• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fruits Basket the Final

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blazaking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She's so uplifted by Kyo's new ability to look forward to a bright future that she can see it too, envisioning herself bringing a packed lunch to Kyo (WITH A RING ON HER FINGER, please look at this!) on a day so sunny, he appears to be haloed in light.

Thank you for pointing this out!! I didn't notice the first time!
Stelman257

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:03 am Reply with quote
God I loved everything in this episode so much. Of course they had to put Tohru's Mum's final moments in at the end just to rip my heart out again. I can't wait for the last episode next week, and what a phenomenal experience it's been following this series since 2019.
And yes thank you for pointing out the ring on her finger!
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
[...]
And now to complain about this adaptation a bit, because it doesn't offer those tools nearly as well! Hahaha.[...]

Short version - as good as Fruits Basket the Final is, it would have been better with two cours (i.e., 78 instead of 63 episodes) instead of a single cour. Sad
Well, let us not let the perfect be the enemy of the excellent.

Haha and that's fair enough. I've adored this show so much, but I can understand that for you manga fans it's a passion that some of you have had for decades now, and that the criticism is always out of love.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:24 am Reply with quote
I saw comments from manga readers saying that episode 12 skipped a lot of manga scenes including spoiler[Kyoru's zoo date (it includes Arisa and Hanajima) and school scene.] In the anime Katsuya's face is hidden while in the manga his face is showed. Why they still hiding Katsuya's face? Is there a reason or something?

And looks like the anime version are rid of Komaki and she (and Katsuya, sort of) is the only Furuba character not to exist in the anime. And anime only people won't see of spoiler[ who killed Kyoko? And it's Komaki's father. But later he killing himself.]

Seasons 1 and 2 are adapted well with few cuttings while season 3 -- not so much because the pacing is weird and rushed (like 6,10 and 12) and lots of manga scenes and chapters are skipped, which anime only people are deserved to know: Kyoko-Katsuya backstory, Kyoru moments, Yuchi moments, Kakeru's backstory, Komaki and small scenes like Ayame-Mine. The anime was supposed to adapt the rest of the manga but somehow I feel lied and salty. The final season should have two cours instead one. Not gonna lie, the anime is mostly good.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:58 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

Seasons 1 and 2 are adapted well with few cuttings while season 3 -- not so much because the pacing is weird and rushed (like 6,10 and 12) and lots of manga scenes and chapters are skipped, which anime only people are deserved to know: Kyoko-Katsuya backstory, Kyoru moments, Yuchi moments, Kakeru's backstory, Komaki and small scenes like Ayame-Mine. The anime was supposed to adapt the rest of the manga but somehow I feel lied and salty. The final season should have two cours instead one. Not gonna lie, the anime is mostly good.

We can always hope for a few OVA episodes to fill in some of the gaps.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:06 am Reply with quote
Yeah the fact that they were doing so well with pacing until the final half is the real disappointment of this adaption. They only needed one more cour too.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:43 am Reply with quote
Well, as nice as it would've been to see everything in the story adapted, I think they made the right choices about what to leave on the cutting room floor. Knowing who killed Kyoko or how she met Katsuya isn't terribly important to the main story. And as others had said they could be made into OVAs. In this day and age where adaptations rarely go past 12 episodes I feel we're truly blessed to see Fruits Basket get 63 to tell its story to the end.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:38 am Reply with quote
Man, the ending of episode 12 was truly beautiful. "You fought well." Certainly no danger of your tear ducts getting too dry and dusty from lack of use with this show.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:48 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Why they still hiding Katsuya's face? Is there a reason or something?

Because he's not really a character. He's a figure in Kyoko's life, and an important person she loved. But he's not a character any of us in the audience know or care about, hell Tohru barely knew him. So his face isn't shown to preserve that otherworld/unknown feeling of him. I don't think it would've made that much of a difference if they'd shown his face or not, but I can understand choosing not too.
ErikaD.D wrote:
And looks like the anime version are rid of Komaki and she (and Katsuya, sort of) is the only Furuba character not to exist in the anime. And anime only people won't see of spoiler[ who killed Kyoko? And it's Komaki's father. But later he killing himself.]

I will say straight up, of all things in Fruit's Basket I wanted to see and know, the absolutely dead last thing I wanted to know was all the PRECISE little nitty gritty details on exactly how Kyoko's death went down. It's framed as an accident from the very beginning, Kyo's flashback of the events show that it was indeed an accident out of control car, and sometimes accidents just happen in the cruel world! It was a powerful event that deeply affected Tohru and Kyo, and less is always more when dealing with events like that in a story I find.

Don't get me wrong, yeah if it was in the manga to a point it would have definitely been worth adapting, no argument there. But this definitely sounds like one of the better decisions they made in their adaptation choices of what to leave out/condense.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Hard to believe its finally finished, and while normally I feel like I'd have more to say on the finale - I kinda just want to sit on those feelings of having one of my favorite manga adapted to the end. Even if there were a couple stumbles in this last act that could have been saved with a few additional episodes (more Yuki and Machi development was sorely missed) and a more keen eye (moments like Akito's confrontation with the maid), overall I'm still fully in the satisfied and thankful camp. Its a nice feeling, especially for a demographic that often doesn't get this much love.

One thing I will say is that I was nervous they weren't going to keep that Rin moment in when they started following a pattern of everyone happily reminiscing, but thank god they kept it, even if it was slightly altered. Its so vitally important for reasons I talked about in my last comment, and something that has had a formative impact on me at a really young age with regards to how I view the "burden of forgiveness" placed on victims. And growing up at a religious school where the ability to forgive is sort of viewed as the morally superior way or even a necessity, I'm thankful I got a different perspective that allowed me to be more empathetic. No victims should have to feel ashamed or wrong for not being able to forgive someone, and no one should look down on a victim for moving forward without doing so.
Quote:
Anime, including Fruits Basket, isn't always kind to mothers, who suffer and die for the sake of their kids all the time. It can be a thankless role. When Yuki mom-zones Tohru, he isn't expecting her sacrifice at the expense of his own self-actualization. Instead, he is thanking Tohru for choosing to show him care when it wasn't required of her. “You raised me into a person,” he tells her.

This whole scene felt pretty impactful already (and yeah it is something that would only really work in this context), but this added to it in a way I didn't realize before. It really can be a thankless role in anime, often under-appreciated as something expected or just treated as a motivating force for the lead - and its so gratifying to see Yuki's genuine gratitude put into words.

Lastly, I want to give a quick round of applause to Lauren for picking up the show midway through and putting out these reviews each and every week! I really loved reading them, participating in these discussions and looking at everyone's comments after each new episode (whether they were full-on analytical breakdowns or just quick reactions/takeaways haha)!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:01 pm Reply with quote
What an amazingly beautiful adaptation....better than the manga, imho♥

(that's mostly because I prefer the style the anime used over the later manga art)

Can't wait to rewatch this whole thing over again on bluray.

I was a little disappointed we didn't see more of Kyou and Tohru dating like where she comes running to him "Kyou-kuuuuun" "....what are you, a puppy?" Laughing

But I am satisfied, overall.

Please do more remakes like this. This is the best remake of literally any media I've ever seen!!
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
What a ride this has been. While this final season hasn't been perfect--I still wish it would have been longer so it could cover more things from the manga--the scenes it did cover were done really well for the most part. Fruits Basket has been a longtime favourite series of mine, and I'm so glad we were able to get an adaptation that was faithful to the manga's plot and tone. I've also really enjoyed reading these reviews as I've been watching it, since it's helped me consider some angles I haven't before.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:16 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Knowing who killed Kyoko or how she met Katsuya isn't terribly important to the main story. And as others had said they could be made into OVAs.

As most know, we have been promised the latter for 2022.

KitKat1721 wrote:
No victims should have to feel ashamed or wrong for not being able to forgive someone, and no one should look down on a victim for moving forward without doing so.

Rin/Isuzu should not let herself be consumed with anger/hatred of Akito, but it would be perfectly normal and healthy if she does not want to associate with (much less be friends with) Akito in the future.

Chiibi wrote:
(that's mostly because I prefer the style the anime used over the later manga art)

Natsuki Takaya injured her dominant arm which resulted in the artistic quality of the manga deteriorating.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Natsuki Takaya injured her dominant arm which resulted in the artistic quality of the manga deteriorating.

I'm perfectly aware of that; I'm just saying the anime's art made the experience a lot richer.
motormind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:51 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who doesn't buy Kyo's story that spoiler[he couldn't have saved Kyoko because he might have turned into a cat? She was standing in front of him wearing a blazer with a purse over one shoulder, so he could have grabbed her by the collar and the purse's strap to pull her out of the way with no need to touch her] Sure, he might have dislocated Kyoko's shoulder that way, but she would have lived.]

I am especially miffed that Kyo gets to have a blissful life with Tohru, even though he was so insistently abusive toward her most of time on top of turning out to be a selfish coward. I know this is shoujo fluff, where abusive boyfriends are the norm, but come on! It irks me almost more than the fact that Akito spoiler[gets away with several murder attempts instead of landing in jail where she belongs.]

This show had some promise in the beginning, then meandered thoroughly in the second season, only to turn into a total train wreck by the third. Well, that'll teach me to watch any more shoujo stuff in future. Live and learn, I guess.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote
motormind wrote:
I am especially miffed that Kyo gets to have a blissful life with Tohru, even though he was so insistently abusive toward her most of time on top of turning out to be a selfish coward. I know this is shoujo fluff, where abusive boyfriends are the norm, but come on!

How do you think Kyo is "abusive"? That word gets thrown around a lot when it comes to fictional characters who do things that people personally don't like. Kyo may have his flaws, but he's far from abusive and he becomes more respectful towards Tohru than many male love interests are towards shoujo heroines.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8