• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Columbia Pictures Orders Film Script of Made in Abyss Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchigu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh, god no. Please stay away.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:01 pm Reply with quote
There are many, MANY reasons why this should never see the light of day.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Not familiar w/ the talent involved here. I can see potential problems however with developing this story into a live-action fare. It is exceedingly easy for the horror elements of this series to go from "creepy horror" to "b-movie schlock", particularly since the vast majority of the cast we spend time with are not even teens. Writing the script itself won't be a problem, but it's not exactly the sort of story that lends itself well to a live-action make.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Uh, once they'd adapted the script enough for American audiences, is it still recognizable as 'Made in Abyss'?...

I mean, just take the central issue of the cast being a pair of children, within an environment reminiscent of 'The Descent'...
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:26 pm Reply with quote
The original article, even hours after posting, still claims a "Columba Pictures" (not the well-known Columbia) is producing it. I'm guessing that's a typo? Weird they haven't fixed that after all this time.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Uh, once they'd adapted the script enough for American audiences, is it still recognizable as 'Made in Abyss'?...

I would say no, but that has never stopped most film adaptions before. It's all about name recognition in the end.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Done well, I imagine the result will feature adults, and will be like Annihilation, only vertical instead of set in a swamp. Annihilation was pretty decent horror, and it could work pretty well.

Or think of the Abyss as a manifestation of the Zone from Roadside Picnic/Stalker.

The only problem is those movies exist and don't really need to be done again.
el_morris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:44 pm Reply with quote
They're gonna make a Disney alike movie, isn't?
RockSplash

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:50 pm Reply with quote
el_morris wrote:
They're gonna make a Disney alike movie, isn't?

Considering the director has only worked on horror films. I think the intent is that the film would be extremely dark as the source material. The characters would most likely be aged up. I know so little about this series, so that is all I have to say.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:06 pm Reply with quote
People can and have made horror and dark fantasy films starring children (It, back in 2017, was a huge success, and Pan's Labyrinth got very dark and gory as well, and there's The Devil's Backbone...) but for this to be even slightly reminiscent of the manga it would likely have to be made FAR outside the Hollywood system because it's... Well, it's not typical studio fare. If it could even adapt well to film. And the budget it would need to be done well is probably more than many non-studio horror directors can afford.

Anyway, studios option things all the time. It may not even get made even if they do order a script.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:09 pm Reply with quote
The fact that the Director has only done horror in the past and that MiA isn't a horror series (it's an adventure series with themes like facing your own mortality, finding value in your life and experiences, and a classic and optimistic call to adventure with the journey being more important than the destination) despite having some horror elements tells me all I need to know.

This will be slasher schlock.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm open to plenty of anime live action adaptation ideas and Made in Abyss has been one of my favorite manga of the past decade but I really don't see this working in a live action format. Part of the appeal of the series is it's whole bait and switch nature where you have the contrast with the cartoonish character designs with the darker elements and you can't really recreate that in live action. I also worry they're going to zoom in on the darker element as the ONLY draw of the story and ignore the world building and compelling character writing.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I have very little faith in this movie turning out to be good once it’s released, much less be at least up to par with its source material. Many, many, many things will have to be altered or omitted entirely in order for it to be remotely appealing and accessible for the average American audience. The director attached to the film adaptation only directing horror movies also makes me feel rather uneasy as I, like one of the other posters in this thread, feel like the series is not mainly horror-focused. The focus on the series is the adventure that Riko and Reg are embarking on and all the discoveries they make, challenges they face, and individuals they meet along the way. If the director only decides to focus on the scary parts of the series, the movie will not turn out very well and just end up as yet another generic slasher horror film.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why they keep getting Masi Oka to produce these live-action movies. I seriously don't have faith in the guy producing this adaptation after the heap of trash that was Netflix's Death Note (IMDb also lists him as the producer of a future live-action Attack On Titan movie, another product not suited for just a live-action movie).

The only reason I have faith (while being extremely cautious) in his involvement with The Promised Neverland show on Amazon, is because it's Amazon, and I doubt the need for this guy being part of that adaptation when Amazon might as well could get away with changing the setting of the manga to a Western one, specially since most of the manga's original setting doesn't look strictly Japanese.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:00 pm Reply with quote
This should go as well as thinking a live-action adaptation of Watership Down would work out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3