• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Netero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...the one thing that almost no anime gets right, the number of petticoats under a woman's full skirt...

The one thing that no anime gets right is what women wore under their petticoats - spoiler[nothing].
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Netero wrote:

The one thing that no anime gets right is what women wore under their petticoats - spoiler[nothing].

You have just officially made my day. Sometimes I think that I'm the only person who knows that. Laughing
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
As much as I enjoyed Villainess when it was getting started, as we got to the end of the season, it felt like it had milked all the joy there was to get out of that setup and the rest would be just retreading the same material over and over. The first episode of season 2 did not do much to alleviate that suspicion.
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I loved the first episode of Vanitas!

His and Noé's interactions are going to be fun to watch!! Vanitas is like a combination of Dazai and Gojo and I LOVE IT.
OST is phenomenal too

Quote:
as the newspaper headlines are all in real, readable condition

Good to know it's not another 'Dairy Londner' lol

Last edited by ab2143 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
lhernan02

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Netero wrote:

You have just officially made my day. Sometimes I think that I'm the only person who knows that. Laughing

I thought everyone knew that part. spoiler[Due to obvious anatomical/biological reasons skin-hugging/skin-tight (not sure what the right term would be) undergarments for women only became practical with modern hygiene (historical arguments can be made that modern hygiene and its accompanying undergarments are neither natural nor beneficial - but that is a completely different discussion), so before the late 19th/early 20th cent. "commando" was the rule for even upper class women (petticoat-type garments being the difference between nobility and peasantry). The health movement in the US and Edwardian (some say late Victorian) tastes created panties and eventually lead to that pinnacle of culture "Najica Blitz Tactics".]
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:07 pm Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:

I thought everyone knew that part.

Sadly, no. Somewhere along the line the idea of bloomers (not in the original sense of a wide, split skirt) took hold, and that's what most people stick with. Never mind that it would be nigh impossible to pull down an undergarment while wearing a corset; many early undergarments (called drawers, because you drew them up your legs) were actually open at the crotch for that reason.

There's a wonderful book on the subject (and other fascinatingly gross elements of 19th century womanhood) called Unmentionable by Therese Oneill. Another good one is Medieval Underpants and Other Blunders by Suzanne Alleyn. They're both worth reading if you like the subject.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
As much as I enjoyed Villainess when it was getting started, as we got to the end of the season, it felt like it had milked all the joy there was to get out of that setup and the rest would be just retreading the same material over and over. The first episode of season 2 did not do much to alleviate that suspicion.

Yeah the second half of the season it definitely felt it was spinning its well and I don't see how adding more people to the harem is going to help, I honestly barely remember half of them. We know there's never going to be any progression so it feel like we're just going to get 12 episodes of "get in wacky situation, say they're in love, misunderstanding, back to status quo" rinse and repeat. It's a shame that they blitzed trough the childhood portion so quickly, maybe they could go back?
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I was going to watch Sonny Boy only to find out episode 1 is scheduled for July 15.
That's in two damn weeks! How come Wakanim gets it so much later than Funi?
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
While they share the same white hair, black skin trope that I'm noticing is more common than I first assumed months back, calling Noe the spitting image of Zapp feels...off due to their radically different vibes (Noe's eyes also slant up while Zapp's slant down).

He does remind me a lot of A from Sakurai's visual novel Sona-Nyl of the violet shadows on account of the game's purple tint and him also having red eyes.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
To me, Girlfriend, Girlfriend is a pretty old-fashioned rom-com, except that unlike most such shows, the character closest to sane isn't the male protagonist. Saki gets that role, and our lead gets to be one of the completely nuts waifus.
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I think it's telling how many of the reviews for Scarlet Nexus mention "potential". It's a very style heavy work and your appreciation for both the game and the anime lives or dies on whether that style sucks you in. Sort of like Persona 5, but without nearly as much substance backing it's style up.

It's a damn shame honestly, I think both versions of Scarlet Nexus really had the potential to be much more than they are. I really hate seeing that effort going to waste.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
In Girlfriend, Girlfriend, I did keep thinking that there was enough evidence of Saki being attracted to Nagisa, that she is probably bi, at least in some characterisation. That did sound like it could have been the source of something in her agreeing to the situation outside of being practically shamed into it.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:40 am Reply with quote
I'm not quite sure where all the praise for vanitas is coming from it was fine, but nothing special. Grab anybody and tell them to make a victorian vampire with homo erotic undertone (and I doubt they'll ever be more than undertone) show and you'd get something of similar quality. Visually it was fine, but nothing special too, the choreography of the fight scene was fine but felt like a slow unergetic darker than black fight.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:46 am Reply with quote
Wait so Funimation streamed Sonny Boy and then deleted it for two weeks? That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard …
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:49 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Wait so Funimation streamed Sonny Boy and then deleted it for two weeks? That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard …

It was part of the their preview event for the summer season on Youtube. They did the same for Scarlet Nexus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22