• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Age Tamagotchi are Touchscreen Smartwatches

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote
This looks so cool! Now they can finally be used as a watch (like what the name of the toy is; “tamagotchi” roughly translates to “egg watch” in English in case anyone didn’t know that).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
This looks so cool! Now they can finally be used as a watch (like what the name of the toy is; “tamagotchi” roughly translates to “egg watch” in English in case anyone didn’t know that).
So the old ones were pocket watches?
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
So the old ones were pocket watches?

That’s definitely a new way to think of the classic ones! Makes sense since they have an attached chain that’s easy to put away in a pocket or another place for safekeeping (hence the “pocket” part of “pocket watch”). Lol, didn’t even think of that!

It is cool though that there is finally now a Tamagotchi that takes the form of a typical wristwatch! I might even have to purchase one myself...
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:36 am Reply with quote
Fingers crossed that these come out state-side at some point. I remember missing the train on the tamagotchi fad in elementary school, because I heard that they can die? Like I thought that would kill the entire toy and render it unusable?? So that scared me away from buying one.
Lann

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:20 am Reply with quote
Marketed exclusively for females it seems. Rolling Eyes
CheerSong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:36 am Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
Fingers crossed that these come out state-side at some point. I remember missing the train on the tamagotchi fad in elementary school, because I heard that they can die? Like I thought that would kill the entire toy and render it unusable?? So that scared me away from buying one.

These are most likely gonna be Japan only, but you can get classic Tamagotchi (with great new designs!) brand new in stores.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
This looks like the Tamagotchi equivalent of the Digimon Vital Bracelet. Kind of the inverse of what historically happened.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1