• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Odd Taxi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:33 am Reply with quote
After Odawara's strangling flashback and his fear of water, I'm thinking the package tossed at the beginning of Ep 1 was not the missing girl, but Odawara when he was a child. That opening scene ends with Odawara waking from a nightmare of drowning, with the same air bubbles we saw in the strangling scene, which makes me think the opening shot was part of his nightmare and not a separate event. If so, the why and how he was saved is anyone's guess.
Bexarath

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:12 am Reply with quote
This series was a slow burn at first, but now it's sailed up as my favorite anime of the season. I'm really hoping they stick the landing.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:27 am Reply with quote
Just hoping they will explain that Deus Ex Capoeira saving the day out of thin air, that's literally the only thing that bothered me in this entire anime, the writing so far has been stellar.

Could be foreshadowing for something else too, though, so I'll hold that thought til the very end.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:14 pm Reply with quote
At this point I encourage anyone invested in this anime to listen to the audio dramas. Someone is subbing them here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgYJolgh0UQU7f5abHZhUrg/videos.

The translated transcription of the other ones not yet subbed can be read here:
https://oddtaxi.fandom.com/wiki/Odd_Taxi_(audio_drama)

The implications of today's episode and the latest audio drama are really interesting...
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:23 am Reply with quote
Oh wow episode 11 is a humdinger

Pieces of the puzzle are starting to fall in to place
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
At this point I encourage anyone invested in this anime to listen to the audio dramas. Someone is subbing them here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgYJolgh0UQU7f5abHZhUrg/videos.

I'm going to have to watch for that lucky pen the next time I go through this series.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Is the preview for next week's episode teasing the first reptile in the series!?
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:31 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Just hoping they will explain that Deus Ex Capoeira saving the day out of thin air, that's literally the only thing that bothered me in this entire anime, the writing so far has been stellar.

Could be foreshadowing for something else too, though, so I'll hold that thought til the very end.

I've seen someone speculating the Donraku eraser had GPS inside too.
Anyway writing has been so tight all these episodes I'm willing to trust the writers to explain it somehow, and if not, it's a minor thing anyway, as long as they land the ending. Even without it, the Gacha episode was one of the best ever and last episode had me theorizing hard about the killer. Only other anime this season that I watch and that had me feel so excited to watch next episode this season were Vivy's first half and 86.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god I did not see that coming

I will not spoil but the identity of the killer floored me

Odd Taxi most definitely lands the finale and wraps up all the threads

Absolute perfection but seriously it saves the best till last!!!!!
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Just wow. What a final episode. Wow.

(The identity of the killer didn't surprise me at all.)

Time to watch the whole series from start to finish again.

Also, Shirokawa is a force to reckon with.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but I'm going to toot my own horn now. This is the comment I made mid May:
7777ale7777 wrote:
So, here is my theory: spoiler[If it turns out that this is indeed a regular human world and that we are just seeing people like animals through Odokawa's point of view, then I bet the "guest" he keps in that room is] spoiler[just a regular cat.]

Now about the episode.spoiler[ I liked it a lot but when it ended I was like "what?? You're ending it THERE?" There's still the last audio drama but it just came out so it's not translated yet. I hope we get a little epilogue there.
The one thing I need and answer to though is what was the relationship between Tanaka and the killer, since she was the one that put his phone in the taxi in episode 5.]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Great ending. spoiler[(Though I'm worried about Odakawa, now that the killer is in his car. I guess we'll never know what happens.)]

Great series. I hope it gets a disc release in North America, maybe even an English dub. I'd be willing to buy this series on Blu-Ray, for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:43 am Reply with quote
Did I miss it or did we not see the spoiler[calico cat (I don't remember her name)] during the ending sequence? Other then that spoiler[ominous] mention of course.

Re: final scene: spoiler[At that point Odakawa should have talked to the police. Maybe this was a sting operation to catch her in the act? (not a fan of her character design btw, she looks like she's 10...) If not, I wish you luck Odakawa!]
yuzumei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:53 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Did I miss it or did we not see the spoiler[calico cat (I don't remember her name)] during the ending sequence? Other then that spoiler[ominous] mention of course.

[/spoiler]

I was about to comment the same thing spoiler[Shiho from Mystery Kiss is the only character we don't get to see as human. I am probably wrong but it sounded like Sakura (Yuki replacement in Mystery Kiss) killed another person? Maybe Shiho? What was that pen she was holding while talking to her mom?]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:46 am Reply with quote
A little annoyed that I didn't put it here, but I had 3 likely suspects of the killer and put them in the series discussion forum after episode 11. My first was that it was Odokawa, perhaps that we really could not trust his perception of things. The second was that it was some random person from the mob, who just had something against her father. But my third and most interesting was that it was spoiler[Sakura, who killed Yuki to take her place after she had heard that she was in 4th place and might have figured she could take her place]. Some of my internal thoughts were that spoiler[Sakura does act a bit weird, she almost acts too innocent], perhaps being a sociopath that mostly spoiler[only cares about her wants, like a piece of fried chicken].

Odokawa seemed to have put the pieces together and planned to take it to the police, so my assumption is that the end was actually a trap spoiler[to catch her.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7