• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Zombie Land Saga Revenge [2021-04-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:42 pm Reply with quote
FN knew it!! It's not that I didn't know, it just needed to be confirmed by the show (one can always be mislead...). Such a great touch that Yugiri/Kotaro made up this dance number with some turn of the century music composition peaking out to round out the period drama. And, yes, that is Tae in the photo at the studio storefront looking much like a zombie already (whooohooo!). Looking forward to that reveal. However, the theory that Yugiri was supposed to be first but somehow Tae happened doesn't seem any more logical than the other theory. Tae may have just been the test case or maybe she's been a zombie since the Meiji and just a big family secret (??). If so, that would still make Sakura #1 as proposed because Kotaro definitely had a "thing" for her. Also seems like the newspaperman has a resemblance to Itou but coincidence?...I guess we'll see next week...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:32 am Reply with quote
I don't have a lot of knowledge about things like music genre, but Yugiri's song at the end reminded me of the one from when I recently played the Final Fantasy Remake for the HoneyBee Inn, which was a part of the game I was really into. And so I really liked the song from this episode, for whatever music genre that is, which I guess has a level of sensuality to it that is a good fit for Yugiri.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed the episode and loved the performance at the end. I was expecting Yugiri to lose the fight (and her head) at that clash, but I like how it turned out. The only nitpick I'd say is that I don't feel like Yugiri had enough motivation to take the fall for the incident.
Sure, she was helping, but I didn't get an "I'd die for this movement" feel. It just seemed inevitable since we know she dies.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's just as the episode review mentioned that the 2-episode arc didn't really delve in what makes Yugiri the way she is which makes it kind of disappointing and such an utter tease. It works for Tae because she's the comic relief where knowing her background kind of ruins the joke. But for Yugiri, she's now far more of a mysterious beauty compared to the other girls now that it's shown she's resourceful and quite the badass while still not knowing much of her background.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Same reason why Itou chose to die to not have to capture and execute Yuugiri and Kiichi. It was a three way love story with both deceased charmed by Kiichi's dream. Both wanted to see this "new Saga" as much as Kiichi, a new Saga that could offer both a different path in life.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
So were the regular people of Saga badly treated when they were in the other prefecture? Did they even know/care? Cause it really didn't seem like it and the only people who seem to care whether the area on the map people lived in was called Saga or not were the previous ruling class. I imagine most regular people were still farmer in rural community who probably would have struggle to even point on a map where they lived (I doubt there was public education for all at that point). The old ruling people were willing to start a civil war, which would almost certainly have negative effect on the regular people just so they'd be in power again. It's not like the other prefecture had different language/culture/history and were trying to erase Saga resident identity, it sounds more like that was more a dispute over who get to keep the tax profit at the end of the day. Which... who cares, it just seems like such a silly to kill and die for.
lomez

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

John the Dark Lord wrote:

Wait, did I missed something? In which part of the episode was it confirmed that Kotaro is Kiichi's dscendant?

It's not said or explained, but that's the logical conclusion.

Because... ?
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:05 am Reply with quote
lomez wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:

John the Dark Lord wrote:

Wait, did I missed something? In which part of the episode was it confirmed that Kotaro is Kiichi's dscendant?

It's not said or explained, but that's the logical conclusion.

Because... ?

They do happen to share the same voice actor...
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:17 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So were the regular people of Saga badly treated when they were in the other prefecture? Did they even know/care?

One of the broadsides we see talks about how you have to travel a long way to do official business along with the appeals to local traditions. Probably, as you say, the peasant class could care less (depending on taxes), but the merchants and trader classes, and, yes, dispossessed government bureaucrats (which is what the samurai class largely were in this era) probably were the ones who cared. In other words, those who worked in the fields probably wouldn't care much one way or the other, while those who worked in towns might.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Not even a single mention of Kotaro getting mugged by seagulls.

Disgusting.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Saga and the Kyushu region at large had some pretty cataclysmic flooding last year in the early summer, wonder if the danger to Saga is an in show version of that.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:19 pm Reply with quote
All this time I thought they were saving Saga from irrelevancy but it was actually a freaking ancient curse that would erase the land... and that has been erasing people. WTF Laughing
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Is the journalist article really supposed to be taken as a serious threat? Imagine tomorrow someone wrote an article about some idol group is actually made up of corpse and had a few pictures to prove it. Most likely outcome would be the editor not publishing it, even if published no one would believe it, either considering it some sort of goofy advertisement or some writer gone made. At worst the family of the girl could sue the writer. I'd be extremely surprised a writer could get a court order to exhume the grave.

And then, even if the article was somehow taken seriously, no one would really have a problem with it since it would mean its possible to revive the dead and people would be pretty positive about that. So it feel like the entire article aspect is just supposed to be taken as a joke, but where's the joke?
appledude1221

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I took a run for the zombie land sage english dub and i would have to say the cast did a really nice job with it. Hope the cast comes back for the 2nd season
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:
Saga and the Kyushu region at large had some pretty cataclysmic flooding last year in the early summer, wonder if the danger to Saga is an in show version of that.

Apparently yes. And the real house that the mansion in the show was based on was damaged in real life by the typhoon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9