Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Age Tamagotchi are Touchscreen Smartwatches




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Meowtain Duwu



Joined: 11 May 2021
Posts: 71
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote
This looks so cool! Now they can finally be used as a watch (like what the name of the toy is; “tamagotchi” roughly translates to “egg watch” in English in case anyone didn’t know that).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 4415
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
This looks so cool! Now they can finally be used as a watch (like what the name of the toy is; “tamagotchi” roughly translates to “egg watch” in English in case anyone didn’t know that).
So the old ones were pocket watches?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Meowtain Duwu



Joined: 11 May 2021
Posts: 71
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
This looks so cool! Now they can finally be used as a watch (like what the name of the toy is; “tamagotchi” roughly translates to “egg watch” in English in case anyone didn’t know that).
So the old ones were pocket watches?

That’s definitely a new way to think of the classic ones! Makes sense since they have an attached chain that’s easy to put away in a pocket or another place for safekeeping (hence the “pocket” part of “pocket watch”). Lol, didn’t even think of that!

It is cool though that there is finally now a Tamagotchi that takes the form of a typical wristwatch! I might even have to purchase one myself...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mizuki-Takashima



Joined: 10 Sep 2011
Posts: 212
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:36 am Reply with quote
Fingers crossed that these come out state-side at some point. I remember missing the train on the tamagotchi fad in elementary school, because I heard that they can die? Like I thought that would kill the entire toy and render it unusable?? So that scared me away from buying one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lann



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Posts: 248
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:20 am Reply with quote
Marketed exclusively for females it seems. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
CheerSong



Joined: 29 Jun 2011
Posts: 78
Location: Route 7, Kanto
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:36 am Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
Fingers crossed that these come out state-side at some point. I remember missing the train on the tamagotchi fad in elementary school, because I heard that they can die? Like I thought that would kill the entire toy and render it unusable?? So that scared me away from buying one.

These are most likely gonna be Japan only, but you can get classic Tamagotchi (with great new designs!) brand new in stores.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 2657
Location: Toronto
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
This looks like the Tamagotchi equivalent of the Digimon Vital Bracelet. Kind of the inverse of what historically happened.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group