• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Garden of Words Collaboration Hotel Package Recreates Forbidden Love in Rainy Summer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joemuszynski

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I’d like something like this, but as a stay in the Non Non Biyori schoolhouse overnight. But with curry.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:02 pm Reply with quote
That is... just weird.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:33 pm Reply with quote
While I really like the movie, it seems like a strange choice for (what I assume is) a romantic retreat with the whole forbidden love aspect to it.

The room itself looks nice at least, and would be really nice for fans of the movie.
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what Shinkai loves more: sky or advertisment Laughing

Jokes aside, one of my most favourite movies (5 cm and Your Name are closer to my heart though). But this is kinda weird choice.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Hell if I had the extra money and access I would consider doing this.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:57 pm Reply with quote
This seems like kind of a bum deal given that admission to Shinjuku Gyoen, where the film literally takes place and you can "recreate" its scenes one-to-one, is only ¥500...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:51 pm Reply with quote
A bit of a lop-sided marketing ploy if you ask me. New Otani is an old high-end, high-image hotel and they are probably looking to attract the attention of younger (but not too young) affluent clientele for the future, those whose sensibilities line up with their image/brand that would like GoW. Not sure how good this would be for Shinkai, but maybe for the money?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:32 am Reply with quote
Okay, this is awkward... My parents stayed in what looks like the exact same room type as this is in the new otani when they visited me in Japan a few years back...

The gardens on the hotel grounds really are beautiful though, one of the oldest private Japanese gardens continually maintained in Tokyo.

Nothing close to the size of Shinjuku park though...

New otani is, as a person stated earlier, a luxury hotel in Tokyo that's five stars, or would be if they actually renovated it recently, currently it still feels like something from the 90s. Clientele is all old people, I can see why they are attempting campaigns like this, but we'll good luck with that. Biggest issue as far as I'm concerned is it's a 12 minute walk to the nearest subway station (that's really far for Tokyo...), and there isn't much in the immediate vicinity of the hotel except very expensive apartments and some commercial buildings.
PisitSoniz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:51 am Reply with quote
This hotel is perfect, but now it is not as popular as before. Of course, this is how they want to attract young people to their hotel. To be honest, this does not impress me in any way. I would still choose another hotel. To attract young people, update your interior, make it more modern, and make free Wi-Fi. This will definitely work. One of these modern hotels is https://www.westgateresorts.com/hotels/new-york/midtown-manhattan/westgate-new-york-grand-central/groups-meetings/business/. I always hold business meetings at this hotel, because it has everything you need for this. I also like to stay at this hotel for the night, the service is at the highest level.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1