• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Digital Video Market Topped Combined Physical Video, Rental Sales for 1st Time in 2020

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Changeman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I thought Fanza only worked with hentai, well whatever!

It would be nice if the animators had a share of that fortune.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:52 am Reply with quote
Of course it did, no one could go outside. I'd be shocked it if it didn't happen.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
I thought Fanza only worked with hentai, well whatever!

It would be nice if the animators had a share of that fortune.

A while back I put the numbers from the latest AJA report summary in a spreadsheet. Going by 2019 data, anime studios get 74% of the revenue from TV broadcasts, 56% of revenue from movie tickets, 31.5% of revenue from internet distribution, 13% from disc sales, and 12% from music. So I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up benefiting from a shift to digital.

Now, everything else -- pachinko, merch, live events, overseas distribution -- they get less than 10%. Which is a problem, considering that overseas/merch/pachinko add up to 83% of industry revenue, around 2.1 trillion yen -- the studios only get 7% of that pie.

Still, the studios' revenue has set records every year since 2016, even though their proportion of industry revenue hasn't really grown since the early 2010s. Wonder how all these numbers change if you just look at anime where the studio's on the production committee...

Of course, "studio revenue" and "animator income" are different topics, but I guess the one does limit the other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1