• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: To Your Eternity

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:26 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I don't know how intelligent knockers are or aren't, but their sense of dramatic timing is perfect.

Like Fushi, I guess they learn from watching. Apparently they were watching Fruits Basket a few weeks ago, which explains why they picked now to show up.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The director really nailed the latest episode's final scene with the little use of music and lack of credits when Rean and Gugu are finally approaching each other seriously. At first I disliked the idea that Fushi had to fight monsters out of nowhere. However, this cliffhanger sure gave Fushi's actions more conflict to the narrative if the Narrator (man those are similar words) was right that Fushi shouldn't stay in the same place forever.

Also, the opening video keeps making more sense the more we advance. We see scenes of March as an adult, the lonely villagers exploring happily, March's friend approaching a friend and grown Gugu with Rean..... Crying or Very sad The weird thing is that the opening vid also has several shots of that villager who wanted Fushi in the previous months... Shocked
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Everything was going too smoothly in this latest episode of To Your Eternity, so of course it had to end in tragedy Crying or Very sad

This show really does nail its emotional moments, be them heartbreaking or heartwarming. The latter are my favorite, seeing how I constantly find myself awwing at the screen. I just love the cute moments, like Gugu and Booze-Man's little dance or the animation on Rean's crayfish mask when she points at the sweat rag Fushi made. Those small bits of character animation are great.

That said, I do think that, visually speaking, the show can be kind of bland and boring to look at most of the time. I wish the backgrounds in particular were a bit more intricate to make the world and locations feel more memorable.

As for the music, it's a hit-or-miss. Not because the music is bad or anything, but because sometimes I feel like the songs they choose don't fit the scene at all, like when Gugu was hurting Fushi and you could hear a happy tune in the background. Thankfully, they did a great job with episode 11. That final scene brought me to tears.

Anyway, those are just nitpicks when the story and characters themselves are so compelling. Looking forward to next episode. Not really looking forward to my heart breaking into a million pieces.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think To Your Eternity is cruel enough to tear Gugu away from this mortal plane without letting him use the badass anti-Nokker helmet that the Booze Man spent the better part of four years making.

That's totally a textbook Chekhov's Badass Anti-Nokker Flamethrower Helmet.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:00 pm Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
Quote:
I don't think To Your Eternity is cruel enough to tear Gugu away from this mortal plane without letting him use the badass anti-Nokker helmet that the Booze Man spent the better part of four years making.

What the heck does that mean? Shocked
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:06 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
7777ale7777 wrote:
Quote:

I wanted to make a joke about Chekhov's gun.
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I love reading these reviews but I just gotta say, the wait until next Monday's episode is going to be TORTURE. I legitimately can't remember the last time I've been this anxious for the next episode of something. I feel so sorry for my bestie who has to play dumb any time I bring up predictions or potential spoilers. And part of me is tempted to look up spoilers but I also want to wait... Aaaah, this is torture!
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Like Fushi, I guess they learn from watching. Apparently they were watching Fruits Basket a few weeks ago, which explains why they picked now to show up.

Sadly we will (almost certainly) not have Fushi ask Rean if she pushed Gugu over the edge. Razz
Florete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:57 am Reply with quote
Honestly, after we lost March, I didn't think the show would ever be as good again, but damn if it isn't proving me wrong.

Though as far as this episode, I found the final scene of the platform breaking and Gugu falling a little weird. Yeah, I guess it's the nokkers, but aren't they after Fushi? Why would they attack Gugu? Do they hold grudges?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:09 am Reply with quote
They remember that it was Gugu who defeated them last time, so this was simply a tactical move to eliminate that threat ahead of attacking Fushi.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
7777ale7777 wrote:
Quote:

I wanted to make a joke about Chekhov's gun.

And you did! I laughed. I wish this place had a "like" button. Would have smashed it.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and the overall shock of Gugu's death just doesn't hit quite as hard now that we've figured out TYE's M.O.

No you've not quite figured out TYE's M.O.- shame we're only getting 20 episodes

Did folks catch the scene where spirit Gugu meets spirit March?
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I like to think of myself as proud and stoic but this had me shamelessly gross sobbing. Rest in peace Gugu, you went out like a man.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
James Beckett wrote:
Gugu's final vision of getting to experience his family with an unbroken face is touching, but nowhere near as heartbreaking as March's wistful last dream

Personally, that was the (second) scene that broke me. In the previous episode, Gugu told his brother that he never wanted to see his face again, but here, the very first thing we see in Gugu's dream world is Gugu being carried on Shin's back, meaning that deep down Gugu still loved and wanted to be with his big brother like when they were kids Crying or Very sad

Gugu's story was by far my favorite, but I'm ready for Fushi's next adventure. I'm guessing they'll throw new characters and locations at us every 6 episodes or so, and I'm totally fine with that. The pacing is great.

On a side note, apparently when a person dies in TYE, they can either go to a sort of "Heaven" where all their dreams come true, or they can choose to stay on Earth as spirits/ghosts. So far, the only character who chose to go to Heaven was The Boy from episode 1 (and honestly I don't blame him let that kid be happy). March and Gugu seem to have decided to stay by Fushi's side, so I wonder if they'll be able to guide him somehow. Also, I'd love to see Gugu and March interacting. They'd have a fun sibling-like dynamic.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I feel like someone brought this up before, but now I can't find who or when. But it turns out to be true that when Fushi reverts to one of his previous forms, he apparently resets all of them. At least the damn ropes proved useful at last! Very Happy

I'm not sure what this means though. It's like he gains emotional and mental experiences that stay with him, but the physical ones don't stick? I don't get why that should be the case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 14