• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams Edens Zero Anime Outside Japan on August 26

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Now the question of whether they'll get Tia Ballard back for Happy...
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
This is happening earlier than expected. There's been pretty loud rumblings that the season will last 25 episodes (last week of September at the latest), so it looks like it'll get released in halves. Do they dub in halves?

MFrontier wrote:

I'd say next to nil. Same goes for Colleen Clinkenbeard as Elsie and spoiler[Robert McCollum as Justice] (their FT equivalents have the same actors; don't pretend Funimation wouldn't have done the same). Any time Netflix acquired a season from a franchise licensed by Funimation, they recast everyone using LA based studios (the second seasons of Takagi-san and Saiki K. were dubbed by VSI Los Angeles).

Thinking more about it, if dumping the show in cours is how they're going about it, I wonder what kind of effect this will have as opposed to just releasing everything at once.

The adaptation is better than what I was expecting in terms of animation and presentation, but the first seven episodes still share the same weakness as the 15 chapters they cover: they are effectively an extended prologue, almost like a torch-passing between Fairy Tail and Edens Zero. All their time is spent establishing who the characters are, what they want, what kind of world they live in, and how nothing's quite like what people looking at it like a Fairy Tail spin-off/rip-off/whatever are expecting, but little in the way of forward progression for the plot. That's most of the current cour's first half, which might be bad for building up interest when the plot actually starts moving.

On the other hand, the second cour is due to cover the part where everything really kicks into high gear, showing what kinds of places Mashima is willing to dip his feet into after Fairy Tail's much lower stakes and tamer villains. The adaptation's been pulling fewer punches, too; some of the violence is toned down, but moments like spoiler[the field of impaled corpses] and spoiler[the trafficking, stripping and petrification of young women] are on full display. It makes me think back to Rebecca Silverstein's reviews about how the Fairy Tail anime's censorship made Tartaros's villains seem less inhumane and thus less effective, and not only how Edens Zero's anime makes up for that, but makes me wonder how they'll handle the parts where it ups the ante.

But darkness and despair isn't all Edens Zero will be getting more of in the second half. At times, its writing is more emotionally intelligent than I ever thought Mashima was capable of. It's nothing on the level of other shows this season or the ones that came before it, but it benefits hugely from having an extremely empathetic protagonist who always seems to know or think about what to say to people who are suffering from a personal attack or a seemingly insurmountable loss.

Depending on how things are adapted, it might wind up turning more than a few heads back at this series. I just hope it won't rile up too many of the wrong people.
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Tail is one of those series I wanted to like, but could never quite get into. But I've heard a lot of good things about Eden's Zero's manga, so I'm looking forward to giving this a shot. immblueversion's post has me even more excited for it.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
This is happening earlier than expected. There's been pretty loud rumblings that the season will last 25 episodes (last week of September at the latest), so it looks like it'll get released in halves. Do they dub in halves?

Oh hey! I recognize that username from TV Tropes. What's up? And yeah, this is Netflix, so I can pretty much guarantee they'll release the first 12 or so episodes in August and label them S1, and then put the rest out as S2.

[quote="1dbad"]Fairy Tail is one of those series I wanted to like, but could never quite get into. But I've heard a lot of good things about Eden's Zero's manga, so I'm looking forward to giving this a shot.[/quot3]

I think you'll be able to get into EZ easier than FT. For one, if we're comparing anime adaptations, Edens Zero sticks closer to the manga and has a quicker pace, imo. Also, it has a more traditional adventure narrative, where boy meets girl and they set off on a journey to achieve a goal.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:37 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

I doubt they will. Conceivably, since it is just one character, they might not recast like they did with subsequent seasons of shows Funimation dubbed, but I'd honestly be surprised since they seem to be fine with recasting. They could have potentially hired a studio like Sound Cadence since it is in the Dallas area and could have maintained the cast, but opted to record in LA instead.
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm not expecting reprisals, but it is a bit more plausible nowadays. We are living in the era of remote recording, after all.

Personally, I'll be watching Eden's Zero subbed.

Amuro1X wrote:
I think you'll be able to get into EZ easier than FT. For one, if we're comparing anime adaptations, Edens Zero sticks closer to the manga and has a quicker pace, imo. Also, it has a more traditional adventure narrative, where boy meets girl and they set off on a journey to achieve a goal.

Good to know! I've only ever tried the Fairy Tail anime. Might try the manga sometime, or give Rave Master a shot instead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1