• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Strike the Blood Anime Gets 5th, Final OVA

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:09 am Reply with quote
Kinda of amazing to think this got a complete adaption.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote
I’ve always gotten the feeling that Strike the Blood is much more popular in Japan than it is in the West. I used to get the Dengeki Daioh manga anthology more or less monthly, and StB would be on the cover about every 4-6 months, eventually (if barely) losing its popularity crown to the Mahouka franchise.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:38 am Reply with quote
It's popular enough in the West the Crunchyroll picked up the first two sets of OVAs, though. (Would love to see them pick up the later content, since the subs in the fansubs from the middle of III on are terrible.)

Really, though, it's remarkable that this franchise never got a second TV series and yet now has more than 2½ cours' worth of OVAs continuing the story. I am hard-pressed to think of another similar case for a franchise that started out with a TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
I'll have to hunt this down when it gets releases.
STB did not get much love over here in the US, The first TV release was released by Discotek, with the remaining OVAs all pretty much abandoned. This would be a series that I would pick up if it ever got a physical release. Until then, fansubs it is.
09jcg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:49 am Reply with quote
Glad to see we're getting more, it's always been a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. Is this a single OVA or is this a final OVA season?
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:54 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It's popular enough in the West the Crunchyroll picked up the first two sets of OVAs, though. (Would love to see them pick up the later content, since the subs in the fansubs from the middle of III on are terrible.)

Really, though, it's remarkable that this franchise never got a second TV series and yet now has more than 2½ cours' worth of OVAs continuing the story. I am hard-pressed to think of another similar case for a franchise that started out with a TV series.

It is amazing that it both got a complete adaptation and that it was continued in ova format.

As far as i can tell their hasn't really been a series that followed this trend since the early 00s when the ova was still more adapting material rather than just stick to mostly as bonus episodes.

Even more amazing considering the type of story it is. I really wish the rest of it gets a complete western release one day and il check it out.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi is the obvious answer for same format. To love ru dipped into ova, but considering ovas in strike the blood are longer in 5 6 plus episode and TV seasons are now shorter 12 , content wise it's not a big shift.

I just hope this gets closer to ten episodes because not sure if it can cover the last few volumes with less.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Strike the Blood, but I've always respected what it's been able to accomplish by continuing its story through OVA's. Amazing that it's managed to reach the end. Congratulations!
kuma991

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Now can he do a proper ending to Dantalian no Shoka?
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:53 pm Reply with quote
This is one of my absolute favorite anime and light novel series so I'm excited to see it get a proper conclusion. I think it might have received more attention in the West if Funi or Sentai had licensed it and given it a dub. I love Disco Tek but they have a smaller reach and rarely dub anything except the occasional Lupin or movie release. At this point I'll just be happy for all of the OVAs to get a physical release in the US.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Strike the Blu-ray is finally ending. I'm just grateful that someone actually took the time to finish it for fans, especially in OVA format. I can't recall a series that did. Even if a series did something similar, it was never adapted until the end of the story and it just made an OVA showing the ending

Also, the OVA releases skipped a few volumes: 1st season covered 1-6. II covered 9, 11-12. Hence things not making sense when watching. So "complete" wouldn't be the correct term.

Kojou: This is my Final Strike the Blu-ray!

Himeragi: No, senpai! This is our Final Strike the Blu-ray!
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
It's great to see this series cover the entire LNs. I agree that it's definitely odd to have it stick to OVAs and not get another TV series, but whatever works!

Now we just need to see the remaining 3 "seasons" get licensed and a home release announced

Key wrote:

I've been avoiding them because of the poor quality. Hopefully they get licensed (at least for streaming) so we can all enjoy watching the series to it's conclusion with a decent translation.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I remember quite liking the first TV series of Strike the Blood, but with the OVAs it started going downhill. Partly I think the story just got very, very formulaic. It kinda was that even during the first anime but that one had the advantage of being the first anime so it just had a level of novelty to it. I feel like this show got really bad with technobabble nonsense too, but honestly I was so tuned out while watching these that the experience feels like a distant fever dream. Also maybe I just don't remember the first anime very well, but I've felt like the OVAs have had worse pacing.
tsog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

This felt odd to me so I looked it up.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/08/04/crunchyroll-streams-strike-the-blood-ova-hakubo-anime-film

Sure enough, they announced that they will stream the Third OVA, but they never did put the videos up. Wonder what happened to their license.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:48 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I’ve always gotten the feeling that Strike the Blood is much more popular in Japan than it is in the West. I used to get the Dengeki Daioh manga anthology more or less monthly, and StB would be on the cover about every 4-6 months, eventually (if barely) losing its popularity crown to the Mahouka franchise.
It's also had quite the streak in Megami Magazine. Since the July 2018 issue of Megami, it has appeared in every issue except September 2018, October 2019, and January 2021. Almost always the pinup posters were B2-sized, and in the past, some issues had 2 posters, I'm not aware of any other series that did that. Also the very first time it appeared on the cover of Megami RX, the issue instantly sold out on release and began to be scalped. A year later a smaller sized version of that issue was included in the regular Megami Magazine as an omake.

Disc sales are another thing, look at this. Consistency, and the OVAs have outsold the TV series every time.
Quote:
Strike The Blood 6,225
Strike The Blood OVA 13,302
Strike The Blood II OVA 10,513
Strike The Blood III OVA 8,931
Strike the Blood: Kieta Seisou-hen 8,002
Strike The Blood IV OVA 8,354
https://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2