• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Zombie Land Saga Revenge [2021-04-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willo567

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:23 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Willo567 wrote:
I agree that ZLS has a wider appeal than other idol shows and that it's delved into other genres before (such as period drama this season), but the show has always been about idols first and foremost, along with comedy and heart.

And did you not watch the stinger, because shit like that doesn't happen in idol shows

Honestly? The stinger felt cheap. I've seen stuff like that in dozens of shows, and in this case it's not real "content" as it's (almost) completely unrelated to anything before: only the promised destruction and that the landscape they show belongs to Saga. The characters and the story don't interact with it in any way, you could remove or replace it with something else and not only would be unnoticeable, it wouldn't change or recontextualize anything of what came before. And as a surprise or something outrageous or comedic... it's not particularly funny either. It has the quality of a jumpscare.

... but thinking twice, I think it did affect me: I spent half of the episode wondering how they were "saving Saga" from the curse and the imminent total obliteration that would erase Saga in the advent of the Reiwa era with that concert, when they were going to do something noticeable toward that end, when they'd follow on Koutarou's knowledge and that blood. And this stinger was the answer to that: they weren't, and they didn't. They failed.

I have no idea why you think they wouldn't already be planning a third season to follow up on the stinger and Kotaro's blood. And the girls don't know anything about the curse or Kotaro's condition
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:29 am Reply with quote
Willo567 wrote:
I have no idea why you think they wouldn't already be planning a third season to follow up on the stinger and Kotaro's blood. And the girls don't know anything about the curse or Kotaro's condition

They may, or may not. I don't care. What I care about is the current season, the current episode and the current finale. And that finale, while it concluded the growth of Franchouchou and its relationship with the citizens of Saga (previous episode did most of that work anyway), it failed to address the escalating threat that they had been introducing and developing right before this episode.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I am neither an idol music fan, so I admit I pay close to no attention to the songs unless something special happens.

Then again, in Season 1 there were no threat for the (undead) girls. Just Kotaro screaming about saving Saga and that was all. The bigger danger in Season 1 was getting discovered.

And in this season, they add the Threat and the curse. Kotaro almost die a couple of times... It is not that they are ignoring the main factor of the story. The curse and the threat is an update of the series. Not too much, because it is still an idol anime, but anyway, it is.

Last edited by kgw on Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Desa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I thought the show was fun. It didn't have to fit into any box so it just didn't.
Comedy slice-of-life idol musical or serious gory historical period drama? Yes.

And the final takeaway was beautiful. The message was received loud and clear:
"The power of community can save your town, but it can't save you from aliens... only zombies can!"

S3: Zombies vs Aliens when?!!
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I thought the performance at the end was awesome. The countdown at the beginning of their concert was especially exciting. And while I wasn't too big a fan of their performances on season one, I really dug the ones this season, like Junkos songs, Yuigiris song (maybe my favorite), and pretty much the entire finale,

Season finale didn't disappoint me at all. I'm fact, what would have disappointed me would have been if they tried to rush everything into one episode. I'm fine waiting until next season to get my answers.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
S3: Zombies vs Aliens when?!!

It technically already happened, if you count the Crossover event in Super Robot Wars X-Ω.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8pML1-poSg

Sakura even got kidnapped by robot-aliens!
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:03 pm Reply with quote
The super hero landing by the chicken man had me rolling Laughing

If there's a 3rd season I'm sure it will show that Tae was watching an Independence Day type movie or something.

If not, I'm fine with that absurd ending finishing off the series as it doesn't seem out of character.
I'm less fine with the blood thing since that does feel a bit off to end the series with.

I didn't mind the 3 songs in the final episode, but I think it would have been better with 2 and had some more plot to fill up that time.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:02 am Reply with quote
Great little show! Comedy has been its best bits.

I like to think of the ending for now as the lead in to No Mores Heroes III.

Travis Touchdown and Suda 51 will save Saga.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:16 am Reply with quote
My mind is blown … it’s not like the songs / performances are a minor part of this series. There’s a song and dance number in practically every episode and all the plots and stories culminate in a song.

Imagine ignoring or skipping over Saga Jihen I mean … smh, why are y’all even watching this Shocked
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:33 am Reply with quote
For the comedy, mostly
T.A. Barnhart

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:13 pm Reply with quote
why is this being reviewed by someone who says he's indifferent to idol music? that's a major part of this series & certainly this episode. the songwriters nailed all 3 songs, as they have often done throughout the series. they know the formula, and they deliver. i'm not an idol fan, but i like good music, and this series (apart from episode 2's "rap") had tons of it.

but sure. let's just toss aside the major portion of the final episode as if it wasn't meaningful. ridiculous.

and i loved the final scene, even if it makes no damn sense at all. which it doesn't. yet.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
For the comedy, mostly

Same. I don't hate the songs but most do not leave an impression. Between two seasons, the only performances I can still remember are the rap and rock performances, and Lili's competition performance.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:05 pm Reply with quote
T.A. Barnhart wrote:
why is this being reviewed by someone who says he's indifferent to idol music? that's a major part of this series & certainly this episode. the songwriters nailed all 3 songs, as they have often done throughout the series. they know the formula, and they deliver. i'm not an idol fan, but i like good music, and this series (apart from episode 2's "rap") had tons of it.

Because just like Zombieland Saga (as a whole) isn't tailored to one specific demographic, the review and reviewer don't have to be tailored to one specific demographic either.

Not like the review ignores the songs. Like, at all.

HAL14 wrote:
Same. I don't hate the songs but most do not leave an impression. Between two seasons, the only performances I can still remember are the rap and rock performances, and Lili's competition performance.

Another one that sticks is that headbanger from the first episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9