• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Super Cub

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
People's pasts affect who they are in the present. So I can't agree that a character's past is ever irrelevant (though some need more delving into than others). There are as many ways that her family situation could affect how she was when we met her as there are reasons why she's not with said family.

But from a purely storytelling perspective, not explaining it implies there's a reason not to, yet, since it would be so simple to write the inevitable question off with a single line of dialog if there wasn't something otherwise significant about it. In the language you hold in contempt that's called "the elephant in the room" that everyone acts like isn't there. Apparently the author thought the question was important enough to spend 5 pages answering it, so I think the anime could've wasted 15 seconds putting it to rest, precisely so that viewers would not be distracted wondering about it further.

Koguma "past" and how her family situation came to be is as important as her driving lessons to get her driving license.
All that needs to be know is that it happened.

What about "show, don't tell"?
There's no need to explain things that don't need an explanation. If her mother would come back at before the end of the series would make sense to address the situation, but if he is not coming back than it's pointless and a waste of time. Isn't what what the story is about.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I was actually wondering how sustainable Koguma's lifestyle was for most of the series, specially as she kept on committing to severe expenses without any known source of income.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Bayuro2.0 wrote:
These girls are really tough like pro wrestlers. For a petite girl like Chii, after falling into an icy river from a cliff she just like getting rid of dust on her shoulders, thanks to Koguma's help.

Experience of ships sinking in cold water in the North Atlantic and Arctic Oceans indicates that a person without a wet/submersion suit has about 30 seconds of useful movement. So Shii could well have not been injured significantly by the crash, but if she had the wind knocked out of her, she could be effectively immobilized by the cold water by the time she got her breath back.

Bayuro2.0 wrote:
Back in episode 5 while attempting to climb Mt. Fuji with her cub, Reiko is still look almost unscathed despite falling from her cub several times.

A real person might well have most likely be unscathed from those falls if wearing proper gear (btdt - amazing how much energy 15-mm of strain-hardening foam can absorb), particularly when covered by a composite plate.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I was actually wondering how sustainable Koguma's lifestyle was for most of the series, specially as she kept on committing to severe expenses without any known source of income.

It is mentioned that Koguma gets a government stipend to cover basic living expenses and high school tuition.

Maybe Shino is Koguma's secret grandfather or guardian spirit in human form? He practically gives the Super Cub away for about 1/10th of what it is worth, gives her a new helmet and gloves under the pretense of a promotion from Honda which would almost certainly only apply to new bikes, and does an oil change for again about 1/10th the going rate.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
It is mentioned that Koguma gets a government stipend to cover basic living expenses and high school tuition.

I know it was mentioned later. But at the beginning all we got is Koguma saying "I have no family. I have no money"... and then comitting to this very expensive thing, even if a series of miracles waived the entry fee for her.
So I was really wondering what were her sources of sustenance and how much she got out of them. I too wondered about the old man, nobody goes around distributing free bikes and gear to random JK. But it also didn't seem to be the kind of show that would pull out a random secret grampa like it were a mahou shoujo series from the late 90's.

Despite its many... transgressions, the setting and tone of this show is very down to earth so having a stronger grasp on Koguma's reality would have gone a long way to sympathizing with her and waving distractions away.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:50 am Reply with quote
Talks like she is living in luxury.
She got almost everything cheap or even free, and she earned good money during summer. Poor shaming is not cool.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:02 pm Reply with quote
That bread knife is big enough to serve as a katana for Shii. Rolling Eyes
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Did they just bring a knife and cutting board along?
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:54 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

Probably fits in Koguma's giant drawstring bag that the other students thought she was making to hold all her stuff when running away from home (obviously she has not informed any classmates at that time, and likely only Reiko and Shii later, that she lives alone).
Octonian
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Like Mercedez I was ugly-crying by the end of this episode. What a beautiful, amazing series.

One little touch I really liked -- that four-way intersection they've shown throughout the series? I'm fairly certain this is the first time they've turned in that direction. Reiko even draws attention to it, saying if they turn right they won't have that far to go to get to cherry blossoms, but they're going to turn left towards parts unknown and bigger adventures. It's a wonderful moment and makes that intersection a kind of visual and thematic throughline.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote
If not for that 11 episode...

Funny that they ended taking care to remember that, despite how they talked during the series, that the Cub actually isn't a magical device and to not worship it.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:

Probably fits in Koguma's giant drawstring bag that the other students thought she was making to hold all her stuff when running away from home (obviously she has not informed any classmates at that time, and likely only Reiko and Shii later, that she lives alone).

That's on top of the food, clothes and other necessities they carried inside as well. That box really got some 4th-dimensional properties. As expected of a Cub Laughing
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Octonian wrote:
One little touch I really liked -- that four-way intersection they've shown throughout the series?

That intersection exists in the real world, as does the convenience store, high school, and some other features.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7855326,138.3817002,137m/data=!3m1!1e3
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Super Cub is better watched using the best audio possible. One will miss quite a bit if using typical laptop speakers - I have a HeadRoom Total BitHead amplifier and Etymotic in ear headphones that reveal a lot of detail otherwise missed.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
If anyone was wondering how Shii's new Little Cub differs from Koguma's
Super Cub C50, this article will help.

https://imotorbike.my/news/en/2020/11/im-cubaholic-e-p-26-honda-little-cub-the-14-inch-little-super-cub/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13