• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Beck to the Future

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
Is Robert the son of some wealthy oil magnate? That's some collection.

I really want to get that first boxset of Fullmetal Alchemist's second season. I've even made room in my anime drawers for the rest of FMA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
Basically, Shuffle is exactly what you'd expect it to be. And it doesn't try to be anything else. If you're the kind of person who will care which girl gets picked, watch it. If that's not enough to maintain your attention, nothing else in the show is worth sticking around for.
Mmsven

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:38 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't like the FMA boxes. I would have preferred them release it as 1-2 boxsets instead of 4, the artwork on the boxes is rather plain, and it looks like they're made out of thin cardboard.

Also, is that guy using rocks to hold his dvds? Wouldn't that scratch the plastic? I would love to have some sort of adjustable wedge on my shelf to keep my dvds from falling.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:46 am Reply with quote
Mmsven wrote:
Also, is that guy using rocks to hold his dvds? Wouldn't that scratch the plastic? I would love to have some sort of adjustable wedge on my shelf to keep my dvds from falling.

^^;; They're called bookends.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:09 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Mmsven wrote:

^^;; They're called bookends.

Yeah, they are. They're pretty cheap and can usually be found in school or office supply stores. Since DVD cases are just plastic, there's little chance of the bookends to bend over time, as with some old examples that keep up books in library shelves. Still, I actually like the idea of using rocks as bookends. Laughing

Oh, by the way, happy birthday, Bamboo, oh great provider of anime reviews! Anime hyper
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:56 am Reply with quote
Happy brithday Bamboo, i turned 21 yesterday Very Happy

Anyway, i've only seen one episode of Shuffle (and i moved on) but now that its hitting stateside I may have to try it out again. It sounds like what I expected, so i'll have to see about it.

As for Beck, now that the whole series is out, maybe that damn box stero thing will go on sale. I've wanted to get that forever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:26 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised about the first volume of Shuffle! in the Perishable. Heck, even I dropped it in like 10 or so episodes. Then a bunch of peeps praised it around the second half of the series and then came episode 19......oy that was fun! Shocked

I guess the question is are you willing to stick by it? Surprised
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, do they still refer to Kaede's fanclub in the dub of Shuffle as the KKK (Kitto Kitto Kaede)? It seems kinda hard to avoid, when the first guy to say it has "KKK" on his shirt, IIRC.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote
According to the free streaming episode on the website, the English dub does keep though they added on that they're not "the one with the white robes". Laughing
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote
Happy Birthday SakechanBD! Have Fun!

I'll be moving in a couple days.Once I get settled in,I'll set up my collection for Shelf life and send it in.It's about 20 years worth.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I'm not surprised about the first volume of Shuffle! in the Perishable. Heck, even I dropped it in like 10 or so episodes. Then a bunch of peeps praised it around the second half of the series and then came episode 19......oy that was fun! Shocked

I guess the question is are you willing to stick by it? Surprised

Wow, I thought it got worse and worse as the series went, personally. Particularly with the absolute idiocy they gave Asa-senpai after a time. It was a shame to see such an awesome character end up at just the same level as the rest of them. Sad

I only disagreed with one part of Bamboo's review: "I don't think Shuffle is terrible." I really thought it was. I know, I know, I'm too harsh on it, taking it too seriously whatever, but for me, I really thought it was terrible. Even the added neat 'stuff' just felt thrown in haphazardly. That said, I did like the, er, 'special' scene with Kaede (was that 19?) That made me smile.

I will, however, be rewatching the series when its fully out. Maybe if I can remind myself not to even attempt to take it seriously, it'll work better. I think it doesn't help that I didn't particularly like the character designs for the female characters either.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote
Getting through the first 4 episodes of Shuffle was..... Difficult for me... So I decided to stop there. I hated the girls. They were, as Bamboo said, stupid. Come on! Get your own lives!

I'm fine with the FMA boxes. Yeah, I wish there were two instead of four, but they take up less room than the individuals and I like the artwork and the booklets.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
Happy Birthday Bamboo Dong! And a belated Happy Birthday to my fellow Detroiter Britanicamoore! Very Happy
ikky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
"Which hair colour is your favourite?" would be a better tagline for Shuffle, really. Those character designs...
Harem is not my genre, so I am uninterested by default.

Beck is great, and it is nice to see it getting the attention it deserves.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Let me say this: if there is one show out there right now currently being released that totally deserves the hype, it's Fullmetal Alchemist. It's been years since the series was first released, and even I'm a little sick of the FMA hubbub that followed, but I have to admit that it was a really great show. It made me love anime in that giddy I-need-to-IM-my-friends-to-talk-about-the-latest-episode! way and, every subsequent episode just fed my need for more.

I wholeheartedly agree. FMA is the reason I got heavily into anime in the first place. Before that show, I was merely a casual fan. Now I can't get enough. Very Happy

It really does deserve the hype. I still haven't found a show I like better(although some have come close). It takes everything I love about anime and blends it together in an awesome way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5