• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: SEVEN KNIGHTS REVOLUTION: Hero Successor

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
SEVEN KNIGHTS REVOLUTION: Hero Successor isn't a terrible show. It has some elements that work well and a genuinely nice ending. But it also feels like the kind of series that you forget soon after finishing. . .

This exactly sums up my reaction to the series. I hadn't originally intended to follow it, but it became decent "watch if I'm bored" filler.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
As someone whose craving a return to the days of sword and sorcery, this was a welcome surprise. I agree with the reviewer that it doesn't seem to have the staying power as the juggernauts of this season but I'd buy it, if it came to blu ray. I just find it odd that I have to rely on cellphone games to create anime for this genre anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I like fantasy isekai, I just want more fantasy shows that don't rely on rpg mechanics as much
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I hadn't originally intended to follow it, but it became decent "watch if I'm bored" filler.

That's how I ended up watching the whole thing. Well, half that and half what Spike Terra said - sword and sorcery is my favorite fantasy subgenre, and I'll (usually) take it how I can get it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Well as I enjoy the genre at least I know what I'm getting in to before starting this one. I suppose if the mood hits it might be worth a watch.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:07 am Reply with quote
I skipped this show because I wasn't a huge fan of the mobile game when I tried it, and the King's Raid anime was already a pain to get through (even though I was a fan of that mobile game), but hearing that it's a mediocre but inoffensive sword & sorcery show with a legitimate ending actually made me kind of want to try it out. I'm a sucker for anything in this genre that isn't marred by terrible pacing and awful writing choices, and it sounds like Seven Knights is just marred by how generic it is, which I can definitely take. I like milquetoast fantasy series -- in small doses, at least.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:31 am Reply with quote
I will agree that the Ellen and Shirley part was the best. It was kind of cool that an episode before the two had what looked like a particularly intimate moment, followed by what looked like a stock love triangle plot with the protagonist and Shirley, before Nemo saw through her actual feelings were towards Ellen. And that it kind of put barely a touch on saying it was strange for too girls, when they then danced together. And in the finale it looked like it would be a case of Ellen just sacrificing herself as one half of the queer couple to save the straight one, before Shirley went over and got angry about her disregarding her feelings in deciding to just disappear. And they became forever vampire girlfriends.

I was otherwise making a joke about the catboy being the true partner for the other guy, since they were also close and danced together.

It is totally going to be forgettable though.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:50 am Reply with quote
Oddly, I think Im more in favor of a lot of elements than Rebecca, Which surprises me as i tend to agree with her reviews more often than not. I actually had a blast with the series, and think it only got better as time went on.

While i agree Shirly was the best character, I actually feel like Nemo did well s well. Yes he starts out as a blank slate (In more ways than one as it turns out...) but as the series progressed so did his personality and role in things, and I came to really like him by shows end. In fact Id argue that he is more interesting than Faria by the end, as she never seems to really go anywhere as a character.

Im not saying the series is anything to write home about, but I do feel its a solid little 13 episodes of fun and excitement. Id also argue that the fight scenes look better and better as the series progresses, not just the final fight, though that is a cut above the rest.

So yeah I actually came away form this show very pleased!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:11 am Reply with quote
Well, I was mainly in this to fangirl over Takahiro Sakurai, and then they had that gimmick where he wouldn't even talk to Nemo, so he was hardly in it! Why you do me like this, anime? False advertising is what it is. ::pout::

I still mostly enjoyed it, although the two main battles went on waaaay too long, especially against the Final Boss, which started bordering on DBZ levels of "ha ha not dead yet!" I lost count of how many times it was over...NOT!

Also, I think the trope is less "the bigger the boobs, the more evil" than it is "the more exposed the big boobs are, the more evil." Naturally, exceptions abound. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1