• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: To Your Eternity

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Probably the best scene was not Gugu's death but how it was revealed offscreen. Fushi having a panic attack while saying "It hurts but who is it?!" while transforming into Gugu in shock added tone emotional catharsis that beat. I don't think I cried but it seemed a departure from March's death where we actually saw her death. In this case, it was just Fushi reacting to Gugu's death which remained hidden from the audience.

Now, the timeskip was apparently a strange method from the writer but I don't know the purpose since Fushi's villager form literally deaged. At least we have more ground up for what exactly is supposed to do. He will wander around the planet but will be unable to form bonds because of what the Beholder warned him.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, why exactly did the Nokker just decide to go away? Was it the hot rocks reacting with the (I assume cold) water that made its form explode, and it just... really liked the water so it left? It got flamed directly into its flesh before and decided to stick around even so
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, why exactly did the Nokker just decide to go away? Was it the hot rocks reacting with the (I assume cold) water that made its form explode, and it just... really liked the water so it left? It got flamed directly into its flesh before and decided to stick around even so

It got smart and knew it was on the trail to losing, so better retreat and take a couple of forms (and memories) with him.

I was going to say that the ghosts must be more like Fushi's memories than actual ghosts, but in that case March shouldn't be there.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Was it though? Did it lose the bear once it exploded? because I felt like it could've just buried in the rock again and immediately attack once more. Like it did before
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:02 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Was it though? Did it lose the bear once it exploded? because I felt like it could've just buried in the rock again and immediately attack once more. Like it did before

The bear had already been defeated twice, and the place it was in was not the best for a giant stone bear. It might have also been getting weaker from all them flames.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I feel like someone brought this up before, but now I can't find who or when. But it turns out to be true that when Fushi reverts to one of his previous forms, he apparently resets all of them. At least the damn ropes proved useful at last! Very Happy

I'm not sure what this means though. It's like he gains emotional and mental experiences that stay with him, but the physical ones don't stick? I don't get why that should be the case.

Yes I answered that- The forms of whatever/whomever are set at the moment they were imprinted upon Fushi.

So everytime Fushi transforms it's to the default state of that form-
The Boy was straving and wounded,each time Fushi transforms back into The Boy,Fushi is very hungry (and he heals the wound instant quick).

(and it's just the one rope leash the boy had tied to his wrist. The other,which was tied around the wolf's neck,was real and was lost when Fushi had his head bitten off by the giant polar bear.)
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:40 am Reply with quote
That comment confused. Since Fushi reseted to the villager youthful form does this mean there is a requirement needed to become of these people he turns into like as some sort of scene with attachment?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:23 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
That comment confused. Since Fushi reseted to the villager youthful form does this mean there is a requirement needed to become of these people he turns into like as some sort of scene with attachment?

Yes,and the anime has shown the moment/the "tell" when a being(the rock an moss not so much) has imprinted itself upon Fushi.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:09 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I felt more emotional about Gugu's death than the previous deaths. I mean, the other were sad and emotional and moving, but we spent the most time with Gugu and Rean and so the send-off was just heartbreaking. I think it felt more emotional because Fuushi has grown more emotional and he himself is finally fully feeling those feelings that he barely understood before.

I thought it was an interesting thing that when he reverted back he was back to being a young boy. I wasn't expecting that.

It was heartbreaking, but fitting that in the end, Rean seemed to know/understand more about what was going on than the others thought.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:11 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

Now, the timeskip was apparently a strange method from the writer but I don't know the purpose since Fushi's villager form literally deaged.

My take is that it's a way to reinforce what the Nokkers represent to Fushi as enemies. Fushi "inherited" March's wish to grow up and become an adult, and so he did. But when the Nokker showed up, he was forced to use his powers and change forms and, as a result, he went back to being a kid.

This means that as long as the Nokkers are around, March's wish to grow up and Fushi's wish to live a normal life as a human being will never come true. And if you add to that the fact that the Nokkers' have the ability to steal Fushi's memories of his loved ones… yeah, they're some nasty opponents indeed.

While we're at it, I have this theory that if Fushi goes on with his life without ever using his powers, he'll grow old and die like any other person. I'm probably wrong, but we'll see.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is some of the most thematically rich and impeccably developed storytelling I've encountered in a very long time, and To Your Eternity continues to make it look easy.

...and straight from the manga(this arc starts at chapter 32).
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
....On a side note, apparently when a person dies in TYE, they can either go to a sort of "Heaven" where all their dreams come true, or they can choose to stay on Earth as spirits/ghosts. So far, the only character who chose to go to Heaven was The Boy from episode 1...

What about Joann and Oniguma, or do non-human animals not get to make that choice?

Of course the rock was never alive, so it cannot die.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie. When The Beholder told Fushi that he was like his father and he was instead replied with "What are you talking about? I already have a dad" switching to his memory of March also hit me hard. Fushi didn't met March for too much time but that "adoption" once influenced Fushi so much that I was shocked. Not only the manga author is an ace but the direction of that scene was impressive.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Quote:
This is some of the most thematically rich and impeccably developed storytelling I've encountered in a very long time, and To Your Eternity continues to make it look easy.

...and straight from the manga(this arc starts at chapter 32).

There is still time, but Fumetsu no Anata e (To Your Eternity) is not as involving as Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice), but that is a very high standard to repeat.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Tournament arc? : ( Did this show need to turn into a shonen?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 14