can be sexy but not sexed - is still very potent. That's why I was quite surprised that something like JK Haru ever got published, as it bucks that hard. (But I guess you could classify it as hentai. . .)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shime26

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:09 am Reply with quote
it turned out informative and rich
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:33 am Reply with quote
With the anime set to cover Seijo’s 1st 4 books, spoiler[Vol 4 wraps up the Klausner arc] this only leaves Vols 5-7 left for adaptation.
Vol 7 only came out in Japan last month; so I predict any decision to make a S2 based on available material will only come after more book volumes get released (new volumes tend to come out roughly every 7-8 months minimum.)
https://kadokawabooks.jp/product/s53/
Penrhos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:19 am Reply with quote
Aria's firepower is pretty good - I'm beginning to think that they are both needed to overcome the current threat (which is why two "Saints" were summoned) - one for attack the other for defence & healing.

Looks pretty clear that this season will cover up to the end of this "mission". I'm not sure there is enough material for season 2 at this point which is a pity as it's pretty underrated and I'm not sure if the LN or JPBD's will sell in huge quantities so we may never get anymore Sei being flustered scenes...

As a side note I can't wait for Funimation to pickup "JK Haru" and then drop it after a few episodes as it's "Outside company standards" - now if Sentai picked it up and screened it on ATX sign me up!
Penrhos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:03 pm Reply with quote
And Episode 12 ends and she still she doesn't kiss him.....But she does call it "Home"....

Granny Corinna, Yuri and Aria have all twigged she loves Albert and that's where her summoning power comes from. All Sei needs to do is make the move on him and there will be golden showers for the whole kingdom!

The show's been like lockdown comfort food - not the best thing, but just what you needed to sit back and relax after another frustrating day sat working from home.

if season two pops up I'll probably watch it, but wouldn't be upset if this is all we got. They adapted the source pretty well and the art & music was adequate if not outstanding.

A solid 7/10
ab2143

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this series. Nice and relaxing show to watch on Tuesdays.

The cheesy music at the end of the final episode made me laugh.

Will check out the light novels at some point!
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I laughed when Drewes literally rapidly slid off shot side ways as a still frame when he was told off. Literally exited right.

Well there hasn't been much to talk about in the last 3 episodes. We have been reinforcing the theme's we established in the series and been watching the slow burn of Sei and Hawkes relationship. @Penrhos said they didn't kiss but there was that scene where the last shot after Hawke was confirming his support for Sei where we see her step forward into his space. That could very easily be a subtle version of them having a first kiss.

None of the slightly worrying subtext of the expedition came about. The knowing not talk between the ruler of the land and Corinna (I think?) didn't come to anything. Maybe it was just possessing the diary that was their secret. Neither did Mr Bear offer any challenge to their romance after being warned off by Hawke. Though I suppose he was too much of a good boy. He kept having offside looks as to say there was more to him than he let on but it seems that was just care for the forest.

As such the final episodes where just more pleasant light romance with a dangerous animals subplot. Sei finding herself more and a slightly worrying monster presence that was solved as soon as it posed a threat. It was good easy fair that I will remember fondly but perhaps not recommend as a standout that I thought it might be in its first 5 episodes.
09jcg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
andramus wrote:

Outside of hentai, I doubt you'll ever see this (or at least much of it) unless otaku culture in Japan changes, though. The whole "waifu" culture - where characters can be sexy but not sexed - is still very potent. That's why I was quite surprised that something like JK Haru ever got published, as it bucks that hard. (But I guess you could classify it as hentai. . .)
Without getting to far into spoiler territory, Mushoku Tensei LN spoilers for vol 6 and beyond spoiler[ I was pretty shocked that pretty much all the "waifus" have sex. I know Rudy is a perv, but pretty much all the female cast get into some sort of sexual relationship and they're not looked down on for it][/spoiler]
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:45 pm Reply with quote
That was nice, I didn't expect the series to give me surprises by not sticking to the shoujo romance tropes. Traditional romance is a treat on its own.

I do like that the penultimate scene is not about defeating the monster, but restoring the damage caused by the fight. This may be a plot device to show a peak magical romantic moment between Sei and Hawke. But this series has been highlighting the care for nature, from Sei's interest in herbs, her work in plant-based potion, the previous Saint's issue with the barren lands, and this final fight with the caution of not harming the forest.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I re-watched the bit where Hawke walks Sei back to her tent and makes his declaration and I'm not convinced Sei steps in enough to kiss Albert, maybe I'm wrong, but they do seem more touchy-feely following that confession, so at least they both know how the other feels.

All we need now is the Volume 8 to be completed and there will be enough material for a second series (if adapted at the current 3 episodes per volume speed).

Pity only the first three volumes of the LN are officially available translated into English.

It'd be nice to see Sei & Albert settle down and become an isekai family.

Having read spoiler[all of MT it's the only Isekai I can think of where the MC gets married, has sex and children in their new life, most seem to stop with either a Harem or some unrequited love interest (normally the Tusundere one).]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9