• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Junichi Sato Reflects on Making Anime With Women, For Girls

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking generally about creating anime for children, Sato emphasized the importance of communicating with them on their level, without condescension. It is also important to portray various experiences that children may encounter while growing up, so that even if they may one day forget the title they watched, the experiences will still linger with them in some way.

Absofrigginlutely. Somebody gets it!! This is why I have huge respect for a lot of children's anime that came out in Japan, because of statements like this from the producers. I only saw the crappy 4Kids dub of the first half of Doremi's first season, but even I saw things in there that I could relate to. Plus, even though I haven't seen the entirety of the anime series, I absolutely ADORE the movie that came out last year. It was everything I could ever want in any movie at all! Even the anime that are mainly used as toy commercials know to be more than just a simple toy commercial and aren't afraid to push boundaries with their content when necessary.

Now if only American network execs would do the same instead of stifling creators and cancelling all the good shows they make.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Sato isn't my favorite director for nothing. He doesn't need to make the trendy stuff; rather, he helps connect people growing up with common hardships.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Sato isn't my favorite director for nothing. He doesn't need to make the trendy stuff; rather, he helps connect people growing up with common hardships.

I completely agree. The mention of Hugtto! Precure in the article reminds me, I haven't seen it but would really like to at some point. It's great that Crunchyroll has been simulcasting the recent entries, but I do hope they and Toei will be able to dig further back in the back catalog at some point as I'd like to be able to watch there.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I completely agree. The mention of Hugtto! Precure in the article reminds me, I haven't seen it but would really like to at some point.

If you're completely new to Pretty Cure as a whole, I wouldn't recommend watching Hugtto as your first season, namely because several episodes feature characters from the other seasons appearing as plot devices, and you'll be very thrown off by their utterly Deus Ex Machina-like appearances unless you've seen every season that came before Hugtto.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

If you're completely new to Pretty Cure as a whole, I wouldn't recommend watching Hugtto as your first season, namely because several episodes feature characters from the other seasons appearing as plot devices, and you'll be very thrown off by their utterly Deus Ex Machina-like appearances unless you've seen every season that came before Hugtto.

Huh, interesting. Well, I'm not completely new. I have seen Smile and Dokidoki at least (the original Japanese version of those seasons).
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
[

The appearance of the other cures in Hugtto is as cameos at best, it requires basically no knowledge of the previous seasons. And prior knowledge doesn't really enhance it, since there's little to their couple episode appearance (outside of maybe Nagisa and Honoka) besides an excuse to have a lot of bodies on screen for a big fight. So there being previous cameos shouldn't really deter anyone from just watching a great season before others.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Sato is my favorite director because he's been involved in quite a few of my favorite series such as Aria(#1 on my list of all time favorite series), Gate Keepers, Kaleido Star, Umi Monogatari , Nanaka 6/17, Magic User's Club, Princess Tutu and quite a few more.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A similar logic was applied to the creation of Looking for Magical DoReMi, which tells the story of various women struggling with young adult problems. Sato said that the film draws upon the experiences relayed to him by the various women who worked with him on the project. When portraying experiences specific to women, Sato frankly acknowledged that although he knows about such things as part of his knowledge base, he feels a gap with his own experiences as a man. Therefore, he defers to what his female colleagues tell him, especially when it comes to depicting emotional catharsis.

Quote:
Speaking generally about creating anime for children, Sato emphasized the importance of communicating with them on their level, without condescension. It is also important to portray various experiences that children may encounter while growing up, so that even if they may one day forget the title they watched, the experiences will still linger with them in some way.

And this is why Junichi Sato is one of my favorite anime directors. He understands the need to genuinely reflect the lived experiences of his audience and to speak with them and not simply at them. A pity, they only talked about Hugtto and Doremi, I would have loved to hear his reflections on Sailor Moon, Princess Tutu and Aria.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Wow. This is so profound. Love it!
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
It's great that Crunchyroll has been simulcasting the recent entries, but I do hope they and Toei will be able to dig further back in the back catalog at some point as I'd like to be able to watch there.

They kinda have but in other territories first as both Maho Girls (or Witchy as Toei is calling it) and Max Heart have been streaming on ADN in France and as seen with Kirakira and the original series in Europe, they usually get streamed there first before Crunchyroll.

As for here in the states, they did get Kirakira thanks to that same deal and also FINALLY replaced the NGN VHS hardsubs of the first series with DVD masters (similar to Air Master when that became available for Europe, the English hardsubbed streams for that show are also gone) so we're just waiting on Witchy & Max Heart to hit Crunchyroll (especially the latter in my case) and for whatever the next show ADN gets for France.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1