• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Zombie Land Saga Revenge [2021-04-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
lest we forget that he used to be one of her classmates and only sought out the services of an immortal bartender after her freak encounter with Truck-kun

I actually did forget that, thanks for the reminder Smile
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:29 pm Reply with quote
The pearl clutching over the possibility of an ~~~~age gap~~~~~ crush between cartoons of a dude who used to be the same age as a zombie idol is very ... Rolling Eyes
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:27 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
The pearl clutching over the possibility of an ~~~~age gap~~~~~ crush between cartoons of a dude who used to be the same age as a zombie idol is very ... Rolling Eyes

Eh, if they had been an item or even just implied to have been mutual in unspoken feelings prior to her death, I could see things getting handwaved, but that's not the case.

Nor is the age gap the biggest problem here, the unequal power dynamic from him being the group's manager, agent, publicist, songwriter, make-up artist, homeowner, and necromancer is.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
KefkaesqueXIII wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Eh, if they had been an item or even just implied to have been mutual in unspoken feelings prior to her death, I could see things getting handwaved, but that's not the case.

Nor is the age gap the biggest problem here, the unequal power dynamic from him being the group's manager, agent, publicist, songwriter, make-up artist, homeowner, and necromancer is.

It's not real, though, so who cares? Mostly it's just not overly relevant and would swing the plot in a wildly different direction ... I think it's interesting to know that he probably had a crush on her back in high school and that was part of his motivation to make her idol dreams come true, but it wouldn't be unthinkable for him to still harbor some feelings (even if he wasn't going to act on them due to all the weird circumstances).
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Welp good bye SAGA]
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Final episode up until the epilogue: One of the better "climax with a performance" episodes I've seen in a while.

Epilogue: WTF

(But I suppose that I should have expected something like that, given the nature of this series. . .)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I have to say,spoiler[ it REALLY bring the first Zombieland Saga OP sequence into a new light!] Laughing

Now we have to play the wait and see game if they plan on doing a S3 or or even a movie!
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I got excited when they said we'd get an episode with extended duration, but it seems like it was just to cram in more songs.
What a letdown.
I'm still in shock. All this buildup and all this thing about a curse and impeding doom. I expected the finale to be like the final song of either Ouendan game but no. It was just three songs and that's it. Fourteen minutes of a normal-ass idol concert with Tae's rendition of Freddie Mercury as literally the only funny, intense or exciting thing happening (Koutarou crying, maybe). I'm shocked that his show of all things decided to end with such a wimper.

Sure, there was Koutarou apparently coughing blood and those last few seconds of a stinger but that's all for the uncertain future, you can't replace "excitement" for "maybe excitement in the future". For the present and the close future, we just got the plainest and most generic idol romp.
Even the songs themselves weren't particularly exciting, maybe the second one at best (and honestly, probably was because Tae got me hyped there), but the rest of the season has been pulling off much better and much more emotional songs than this.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
#fim

For me the last episode was the worst of the whole series.
Why? Because it had the biggest amount of music and dance.
I really don't like and don't care about idols and their shows. But still, some surprises in the end.
Kotaro appears to be dying, the time limit was for him?
And this don't matter in the end because... spoiler[SAGA WAS DESTROYED?! Does this mean that MAPPA really don't want to continue with this series and put a definitive end to it?]
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, our favorite Zombie Idols already have their own Obari-drawn mecha, and even managed to show up in a Super Robot Wars mobile game. Maybe we should have seen this one coming.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Even the songs themselves weren't particularly exciting, maybe the second one at best (and honestly, probably was because Tae got me hyped there), but the rest of the season has been pulling off much better and much more emotional songs than this.

It's a cliché, but that was the perfect moment to have the OP. I kept expecting it to pop up and we instead got three new songs that I didn't care for. Kind of a shame.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:09 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

It's a cliché, but that was the perfect moment to have the OP. I kept expecting it to pop up and we instead got three new songs that I didn't care for. Kind of a shame.

That would have been exciting, even if it's a cliche.

I guess, in a way, this finale was a zombie: by the time the girls arrived at the venue, the show was already over. There was nothing to do, nothing to achieve, nothing to overcome. All of that had been done in the previous episodes and the episode's first half, so the show died there but went on for 14 more minutes, limping lifeless with three run-of-the-mill idol performances.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:36 pm Reply with quote
It's weird to me that people aren't into the songs ... the songs are always amazing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:49 am Reply with quote
Talking about the music bits, the CG was totally on point compare to how rough it could be when the series first started.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:41 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
It's weird to me that people aren't into the songs ... the songs are always amazing.

Zombieland Saga always stood out for offeringmore than just basic idol stuff.
And even "basic idol stuff" usually ends with oerformances that feel more thrilling or special than this. They were competent inserts, but not an apt finale for such a crazy and irreverent series; heck, last season ended with Franchouchou getting hit by lightning and turning that into a light show...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9