• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Super Cub

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
Your own dictionary definition says "sometimes".
Words are about communication, and for me that world isn't offensive. I and the people I know don't use it that way.

But whatever, talking about "communication", as always the ANN review is "surprising" and "amazing", on many levels.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:27 pm Reply with quote
@ Panino Manino: I fully believe you don't mean it in a derogatory way, but I'd just rather not see it used. It doesn't offend me to my core or anything like that, but I am aware of its negative context. It's 2021, let's get past using words like it.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
It's not that popular anymore, there at a lot of competing similar motorbikes even by Honda, the production had scaled down a lot.
But in recent years I think Honda is trying some sort of revival "modernizing" both the Cub and the Trail.

More than 1 million units per year is hardly unpopular.

A new 125-cc version of the Super Cub came out a couple of years ago, and the Trail was just updated with the same engine. Of course, the engine and transmission (but not the automatic clutch) have been shared with the MX125 Grom and Monkey 125. But the 2022 Grom will have a 5-speed transmission and well as revised engine internals, so we can expects those changes to show up in the Super Cub, Trail, and Monkey in the next couple of years.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I will just add in my 2 cents that I am uncomfortable with the word, but I am really only really aware of it from where I am based on movies and TV shows.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11- well, that was dumb but not for reasons the rest of you realize. See, Koguma is alone, she lives alone, she goes alone, she does it alone. We don't know why yet but I wasn't surprised it didn't occur to Koguma to call her to call Shii's parents or any sort of help prior to heading out on a rescue mission or even after.

It just didn't occur to her because it wouldn't. Fine. But it didn't occur to anyone else?

Throwing Shii in the front basket was literally adding insult to injury though I found Koguma eying the box compartment at first to be darkly humorous. Stuffing Shii in the front basket though under those conditions and with her in that condition? XoX.

My head canon is that both Shii and Koguma are now dead and there's nothing the final episode can do to convince me otherwise.

Edit: Come to think on it, that was my suspicion from the first episode, that this whole series was Koguma's after life death experience.
After death life experience?
Millhi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Millhi wrote:

This B Team nonsense is so dumb, look at the listed staff, it's actually better off then some other episodes. ep 3, 5,6 would be more of a team B nonsense then ep 11. (besides they were all returnees from previous eps)

This "B Team" is something from olden times.
We would be watching a series and suddenly the animation quality would drop hard, sometimes even the character design would bb different, and we justified saying that it was made by another team while the primary team was resting or working on another episode (usually to make the last episodes look better)

Did you just.... lmao.

Either way the ep looked more functional then some of the previous eps and you didn't call those B team eps. (notoriously the ones with more ADs looked worse then the ones with less ADs)
Ashabel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Episode 11- well, that was dumb but not for reasons the rest of you realize. See, Koguma is alone, she lives alone, she goes alone, she does it alone. We don't know why yet

A complete tangent but I find it genuinely bizarre that Koguma's family situation is treated by anime only fans as some sort of big and sinister secret that needs a reveal. Her family situation is explained on literally the first five pages of both the novel and the manga, the scene (like many other very good and insightful scenes) was simply cut from the anime for pacing reasons.
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:23 pm Reply with quote
As someone coming from the manga series I've been really enjoying watching the show very much.

Other than a few minor changes which occurred in episode 11 it's been pretty dead on with the manga. Of course Shi's hair style and color is a much different in the Anime. But I do think the way they fleshed it out in the Manga would fix most peoples complaints to the pacing and how it was done.

In the manga Koguma tried to call a ambulance for Shi but the girl wouldn't let her for fear of her parents over reacting. She did later have Shi call home to tell them she was alright and staying over night at a friends. Reiko was completely naked coming out of the bath which the Anime copped out and had her with her underwear on.

As for the Moulton they told Shi after dinner and the dishes were done. Koguma at first didn't know how to consul a crying Shi but then started patting her head.

Very sad only one more episode to go but I have a good idea how it's going to end, which is a pretty go high note but this series for now doesn't have a closed ending.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:03 am Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
I find it genuinely bizarre that Koguma's family situation is treated by anime only fans as some sort of big and sinister secret that needs a reveal. Her family situation is explained on literally the first five pages of both the novel and the manga...

...which is meaningless to anime only watchers? If something that sticks out like a sore thumb is not explained in the only medium we're engaging with, how is it genuinely bizarre for us to wonder why? You might as well find it bizarre that a blind person is cautious at a crosswalk when you can see the curb literally right there in front of them.

And if it took five novel pages to explain it, then I think yeah, it does need a reveal and they should've worked it into the anime somehow. It sounds like it must be more complicated than parents away on a long business trip or dead.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:18 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
My head canon is that both Shii and Koguma are now dead and there's nothing the final episode can do to convince me otherwise.

More likely that the girls are robots similar to Nano Shinonome. Cool
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's perhaps the strongest opening of the show to date, and that's saying a lot when you consider the table setting the premier did.

Quote:
I'll be frank: I think this episode will probably divide fans. I won't say how exactly because I don't know and I don't engage with fandom in forums much, but I can imagine that folks will leave this episode feeling some emotions, whether they're positive or negative. I think that's fair: there's an argument to be made as to why the girls don't call for an adult, why they don't react more emotionally, or why they don't pick up on how traumatized Shii is.

The irony in this is that we didn't discuss the latter, how rocky and melodramatic the second half was, because we were so focused on how utterly and dismayingly awful that opening was that some of us didn't have the brainpower left to notice the rest.
The only good takeaway from this episode for me is how cute Shii-in-the-basket is (despite the awfulness of the context). Maybe the music, but it's hard to appreciate what it does when the material it tries to enhance fell on its face so hard that the mole people now have a skylight.

There's making mistakes, and then there's making every possible mistake at every turn... with three different people agreeing on them all. There's not telling your parents, and then there's your parents not being one bit mad that you left them in the dark the whole night.
And of course there's a bit of breaking the laws of physics and biology but after all that it becomes peccata minuta.

Maybe I should rewatch that second half because what I remember is very hazy. There was melodrama, there was Shii using some chuunibyou speech to describe her trauma and there were Koguma monologues that I barely remember.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:26 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
The irony in this is that we didn't discuss the latter, how rocky and melodramatic the second half was, because we were so focused on how utterly and dismayingly awful that opening was that some of us didn't have the brainpower left to notice the rest.

To someone who has spent both more time than I care to think about in both construction/industrial/laboratory safety training and advanced motorcycle training, the actions of the girls were utterly dismaying. The script writers should have at least included the part from the original source material of Shii asking Koguma not to tell her parents or emergency services to provide a (bad but understandable) justification for Koguma's actions.

Yuvelir wrote:
The only good takeaway from this episode for me is how cute Shii-in-the-basket is (despite the awfulness of the context).

At least that kept the weight over the front wheel which only makes the bike a pig to steer that wants to go in a straight line - having a lot of weight out back on loose surfaces is not fun (from my experience with a pillion of about half my weight on a nearly 500-pound Beemer - Shii is small but Koguma is not large either).
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:11 am Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:

Either way the ep looked more functional then some of the previous eps and you didn't call those B team eps. (notoriously the ones with more ADs looked worse then the ones with less ADs)

No way, the first 10 episodes were very consistent in quality, not this episode 11 that clearly had worse animation and character design.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

...which is meaningless to anime only watchers? If something that sticks out like a sore thumb is not explained in the only medium we're engaging with, how is it genuinely bizarre for us to wonder why? You might as well find it bizarre that a blind person is cautious at a crosswalk when you can see the curb literally right there in front of them.

And if it took five novel pages to explain it, then I think yeah, it does need a reveal and they should've worked it into the anime somehow. It sounds like it must be more complicated than parents away on a long business trip or dead.

Why Koguma lives alone is irrelevant!
The only thing that matters is that she is leaving alone and how she deals with this condition during the episodes. The reason is irrelevant, changes nothing. We don't need to know to not waste time thinking about possibilities like "will her parents come back?".
The episodes already gave explanation enough. That is the house she lived, no one can put her out of her home. It's implied that she is receiving some monetary support by the state for her living expenses. What more do you need to know?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
People's pasts affect who they are in the present. So I can't agree that a character's past is ever irrelevant (though some need more delving into than others). There are as many ways that her family situation could affect how she was when we met her as there are reasons why she's not with said family.

But from a purely storytelling perspective, not explaining it implies there's a reason not to, yet, since it would be so simple to write the inevitable question off with a single line of dialog if there wasn't something otherwise significant about it. In the language you hold in contempt that's called "the elephant in the room" that everyone acts like isn't there. Apparently the author thought the question was important enough to spend 5 pages answering it, so I think the anime could've wasted 15 seconds putting it to rest, precisely so that viewers would not be distracted wondering about it further.
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:18 am Reply with quote
These girls are really tough like pro wrestlers. For a petite girl like Chii, after falling into an icy river from a cliff she just like getting rid of dust on her shoulders, thanks to Koguma's help. Real people in similar situation might require medical treatment like tourniquet etc. Back in episode 5 while attempting to climb Mt. Fuji with her cub, Reiko is still look almost unscathed despite falling from her cub several times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13