• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: To Your Eternity

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:23 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Tournament arc? : ( Did this show need to turn into a shonen?

Don't worry, this is not a typical tournament. It's more like a setting for the next stages of Fushi's character development.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, typical tournament arcs are about forcing power vs power battles and speedrunning character development.

Anyway this reminds me more of Kino's own tournament arc. At least I'm no longer sorry for the zombie kids in the OP.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:06 am Reply with quote
(Finally watched episode 13!)

The first half of this episode is absolutely one of the best episodes of the series. Then the second half happened. Note that James' review totally ignores this part of the episode. But giving a glowing review to an episode based strictly on the first half and ignoring how weak the second half is was very misleading. The second half is disjointed and missing important connecting scenes and I was left extremely frustrated and a little angry. After the emotional development of Fushi and watching him learn and grow and the interesting things we learned from the Beholder, we were hit in the face with scenes that made no sense and dialogue that is very misplaced and out of order. On top of that, the unoriginal and overused "prisoners fight to the death" trope and what looks like the literal Coliseum. I'm not even looking forward to the new episode tomorrow. Oh, and if those kids turn to zombies, good. Let them rot is how I feel after watching this episode.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:59 am Reply with quote
I like Tonari. She's such a brat. It's too early to tell if I'll end up loving her as much as March and Gugu, but I find it refreshing that she's not a Wholesome Good Child.

Fushi is (justifiably) angry with the new kids, but you can tell they're doing their best to survive in an island where death lurks in every corner. I suppose Tonari wants Fushi to win and become the leader so he can help her and her friends escape the island.

My only gripe with this episode is that it looked really cheap, and it was very distracting at times.

kurichan69 wrote:
Oh, and if those kids turn to zombies, good. Let them rot is how I feel after watching this episode.

Who hurt you
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and he finds himself transformed into…Parona! This should be a fist-pumping,

Ya realize Fushi is shocked & saddened by being able to transform into Parona- as it means Parona is dead.

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I find it really disconcerting that people seem to truly HATE these poor kids that are a victim of circumstance just because they aren't uwu pure.

I also didn't realize it was Hayase at first, though I was excited when Fushi turned into Parona.
OshiyamaFan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Haven't been a fan of this arc since the start, feels like it's missing what made the other ones enjoyable. Still early so hopefully it improves but hard to ignore.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Quote:

Ya realize Fushi is shocked & saddened by being able to transform into Parona- as it means Parona is dead.

Indeed. This isn't Fushi regaining his lost memories. This is Fushi remembering someone that made an impression on him, and discovering they are dead. This isn't supposed to be a happy moment in either aspect.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Is it weird that the arena fights made me laugh? It reminded me of Naked Gun where Frank's skills were ridiculously weird. Here, Fushi got his ass kicked without even entering the arena and when he arrived, almost everybody have been killed.
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A chance recollection of his time with March sparks a moment of stimulation in Fushi, and he finds himself transformed into…Parona! This should be a fist-pumping, “Hell Yeah!” screaming turn for show, since Parona was such a beloved character, and it is proof that Fushi might be able to regain his lost memories after all. Instead, the reveal is…fine

spoiler[No, no. It really shouldn't considering all the people Fushi has been able to turn into, are, well. dead.]
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:23 pm Reply with quote
So far the animation quality hasn't been a problem for me. In fact, not counting something produced by a well known studio or based on a popular shonen manga, I can't remember the last time I saw a not-that-mainstream anime that looked this, for lack of a better word, "competent". Most animation in regular anime these days seem to go to shit after the first couple of episodes, but I don't think that's the case with TYE. Then again, I'm not planning to make a review so maybe I don't watch it with enough critical eye (I did notice the copy-pasted CGI people in the audience though)

I was expecting Hayase to show up since her scared appearance is featured too many times in the OP to just be a reference to March's arc finale. Also, the last episode preview hinted that someone from the past would be returning.

Now about the kids. I don't have a problem with the characters not being "good people", I can accept and enjoy your typical raised-by-the-streets thief and con artist, however, these kids brush me the wrong way since they basically make a living out of selling people into slavery and we're supposed to like them. Also, if they're trying to scape from the island why didn't they just bolted when they were in the mainland before abducting Fushi? Since at least some of them are children of slaves, does that mean they won't escape because they still have families on the island? But, they still sold Orb boy into slavery, so f*ck 'em. (Sigh, I suppose we'll get an explanation later and we'll all cry when this girl dies too)

That last thing is the one problem I have with the story. After watching the first episode and realizing this is a story about an immortal being and that it has the word "eternity" in its title I pieced together that we would see every character besides the protagonist die at some point. But I didn't expect every arc to have the same M.O.: Fushi goes to a new location, he meets character, he befriends them, they die, he's sad, repeat.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:35 am Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
these kids brush me the wrong way since they basically make a living out of selling people into slavery and we're supposed to like them. Also, if they're trying to scape from the island why didn't they just bolted when they were in the mainland before abducting Fushi? Since at least some of them are children of slaves, does that mean they won't escape because they still have families on the island? But, they still sold Orb boy into slavery, so f*ck 'em. (Sigh, I suppose we'll get an explanation later and we'll all cry when this girl dies too)

......misunderstanding going on here,and not just with this comment.

The Island is a Prison Island that's basically being run by the inmates and their descendants at this point- why some brands have a circle within the triangle(criminals) and others only have a triangle(descendant of a criminal).

It was a prison ship that Tonari tricked Fushi into boarding,Pioran being a wanted criminal(murderer) was a bonus/made for good cover. Tonari was yadda spoiler tag,yadda.

The kids and others don't leave/escape because... plot & spoilers.

[/b]
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:10 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:
Quote:

Indeed. This isn't Fushi regaining his lost memories. This is Fushi remembering someone that made an impression on him, and discovering they are dead. This isn't supposed to be a happy moment in either aspect.

I still agree with James that the reveal was lacking. Fushi should be shocked and saddened, yet the only reaction we get out of him is a "Huh?" and that's it. I'm guessing that's why many people (including myself) didn't realize Parona is possibly dead.

I'm sure we'll get answers eventually, seeing how Hayase is on the island.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:

I still agree with James that the reveal was lacking. Fushi should be shocked and saddened, yet the only reaction we get out of him is a "Huh?" and that's it. I'm guessing that's why many people (including myself) didn't realize Parona is possibly dead.

I'm sure we'll get answers eventually, seeing how Hayase is on the island.

...seriously the story has been hammering the point Fushi can only take on the form of a living being-that's stimulated him-if he/she/it is dead, from episode one on.

Episode 14 ..mole thing died and Fushi did and said what?
Episode 14 also came straight out and told it's audience we're on a prison island run by the prisoners and their descendants..yet folks carrying on about slavery...

Fushi stood there in the middle of his battle stunned by his transformation into Parona but having no time to truly process that fact as he's in the middle of combat.

As that fight is over,next episode we'll see the fallout.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

...seriously the story has been hammering the point Fushi can only take on the form of a living being-that's stimulated him-if he/she/it is dead, from episode one on.

Understand that up until now (if I am not mistaken) Fushi has been able to take the forms of beings that died in a close proximity to him not beings that died years ago 100ths of miles away. The audience might be confused about his sudden Parona form.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 14