• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Asahi Shimbun: Top 10 Manga Piracy Websites Receive 240 Million Monthly Hits

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xerox-guy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:22 am Reply with quote
That's good news.
ChiilongCha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:47 am Reply with quote
Accessibility and affordability is and has always been the answer to piracy. No one wants to have to switch between 3-4 apps just to read a manga they want, and selling digital manga at full price is simply begging it to be pirated.

Piracy will never go away and frankly cracking them down is a waste of resources.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
ChiilongCha wrote:
Accessibility and affordability is and has always been the answer to piracy. No one wants to have to switch between 3-4 apps just to read a manga they want, and selling digital manga at full price is simply begging it to be pirated.

Unlike anime which is pretty covered license-wise(not counting outliers, like Shinkalion, those are still fansubbed the old-fashioned way), the amount of manga that does get licensed is still like a scoop of water in a bathtub. To take an example, of the few dozen isekai mangas I follow, of those only a few are licensed, and any few license drops still get overshadowed by the number of new titles cropping up, by the time you've scooped out a few, someone's added few buckets.... The last one of those getting licensed might have been Drugstore in Another World, the one which got recently reviewed here.

Not just isekai mangas, for every My Senpai Is Annoying that does get licensed, there's a few dozen good situational comedy ones of Real mo Tamaniwa wo Tsuku ilk that remain in limbo in that regard...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
The phrase "Strike one down, and two more will take its place" comes to mind.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
how did he take home so little money if it the site was generating that many views.

curious what his day job was and how he can find a job post incarceratino.
Adv193

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:18 pm Reply with quote
ChiilongCha wrote:

Piracy will never go away and frankly cracking them down is a waste of resources.

VIZ sells their digital manga volumes $3 off the print price and place Amazon Kindle takes a similar approach which helps me Kodansha purchases not to mention the occasional sales. So at least their are options out their to cut back on money spending.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:39 am Reply with quote
Since this is a Japanese news source, I suspect that this refers to piracy sites that deal in Japanese language manga rather than English.
paulIsia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:45 pm Reply with quote
And yet the manga market keeps growing... It's almost as if piracy didn't hinder anything and just kept growing alongside the ever raising sales. Also counting all piracy as 1:1 lost income is ridiculous, it shouldn't even be allowed in reports like these since it's completely made up data.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:00 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The phrase "Strike one down, and two more will take its place" comes to mind.

The legal process is too slow and arduous to realistically shut down all the websites.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:16 am Reply with quote
The authorities don't have to take down all the websites. All they have to do is make the business difficult and unprofitable. If they consistently put barriers in their way and possibly interfere with their revenue stream they can turn if from a big problem to a minor nuisance. Persecute the big sites and the smaller ones will get nervous and harder to find. Play wack-a-mole long enough and the moles will get tired of the lumps on their heads. What the rights holders can't do is nothing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1