• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I guess one of the reasons Jin seems to have a soft spot for Sawa is that she's a ringer for his dead love [and now we know why]. Assuming she's even dead... If she is, 5'll get ya 10 Jin killed her.

I hope everyone took that bet! Smile This series must be terrible since I'm outdoing myself on predicting plot points.

I wonder if Chekov's snake venom immunity will come into play or if they just dropped that bit in for the hell of it and immediately forgot about it.

Agent355 wrote:
Episode 8 was mostly dark, and I was very disappointed that they didn’t show us the reunion between Sawa and Elena.

Have they reunited yet? I don't remember even being told that, maybe because it wasn't shown? I guess I've been waiting for that shoe to drop, but I kinda forget about this series when I'm not actually watching it.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:56 am Reply with quote
At this point the story is ruined, but at least the animations and the rest is good. I wonder if some good editing could improve the plot...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:55 am Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
I wonder if some good editing could improve the plot...

Nope, don't think so. If I can predict no fewer than 5 of the major plot "twists," you know it's hopeless.

Anybody have any guesses as to the point or meaning of the skeleton they found back in Ep. 8 was? If it was something as obvious as everything else was, it flew right over my head.

Had to give this one a "Weak - wish I'd done something better with my time" rating.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Anybody have any guesses as to the point or meaning of the skeleton they found back in Ep. 8 was? If it was something as obvious as everything else was, it flew right over my head.

I think it is the skeleton of the owner (Rinko's supposedly grandmother) of that place sawa and asahi were staying. Rinko probably kill the owner and hid the body there and pretended to be her granddaughter.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:51 am Reply with quote
Ah, I guess that could be. It looked like it had been there a looooong time though.
Shime26

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:03 am Reply with quote
ahahaah, I agree)
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:16 am Reply with quote
Well, this series just goes to prove (as if that was necessary...) that I seem to live in a parallel universe to the rest of the anime fandom. I found it sublime from the first episode to the last post-credit scene in the last one. Not only truly beautiful to look at (and listen to) but also with a strong, compelling story and characters that I won't be forgetting any time soon. A true masterpiece and one of the best 1-cour series I've ever watched.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Well, this series just goes to prove (as if that was necessary...) that I seem to live in a parallel universe to the rest of the anime fandom. I found it sublime from the first episode to the last post-credit scene in the last one. Not only truly beautiful to look at (and listen to) but also with a strong, compelling story and characters that I won't be forgetting any time soon. A true masterpiece and one of the best 1-cour series I've ever watched.

I wouldn't call it "sublime" but I definitely think it was far better than many, particularly here, have given it credit for. Like you, I've often found myself far more impressed with shows the fandom writes off as trash, and far less impressed with shows the fandom consider gold-standard. Hurts in the sense that some shows and their associated themes or method of storytelling don't get the attention deserved. But, don't let it deter you from enjoying what you like.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:37 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
donhumberto wrote:

I wouldn't call it "sublime" but I definitely think it was far better than many, particularly here, have given it credit for. Like you, I've often found myself far more impressed with shows the fandom writes off as trash, and far less impressed with shows the fandom consider gold-standard. Hurts in the sense that some shows and their associated themes or method of storytelling don't get the attention deserved. But, don't let it deter you from enjoying what you like.

Glad to hear I'm not alone on this one Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:27 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:

I'm not on board with your final sentence but I was certainly nodding my head in agreement with the rest.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:00 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
donhumberto wrote:

I'm not on board with your final sentence but I was certainly nodding my head in agreement with the rest.

Glad to hear that Wink As a matter of fact, I'm halfway through rewatching it (yeah, I like it THAT much) and the writing seems even stronger the second time around. So many details I had missed the first time... it's truly beyond me that so many people can consider this series as poorly written Confused
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:43 am Reply with quote
Overall, I really enjoyed watching Joran. The art and animation were beautiful, especially Sawa’s fight scenes, and the soundtrack was great. I think it tried to do too much, plot (and plot twist) wise. I agree with the reviewer that a bit of reorganization would have helped—I thought Jin was suspicious practically from episode 1, so confirmation that he killed Sawa’s clan before or right after the episode in which Sawa takes down Janome would have worked in showing the audience that Sawa’s revenge wasn’t over, for example. They also could have incorporated the people’s rebellion against the Shogun/government into the plot better.

The flaw that stings the most was Tsukishiro’s character arc—turning an interesting, complex character into a one-note villain

The final episode, I’d argue, most of the final half of the series, was a bit too steeped in melancholy. I wasn’t surprised that Sawa died—her death had been foreshadowed from the beginning—but the way she died stung, especially because it was tied to her act of mercy (and yet, I still can’t bring myself to hate Rinko). She didn’t die fighting for the people or protecting anyone. The show even suggests that Jin’s fight against the shogun (and his own death), were unnecessary because the people’s rebellion would have taken out the shogun without him. I was happy that Elena, her baby, her boyfriend, and Asahi all survived. If they do make a sequel series, I hope it has Asahi working *with* Rinko
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I have heard of the term "hate watching"; but I never actually did it myself ─ until episode #8 of this series. Because it's a 12-episode series, I decided to grit my teeth and watch the remainder to see if it did or did not redeem itself.

My reaction? It redeemed itself a little; but nowhere near enough to get a decent rating out of me (if I rate something at <9/11, then I am not impressed).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3