• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Commemorative Fruits Basket Video Reveals New Anime About Tohru's Parents, Stage Play in 2022

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
So this is why their scenario didn't make it into the TV anime! They wanted to make it special and into its own separate entry. Not ideal, but it's nice that they're still trying to bring it into animated form.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that arc will finally get adapted, even though I wish they could have fit it in the TV series. I wonder if they'll tweak some of its controversial aspects, though.
Oggers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Nice to hear that Kyoko and Katsuya's backstories will be adapted after all. I still wish it could have been part of the 2019 anime, since some scenes would have made more sense with their backstories left in, but it's better than nothing.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I'm glad that arc will finally get adapted, even though I wish they could have fit it in the TV series. I wonder if they'll tweak some of its controversial aspects, though.

You mean spoiler[Kyoko and Katsuya being student and teacher?] No, they’re not going to tweak that.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Glad they're doing the story of the parents. They said the whole thing and meant it. However, as for the stage play...how do they intend to do that with the animals? Not like you can go get a live tiger cub for Kisa, you know?
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:32 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
However, as for the stage play...how do they intend to do that with the animals? Not like you can go get a live tiger cub for Kisa, you know?

Costumes?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I thought the fact that they cast a "name" as Katsuya meant more was coming, because they wouldn't get a big name VA for just one line.

I'm glad they're adapting the story and we have more of the franchise to look forward too.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I saw someone theorize that the reason this is being adapted separately is so that people who would be uncomfortable with the plot can watch the series and avoid it, and those who want a full adaptation can still watch it.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the manga so I don't exactly know what the controversial part is but I have a pretty good guess
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
However, as for the stage play...how do they intend to do that with the animals? Not like you can go get a live tiger cub for Kisa, you know?

Costumes?

Shadow figures of the animals?
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I knew this was going to happen, it was impossible to adapt a 14yearold girl having a relationship with a teacher in a tv anime

Actually, I thought they would do an OVA based on how controversial is this story, I guess a movie is fine
Oggers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:21 am Reply with quote
Zzshcl wrote:
I knew this was going to happen, it was impossible to adapt a 14yearold girl having a relationship with a teacher in a tv anime

Actually, I thought they would do an OVA based on how controversial is this story, I guess a movie is fine

Considering how there were two anime this season about teenage girls developing close relationships with older men that may or may not become romantic (Koikimo and Higehiro), I don't think it would be viewed as that controversial.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:33 am Reply with quote
Thank you Froob god for giving us one last banquet. :')
Dropping the Kyoko/Katsuya romance and the excavation of Kyoko's personal history which accompanies it really hurt this adaptation, so it's nice to see them work back around to it one way or another. My heart hopes for a film-style approach but a short OVA series would be understandable as well.

MagicPolly wrote:
I saw someone theorize that the reason this is being adapted separately is so that people who would be uncomfortable with the plot can watch the series and avoid it, and those who want a full adaptation can still watch it.

It wasn't in the final season because it wouldn't have worked out with the episode count they settled on for this adaptation; if anything, they've chosen this approach to build up hype for this missing arc of the story in order to get *more* people to watch it. I don't agree with that approach or in general the way this adaptation was handled, and there's still missing story material we'll never get, but it's pretty counterintuitive to imagine that a studio which spends money making animated stuff for people to watch and only gets a return on their investment if people, you know, watch it, would go out of their way to encourage less viewers to turn in.

Kakeru/Komaki was not cut because of controversy, the whittling down of Yuki and Machi's relationship to practically nothing was not a decision made to avoid controversy, and it follows that neither was the omission of Kyoko and Katsuya's romance. The production was just so abbreviated in its final third that there was no room to fit these storylines.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:57 am Reply with quote
Very excited for this one; can't wait.

It's gonna hurt to watch but it's lovely knowing how spoiler[They are reunited in the end] Crying or Very sad
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I skimmed the anime because I know the story in the manga by heart. I was so confused about why the anime didn't have the parents love story. However..... I'm worried about how the internet is going to take Tohru's parents love story.... There is already hate for Koikimo and Cardcaptor Sakura (Rika and the teacher) too. I've already seen a lot of accusations, to people who like the ship, Akito and Shigure for their age differences too.....
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
Considering how there were two anime this season about teenage girls developing close relationships with older men that may or may not become romantic (Koikimo and Higehiro), I don't think it would be viewed as that controversial.

Clearly you haven't paid attention to forums over the past few years. Rolling Eyes

You're also forgetting that Koikimo's first episode was heavily-derided. Higehiro hasn't caught much heat for its gimmick (though it has for other flaws!) because the story is very careful about having the male lead set boundaries. Doesn't sound like that's going to be the case here.

As for why this story is being animated separately, I think that's obvious: it is considered important but not essential to the main storyline.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2