• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MAPPA Comments on Animator Pay Rates in Statement

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah…not buying it. They know what they did.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:55 pm Reply with quote
There is a lot of "We see no problem with this treatmeant so there is no problem" talk in this press release. A business convinced that improving worker conditions is not needed because its always been this way.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:24 am Reply with quote
Press X to doubt...
ab2143

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:29 am Reply with quote
Hmm. Sounds like damage control
Kyoshinhei
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:09 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile, the big guns in production committees could actually do something about the situation but would rather keep benefiting from the status quo, safely hidden behind the studios that take the flak in their stead...
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
rates that are fair relative to the budget

A shoestring budget of course, but hey we're giving them a fair share!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:59 am Reply with quote
MAPPA your press release is not going to hide the truth
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:14 am Reply with quote
They know what they are doing is wrong.

What is really is concerning they seem to really think they actually did nothing wrong.

Which is ironic considering the studio was made by former madhouse employees who were suffering similar conditions.

They are so used to this being the norm they really cant seem to think that it is wrong, the industry really needs to change as this is not right.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:05 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
They know what they are doing is wrong.

What is really is concerning they seem to really think they actually did nothing wrong.

Which is ironic considering the studio was made by former madhouse employees who were suffering similar conditions.

They are so used to this being the norm they really cant seem to think that it is wrong, the industry really needs to change as this is not right.

That is what I took away from it. One thing that I see come up again and again when it comes to Japanese businesses is that things like low pay or archaic methods of transacting business persist because "that's the way it has always been" is such a prevalent way of thinking. The pay may very well be what is normal relative to the overall budget, but that says something about the tendency to pump out too much content while spending as little as possible to do it.

I also noticed the ol' chestnut about not forcing anyone to work. This comes up as a defense all the time in creative industries, and time and again, employees will point out that there might not be any explicit requirement to work long hours, but the pressures are still there. The stink eye if you leave at closing time, the implication that advancement is on the line, hearing someone else say that their part had to wait because you weren't there over the weekend like they were, etc.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:30 pm Reply with quote
The problem here is very simple. An exploitative company is lying about being exploitative and trying to wave the problem of their over-exhausted, underpaid labor away.

I say we keep on reminding them of it for a good long time to come.

Last edited by Zeino on Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
My response is this amazing clip from carol and tuesday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFjqEexH0Tg&ab_channel=SmurfRockRune
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:20 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
The problem here is very simple. An exploitative company is lying about being exploitative and trying to wave the problem of their over-exhausted, underpaid labor away.

I say we keep on reminding them of it for a good long time to come.

I mean this isn't exactly new in the industry in general (it's an overall crapshow when it comes to horrible production schedules and work conditions across the board), but MAPPA is very clearly the one most willing enough to exploit it to the fullest. And they'll never learn until the date it bites them in the ass. But then again, they'll probably just exploit other animators instead and the cycle will just repeat.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:23 am Reply with quote
Why don't they publish how much do they give to animators?? It shouldn't be a (national) secret, It should be public data!
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:31 am Reply with quote
The capital speaks but has nothing to say. Aha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:04 am Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
Why don't they publish how much do they give to animators?? It shouldn't be a (national) secret, It should be public data!

I dunno if Japan has the same laws, but that can lead to a lot of legal issues in the US. Disclosing past payrates, disclosing competitive bidding, price fixing, etc. Even if it's not illegal in Japan, it'd still be bad for business to say what your offering people and letting all the other studios know and base their own offers around that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2