• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Super Cub

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:17 am Reply with quote
Some real "just rub some dirt on it" dad energy from Koguma.
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:42 am Reply with quote
Its weird, we glommed onto this cause it has such a good solid slice of life story, with excellent art and sound design, and we are willing to ignore the super cub fan-girl/advertisement.

But the moment this series wants to add a bit of drama or tension... its so out of place for the characters behaviour, or any sort of practical/common sense is beyond me. This whole 11 episode was odd.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:54 am Reply with quote
I thought it was weird (among all the other things people have cited) that her bicycle was apparently beyond repair. You can easily replace anything on a bicycle but the frame, and even that could be rewelded if that was the issue. Bent frame...probably need a new one, but that can be replaced too! Unless she gets a ¥10,000 super deal on a Super Cub like Koguma did, it would be cheaper than buying a motorcycle.

And free coffee for a year? I was thinking more for life (not kidding - I was thinking that during the rescue)! But I guess it's ok, since they did throw in bread and sammiches.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:37 am Reply with quote
Dirtyshadow wrote:
Its weird, we glommed onto this cause it has such a good solid slice of life story, with excellent art and sound design, and we are willing to ignore the super cub fan-girl/advertisement.

But the moment this series wants to add a bit of drama or tension... its so out of place for the characters behaviour, or any sort of practical/common sense is beyond me. This whole 11 episode was odd.

I'll just say the last couple of episodes have been pretty unwholesome. While it was pretty tongue-in-cheek, dangerous or illegal behaviour was commented on in earlier episode. But now we've seen a series of reckles, dangerous and outright life-threatening behaviour (while the show tries to take itself seriously and gravely at that) and there has been no warning or commentary on that. Everything went perfectly because Cubs can do no wrong.
If you're going to write a serious episode it needs to be treated seriously, not throwing all health basics to the wind for the frivolous purpose of advertising your fetish vehicle.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I thought it was weird (among all the other things people have cited) that her bicycle was apparently beyond repair. You can easily replace anything on a bicycle but the frame, and even that could be rewelded if that was the issue. Bent frame...probably need a new one, but that can be replaced too! Unless she gets a ¥10,000 super deal on a Super Cub like Koguma did, it would be cheaper than buying a motorcycle.

Well, the only parts of the bike that weren't bent or broken were the seat and the handlebar.
It's a pretty old bike so I don't know if it's even feasible to get the same model.
If anything I'm surprised they cared so much about its name and respected it so much for so long. I thought they'd quickly go "throw that trash away and get a Cub".

DuskyPredator wrote:
So, there are strong chances that I am looking too hard, such that I was already, but am I the only one thinking that Shii likes girls, and probably and maybe has a crush on Koguma?
[...]
Maybe I really need to take off these goggles.

Even considering basic highschooler modesty, Shii's blushing and yearning for Koguma are a bit too much for someone who isn't into girls. Laughing
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:41 am Reply with quote
Dirtyshadow wrote:

While nothing but a few fasteners are interchangeable with the original, the 2021 Super Cub at a Honda dealer is the same basic pressed steel and welded frame underbone motorcycle that has sold 110+ million units since 1958. Does it need any advertisement at this point? Question
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:43 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
So, there are strong chances that I am looking too hard, such that I was already, but am I the only one thinking that Shii likes girls, and probably and maybe has a crush on Koguma?

Well, you do meet the nicest people on a Honda. Sorry. Razz
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that whole "rescue" sequence was just ghastly and I come from place as a fan of the show. I think all the main points have been hit so no need for me to repeat anything. Imma just pretend like this episode never existed.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:16 am Reply with quote
I'll just point out that at no time do we see anyone, including Shii, calling Shii's parents. I find that even more absurd than not calling emergency services.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:27 am Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:

This B Team nonsense is so dumb, look at the listed staff, it's actually better off then some other episodes. ep 3, 5,6 would be more of a team B nonsense then ep 11. (besides they were all returnees from previous eps)

This "B Team" is something from olden times.
We would be watching a series and suddenly the animation quality would drop hard, sometimes even the character design would bb different, and we justified saying that it was made by another team while the primary team was resting or working on another episode (usually to make the last episodes look better)

Piglet the Grate wrote:

I am sad rather than mad (for the same reasons). Sad

A better storyboard would have been Koguma calling the Japanese equivalent of 911, then her and Reiko taking Shii the next day to Shino's to buy a scooter.

The problem isn't just that Koguma didn't called an ambulance or police, it's EVERYTHING. She acted like a psychopath. Seriously, just watch her behavior not caring a single bit with Shii and apparently getting very annoyed that she had to help her and only caring about inanimate objects.
Surreal, she did everything wrong.

I'm still not in the mood to translated my rant to "gringo speak", but to sum it up it's like the person who wrote this episode missed the point, completely. Around the middle of the episode when Reiko told news about the broken bike it hit me, it was never about Shii nor any threat to her physical integrity, it as all about her bike and what it meant to her/Koguma. If the bike was what was important in that accident, then why show Shii lying there the whole time without tying to get up on that super shallow stream? She didn't even got a scratch on her! Wouldn't make more sense to change the accident to show that she just fell and because of her low stature she was having difficulty climbing up and called for help because she got scared of the possibility of staying there too long on that cold? There was no need to call an ambulance or police and she could have asked to keep it a secret from her parents.
There would also be no need to show Koguma acting like a psychopath by not caring and almost killing her!

Shii's cry in the kitchen came out of nowhere. I can't see why would Shii be so affected by the winter and why exactly would she seek Koguma's Cub for help. The Cubs, the bike, it's just a tool.
Also, how losing the bike gets in the way of her Italian Project?
This very episode explained how much Shii had been an inspiration to Koguma with and without her bike! Shii getting so down because she lost her bike makes no sense to me.

I really felt that the point of this whole episode was about Koguma thinking how would she feel and what would she do if it was her that had got into an accident and lost her Cub. It felt that the episode should had shown Shii dealing well with her lost and Koguma realizing/remembering that her life is not her Cub, that her whole life he revolved around her Cub as I already had commented about feeling that she had become dependent of her Cub.
From everything that the series shown to me up to now I can see Shii surviving the winter with no problems without her bike but can't see Koguma managing the same.

And a lot more, that's why I said that his episode needed rewrites.
It's like the idea of the episode was only half developed and it misunderstood and lot and came to the wrong conclusions. And all those ridiculous phrases selling the Honda Super Cub make it all worse and stupid.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:25 am Reply with quote
@ Panino Manino:

You've used the phrase "gringo speak" twice now. Could you please stop? Gringo is a derogatory term. It's fine just to use the boring old word "english" for what you are trying to say.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:15 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Maybe I really need to take off these goggles.

Yes, you're delirious, it's just the unfiltered manga showing it's greasy tentacles in the anime.
The reason why Shii called Koguma, which makes the anime even worse, was that she wanted to hide her accident from her parents... it seems. While I was commenting on Twitter I noticed some japanese viewers sharing a page from the manga. When Shii asks if Koguma called an ambulance or the police she asks to tell her to not do that! Because she had not get hurt in the accident and only her bike was damaged we can understand she not wanting professional help and make a fuss about the accident, but the anime omitting this line... why?

Gina Szanboti wrote:

This is another detail that leaves me flabbergasted.
If we pay attention when they show her bike the frame looks like it's only lightly bent.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

While nothing but a few fasteners are interchangeable with the original, the 2021 Super Cub at a Honda dealer is the same basic pressed steel and welded frame underbone motorcycle that has sold 110+ million units since 1958. Does it need any advertisement at this point? Question

It's not that popular anymore, there at a lot of competing similar motorbikes even by Honda, the production had scaled down a lot.
But in recent years I think Honda is trying some sort of revival "modernizing" both the Cub and the Trail.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Panino Manino:

You've used the phrase "gringo speak" twice now. Could you please stop? Gringo is a derogatory term. It's fine just to use the boring old word "english" for what you are trying to say.

spoiler[
Everyone is gringo, even non gringos.
Can you explain why you think it's "derogatory"? I feel that I understand what you mean, "if you look into the origin of the world you'll know this and that", but here where I live in the 21 Century it's 100% not "derogatory", it's just a generic way to refer to foreigners.
I understand that the moderation is rigorous, but it's the first time that I witness anyone apparently "annoyed" by this world. It's there anyone out the in the worlds right now using this world with "derogatory" intention? Except me, in this case directing contempt to the english language only and exclusively.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:53 pm Reply with quote
*sigh*

From Dictionary.com:

Quote:
noun, plural grin·gos.Slang: Sometimes Disparaging and Offensive.
a term used in Latin America or Spain to refer to a foreigner, especially one of U.S. or British descent (often used facetiously).

I added the bolding for emphasis.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Wish I could post gif since the community gif about coming back with pizza to the room being on fire and everyone fighting seems appropriate.

I kinda fell behind the series and was thinking about coming back, with hope that they'd have toned down the cub worshiping and focus more on the atmosphere that made the first few episode so good, but apparently a big nope on that!

I dunno about using "they're teenager" excuse, I remember being a little kid and calling 911 on an emergency way smaller than this because it'd been drilled into my head that emergency = call 911 (are ambulance ride not free in japan?).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13