• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Columbia Pictures Orders Film Script of Made in Abyss Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why they try to adapt something like this. If Hollywood wants to adapt an.anime, they should do something like Black Lagoon. That would work great ad a Hollywood blockbuster. MiA won't.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Someone on Twitter mentioned that this could have worked in the 80s with heavy practical effects. Perhaps toned down just enough to be a more family-friendly but still nightmare fuel ridden dark fantasy film, as an homage to the classic "surprisingly sad/dark/horrifying fantasy adventures with kid heroes, creative settings, and weird creatures" movies of that time period. I think it could work as a reimagining.

Unfortunately, this is 2021 Hollywood we're talking about.

Last edited by ninjamitsuki on Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:35 am; edited 4 times in total
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I really like the anthropomorphic character designs in this series. Perhaps with live-action they could do something like Avatar and make all the non-human characters fully rendered and focus the story on those non-human characters. Then the filmmakers would have more creative liberty with the horror elements, but retain the core action-adventure genre.
Heart of the Foreign God

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:24 am Reply with quote
Welcome to a nightmare where Nanachi is either a CGI monstrosity or a muppet
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:10 am Reply with quote
Heart of the Foreign God wrote:

You know y'all want a Nanachi muppet! Lol, for real though. I can tell you right now this movie is not being made for anime fans, quite the opposite actually. I'll take a hard pass and stick with the anime/manga.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:18 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Someone on Twitter mentioned that this could have worked in the 80s with heavy practical effects. Perhaps toned down just enough to be a more family-friendly but still nightmare fuel ridden dark fantasy film, that wouldn't even be so bad as a reimagining.

Unfortunately, this is 2021 Hollywood we're talking about.

I was about to say, Hollywood movies are getting to the point where even animals are just being CGI'd in instead of having them on-set, there's no way we're ever returning to 80s levels of practical effects in anything but niche vanity projects.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:50 am Reply with quote
They are going to F this up.

I've only seen the anime, but I can tell you right now that doing this justice is still an expensive undertaking which either means they spend the money but turn it into stereotypical mass market crap, or decide it is too out there and make it cheaply to the point its extremely stripped down.

I'd only trust Guillermo Del Toro to get many of the aspects right from environment to creature design to practical FX. Him and WETA workshop, and please keep the characters as kids, but we're not getting that, no, we have the Death Note guys... They had easily translatable straightforward gold with Death Note that could be done cheaply by comparison and they went out of their way to royally screw that up!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:50 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Someone on Twitter mentioned that this could have worked in the 80s with heavy practical effects. Perhaps toned down just enough to be a more family-friendly but still nightmare fuel ridden dark fantasy film, that wouldn't even be so bad as a reimagining.
I actually had the same thought while reading the article, that way it would at least be interesting to see regardless of how well it turns out. Another issue with Hollywood, is for this to look good you would need a large budget. Which would result in this being focus tested to death.
olgita

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:00 am Reply with quote
I bet Reg and Riko aren't gonna be children, but young adults or late teenagers at least.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:49 am Reply with quote
Heart of the Foreign God wrote:

Nanachi will be a muppet, but the real horror will be what they'll do to poor Mitty. Hasn't she suffered enough already?
meruru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:06 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
I don't know why they keep getting Masi Oka to produce these live-action movies. I seriously don't have faith in the guy producing this adaptation after the heap of trash that was Netflix's Death Note (IMDb also lists him as the producer of a future live-action Attack On Titan movie, another product not suited for just a live-action movie).

The only reason I have faith (while being extremely cautious) in his involvement with The Promised Neverland show on Amazon, is because it's Amazon, and I doubt the need for this guy being part of that adaptation when Amazon might as well could get away with changing the setting of the manga to a Western one, specially since most of the manga's original setting doesn't look strictly Japanese.

Because it's the producer's job to figure out what to make. In other words, it's Masi Oka deciding to make shows based on anime/manga, not the other way around. He is a fan, and has faith they could be good shows, and without him, none of these would ever get made.

I'm not entirely sure on this, but I think while producers do have some influence on how the show turns out, that they're more the "product manager." They market, organize, hire people, decide on projects, etc. I think he's probably being held back by a lack of knowledge of anime/manga (after all, he seems to be the one guy actually wanting to produce these), and that anime/manga adaptations have yet to produce something people really respect, so it's harder to get good talent for it.

That said, I'm not sure why he picked Made in Abyss. The anime adaptation is just so good, that I don't think any live action adaptation he could possibly make could compare. I have more hope for Promised Neverland, which does not have a good anime adaptation, but also I think it could be changed and not feel like it's no longer Promised Neverland.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
Because it's the producer's job to figure out what to make. In other words, it's Masi Oka deciding to make shows based on anime/manga, not the other way around. He is a fan, and has faith they could be good shows, and without him, none of these would ever get made.

I'm not entirely sure on this, but I think while producers do have some influence on how the show turns out, that they're more the "product manager." They market, organize, hire people, decide on projects, etc. I think he's probably being held back by a lack of knowledge of anime/manga (after all, he seems to be the one guy actually wanting to produce these), and that anime/manga adaptations have yet to produce something people really respect, so it's harder to get good talent for it.

That said, I'm not sure why he picked Made in Abyss. The anime adaptation is just so good, that I don't think any live action adaptation he could possibly make could compare. I have more hope for Promised Neverland, which does not have a good anime adaptation, but also I think it could be changed and not feel like it's no longer Promised Neverland.

Without him, we shouldn't get the bunch of trash he's producing, so yeah, these products shouldn't get made if that's the result. And I don't know how he's a fan, when Death Note ws so easy to adapt, and still got what we got.

If he is the one choosing which anime/manga to adapt to live-action, my criticism of the guy still stands. There's nothing more to say. The guy os bad at his job, at least from an artistic point of view. And you didn't answer my question; you just repeat his functions as producer, which is the very thing I'm criticizing him for as the choice for these adaptations being a thing in the first place.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Any version of this story where the protagonists are not about 10-11 years old will be a travesty. I'm guessing the cast will look more like the Harry Potter cast in the first film. Daniel Radcliffe was thirteen when the first HP movie was released.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
meruru wrote:
Because it's the producer's job to figure out what to make....

Without him...

Trimmed the prior comments for sake of saving space.

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but what I think Meruru is getting at is the fact that as a fan of anime, Oka would like to see it brought to western audiences more. Obviously, the animated form only had so much appeal, so by making a Hollywood movie out of it, the hope is to make that appeal more broad-based in a medium more people are willing to look at it from. I think Godzilla is a perfect example. As much money as Godzilla v Kong made, I can guarantee a minute fraction of the folks that watched that movie are even going to give a thought to the animated production heading to Netflix.

That being said, a producer's influence is great, but limited. They bring a project of a studio, get promises of investment, that studio and investors are going to demand input on how to make that product successful so their investment pays off. Studio and investors can and often will demand certain script and character changes, specific directors to be on-board, other producers to be involved, certain actors to be involved, etc. The only way he gets more leeway to make a more perfected piece is if he makes stuff in the hope they do well enough to get more say-so in the next one. There is no other way this sort of thing will work, unless, as someone else mentioned, you have an extremely wealthy person embark on a vanity project. And Oka can't get that far without making movies. Might as well do it working on something you like.

Unless the proposition is that NO anime EVER be given live-action treatment, failed projects and unlikely aspirations are the cost of doing business.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Any version of this story where the protagonists are not about 10-11 years old will be a travesty. I'm guessing the cast will look more like the Harry Potter cast in the first film. Daniel Radcliffe was thirteen when the first HP movie was released.

I might not be a fan of this announcement, and I agree that it sucks when characters in a live-action adaptation are drastically aged up, but the example you give is silly. Radcliffe was 11 when he was cast to play Harry (the same age as Harry in the first book), was he supposed to stop aging, or do you not realize movies can take more than a year to be made?.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3