• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix, Koei Tecmo's Team Ninja Reveal Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin Action

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:24 pm Reply with quote
This was the funniest thing at the presentation, and this was a presentation that had a Guardians of the Galaxy game! Just...WOW, this is every poe-faced, grumbly, 7th generation cliche at once. And then there was the press release with Nomura saying "The theme is a story about an angry man!" Holy crap, this narrative is going to be a disaster!

The gameplay looks fine what with it being Team Ninja. Still, oof, that announcement was a doozy
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Was anyone asking for a dark and gritty FF1 reboot where the cast can't stop talking about "Chaos?"

Oh well, at least Cherami Leigh is in this and Chris Sabat is still Garland.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:06 am Reply with quote
Square never really understood what they had with final fantasy. It's a franchise, so you can capitalize on people already being familiar with the material and feeling "safe" when buying it, but at the same time every game can be it's own unique things, which help keeps things fresh without having to do reboot every 4-5 entry. Yet they keep trying to do other game set in the same universe as previous game and they almost never work (literally the only one I can think of is crisis core). I'm sure if that game was set in its own universe and had no relation to FF1 it sale numbers would have been literally identical. Especially FF1 whose story is really on the light side and chaos is really not an interesting character.
igiari21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:57 am Reply with quote
Y'all are killjoys lol, this was literally the best part of the presentation. Over half of it was superhero guff, this was the only thing remotely intriguing and fleshed out. All for this edgy as heck game by Team Ninja.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:08 am Reply with quote
If you watch this with your eyes closed it is indistinguishable from a new Shadow the Hedgehog game until they namedrop Garland.
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:51 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this trailer. That said, I did take a drink every time they said chaos so I barely remember the actual trailer. Hmmm
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:41 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
And then there was the press release with Nomura saying "The theme is a story about an angry man!" Holy crap, this narrative is going to be a disaster!

Seems like a unique theme for Final Fantasy given we've never had that before. Emo guys, yes, but not angry ones. Only part I dislike it the protagonists look generic as hell. Are they just 3 random dudes from the real world who get isekai'd into a Final Fantasy game?
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:30 am Reply with quote
The way the gameplay looked, it almost looked like a DMC1-esque game in terms of atmospheric tone. Just a lot more heavier. When I first heard the rumors, I was expecting something like Nioh or Ninja Gaiden and for it to be a lot more frantic.

I'm absolutely down for them trying new stuff and experimenting. Just hoping they can stick the landing and we don't get another NG3/DOA6 where they fail to impress any party.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 am Reply with quote
igiari21 wrote:
Y'all are killjoys lol, this was literally the best part of the presentation. Over half of it was superhero guff, this was the only thing remotely intriguing and fleshed out. All for this edgy as heck game by Team Ninja.

Well despite being laughably ridiculous and having a visual style as bland as oatmeal, it was a genuinely hilarious experience so yeah in a way it was prolly the best part of the presentation.
Fakerman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:35 am Reply with quote
"Character design is hard (laughs)"
- nomura, 2021
"Chaos Chaos is the new darkness darkness (laughs)"
- nojima, 2021
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:21 am Reply with quote
The Dissidia NT and not the Nioh team is doing this. That´s where the middling gameplay came from. The 11/10 writing reminds me of the PS1 or of Japanese budget games on the PS2. KINO.

Babylon's Fall looks worse though. PS3 era SE is back it seems and I don´t even like the FF VII remake line so... yeah. Chaos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:51 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The Dissidia NT and not the Nioh team is doing this. That´s where the middling gameplay came from. The 11/10 writing reminds me of the PS1 or of Japanese budget games on the PS2. KINO.

Babylon's Fall looks worse though. PS3 era SE is back it seems and I don´t even like the FF VII remake line so... yeah. Chaos.

The gameplay will probably be fine considering how well Nioh went, it's just everything else looks like a hilarious trainwreck. Nomura and Nojima do not have the skillset to do a story about righteous anger like Asura's Wrath.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
If you watch this with your eyes closed it is indistinguishable from a new Shadow the Hedgehog game until they namedrop Garland.

Good thing not all of us played Shadow The Hedgehog.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
He repeats Chaos more often than Eren Titans. It kinda looks like an isekai with everybody's clothing
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Was anyone asking for a dark and gritty FF1 reboot where the cast can't stop talking about "Chaos?"

Game development almost never involves developers making something players want but rather what they think players will like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2