• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Revengers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Mm, yeah -- I think there's even an explicit conversation where they confirm that that's why she's cool with Emma -- but I don't see how that excuses Takemichi, in Hina's view? We-as-viewer know it was "past Takemichi" and not "present Takeimichi" who was trying to get with Emma, but it still seems like Hina should be massively pissed at him, to me.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You know, if the show was only going to change one of its credit songs, I wish it would have been “Crybaby.” Don't get me wrong, that song's fine, but it's easily the lesser compared to “Koko de Iki o Shite” which really grew on me over the past season. The new ED, “Tokyo Wonder,” is a solid enough song, and I like vocalist Nakishima's raspy delivery, but it's just not quite the same as hearing that opening riff to cap off every episode. Visuals are nice though, and easily the most engaging Revengers has made its delinquent aesthetic look in animation, so I won't spend any more time niggling on it.

I like "Koko de Iki wo Shite" quite a bit myself, but "Cry Baby" is my favorite anime OP of the year so far, so I'm glad it's sticking around, just like "Gurenge" did for the entire first season of KnY. "Tokyo Wonder", on the other hand, has yet to grow on me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
The moon is beautiful tonight. Just sayin'. It's nearly full. Look at it. Look. Look. At. It. Did you see it? Did you notice how moon it is? Look again. And again. Have you looked at it twenty times yet? Well, it's not full, so maybe nineteen is enough. Just be sure you notice it. It's really beautiful.
MakiharaMeiko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the pacing of this last episode, but I think they did it on purpose due to what's going next. I think (and I hope) they wanted to save episode 16 entirely for what's going to happen (because adapting only two manga chapters in one episode is... well, going very slow knowing that they need to adapt at least 24 more chapters...)
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:29 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The moon is beautiful tonight. Just sayin'. It's nearly full. Look at it. Look. Look. At. It. Did you see it? Did you notice how moon it is? Look again. And again. Have you looked at it twenty times yet? Well, it's not full, so maybe nineteen is enough. Just be sure you notice it. It's really beautiful.

Loved this so much!

Sadly, we may have seen the last of weird insert moon shots. Nick’s review completely overlooks the most shocking development of the series so far: the manji! Seen in all it’s glory . . . Nope, wait, spoke too soon.

Guess the “cover-up” team skipped the pre-OP scenes? Because it’s once more—hilariously—missing from the group photo with the gang name banner, which now just says “Tokyo Gang”

Too funny!
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:05 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me these past two episodes were basically "oops my manga got permission to continue past the plot point I set up to conveniently tie up the story in case it gets axed! Now I have to quickly set up the next arc that I'd been having in my mind but didn't put a lot of effort into until now because I didn't think I'd get around actually writing it!"

Anyway, to be honest this is getting a bit too silly for me, specifically the way Takemichi at this point seems to lack any kind of reflection other than his loser->not-loser character development. Yes, we know that Touman eventually evolved into an actual criminal organization (...apparently?) but still, right now - well, in the past - they're mostly just middle-school kids(!!!) playing war for no reason whatsoever. And as someone with an adult's mind, I'd expect Takemichi to just boggle at certain things, I mean... holy crap, what is wrong with some of these kids? they're complete psychopaths, shouldn't they be reported to the police or something?! Let alone all this brutality over what exactly? it's not like the kids are actually doing any criminal activities at this point. If at least some local criminal gangs were shown to be involved, but no...

Also, the manga is entering the stage of shounen fight adventure manga that I like to call "WAAYYY too many characters", and I'm starting to lose track of them...
leongsh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:07 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me these past two episodes were basically "oops my manga got permission to continue past the plot point I set up to conveniently tie up the story in case it gets axed! Now I have to quickly set up the next arc that I'd been having in my mind but didn't put a lot of effort into until now because I didn't think I'd get around actually writing it!"

Generally that's not how the titles work. The mangaka would have an overall story planned and roughly works towards the various story plot points. The publishing company in which it's anthology the title is serialised in has the title monitored for popularity. Each title is usually given about 4-6 months to build up interest. Interest is measured in weekly polling and in the tankouban sales.

The titles that cannot command sufficient interest are then given a few chapters to wrap up. The titles that have sufficient interest are allowed to continue and reviewed periodically for interest in the title. If interest sags badly, then the title is given the a short period of time to wrap it up.

In Tokyo Revengers' case, there was sufficient interest for the title to continue. It could also be due to the mangaka's prior work, Shinjuku Swan which ran for 38 volumes and published by Kodansha as well that gave Tokyo Revengers more time and space to develop the story and plot points.

Thus, it's my view then that your assessment is incorrect.

SHD wrote:
... holy crap, what is wrong with some of these kids? they're complete psychopaths, shouldn't they be reported to the police or something?! Let alone all this brutality over what exactly? it's not like the kids are actually doing any criminal activities at this point. If at least some local criminal gangs were shown to be involved, but no...

Suggest that you watch this documentary on YouTube:
TRACKS: Japan's Teenage Motorcycle Gangs | Teenage Japanese Killers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKsJvY6RzH8

SHD wrote:
Also, the manga is entering the stage of shounen fight adventure manga that I like to call "WAAYYY too many characters", and I'm starting to lose track of them...

Looks like the manga is interesting enough that you read all the way to the most recent chapter. Personally, I don't think there's "WAAYYY too many characters" and do not agree with your opinion that "it is entering the stage of shounen fight adventure manga". This is not the right forum to discuss this since there will be spoilers involved.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:39 am Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:
Generally that's not how the titles work. (...)

Yes, I'm well aware of how this works... I was exaggerating for comical purposes. What I was trying to point out is that it felt like the story had an original cutting off point and the mangaka didn't set everything up properly to continue beyond that while the first arc was ongoing. So now we had a "hah, it didn't work after all!" twist and a ton of awkward infodump to introduce the next arc. My assumption was that he didn't set it up properly because he was worried he may not get around writing it, I might have been wrong about that.

leongsh wrote:
Suggest that you watch this documentary on YouTube:
TRACKS: Japan's Teenage Motorcycle Gangs | Teenage Japanese Killers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKsJvY6RzH8

Again, I know. I'm pretty familiar with this topic. What I was trying, and apparently failing, to point out was that future!Takemichi should have at least some adult reactions and reflections to the stuff he sees. Currently the only indication of him not being an actual kid is his foreknowledge of the future. In the first episode he had some "oh wow, this is so nostalgic" and "lol how stupid I used to look" reactions, but nothing since then, and so the whole time traveling thing comes across more and more as just a gimmick.

SHD wrote:
Looks like the manga is interesting enough that you read all the way to the most recent chapter.

I haven't, I just accidentally wrote "manga" instead of "anime", sorry. I did read a bunch of the manga, though, but I found it fairly difficult to follow partly due to the art/paneling, and partly because I wasn't finding it engrossing enough to keep my interest. I'm having a better time with the anime so far.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:25 am Reply with quote
I feel like I missed something. How did Takamichi get back this time to talk to Draken? Did they just shorthand the usual means with the lightning strike, or is there another way (click your heels three times...) besides high-fiving little brother?
MakiharaMeiko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:21 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I feel like I missed something. How did Takamichi get back this time to talk to Draken? Did they just shorthand the usual means with the lightning strike, or is there another way (click your heels three times...) besides high-fiving little brother?

He always needs to high-five the brother, so they omitted that part because it was gonna be repetitive to see xD
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:37 am Reply with quote
I was actually kinda with Kazutora there, with his "Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules!" attitude. All's fair in love and war, and this is war.

I just hope the melee doesn't turn into a sun-gazing festival. We could all go blind. There's probably a lot to see in that junkyard though, so instead we'll probably get an in depth tour of all the machinery and the cars stacked up.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:43 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I just hope the melee doesn't turn into a sun-gazing festival. We could all go blind. There's probably a lot to see in that junkyard though, so instead we'll probably get an in depth tour of all the machinery and the cars stacked up.

They seem to have realized that there are options to avoid showing the manji other than awkwardly zooming in or cutting away (they painted it over a few times in this episode, I wonder how long it took them to realize that this was a possibility), so hopefully they'll be able to do decent crowd scenes involving Touman members from now on...
nightoffire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:04 pm Reply with quote
When reading the manga, I thought that Valhalla arc felt really short and was wondering how they could spend a whole cour on it and was thinking they might cover some of the next arc but it seems like they are dragging this out as much as they possibly can so they can end at chapter 69, and it's painful to watch. They added unnecessary fights to this episode, when they could have animated more of Kazutora's backstory instead. I get more enjoyment out of watching Chibi Revengers than I do from this mediocre adaption.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:35 pm Reply with quote
It may be just an adaptation thing, but Kazutora's motivation makes no sense whatsoever. OK so he had a terrible childhood where his father abused his mother and it was instilled in him that he should always pick sides where the other side is an enemy that must be destroyed. But how does that play into anything that happened, other than the enemy now is Mikey? Yes, I know that the logic is supposed to be "I wanted to do this thing for Mikey" → "I messed up doing this thing for Mikey" → "if I hadn't had Mikey to want to do this thing for I wouldn't have messed up" → "it's all Mikey's fault for existing and making me want to do this thing for him I guess" and that it's supposed to be a twisted mind's thought process, but... even so it's such a huge leap of logic it just doesn't make sense even as a twisted idea. Or at least doesn't make for a very well thought-out antagonist motivation.

(I mean, it could have been Kazutora developing a hatred for Mikey out of shame for his own actions, or convincing himself that Mikey set him up, or anything, there's a million of other ways for him to end up hating Mikey.)
MakiharaMeiko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:55 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
"I wanted to do this thing for Mikey" → "I messed up doing this thing for Mikey" → "if I hadn't had Mikey to want to do this thing for I wouldn't have messed up" → "it's all Mikey's fault for existing and making me want to do this thing for him I guess" and that it's supposed to be a twisted mind's thought process, but... even so it's such a huge leap of logic it just doesn't make sense even as a twisted idea.

I think (but I don't know) that Kazutora wants Mikey to hate him and kill him. And the only way to do that without making Mikey a bad guy is making himself the enemy. As Kazutora himself said: if you kill someone you are a bad person, unless you kill your enemy, then you are a hero.
He is trying to make us think that he's crazy and that has a 0 logic in his actions, but in reality he wants to become Mikey's enemy for him to kill him and becoming the hero that killed the bad guy. That way he'll pay for killing Shinichiro.
Mikey wanted to forgive him, but he didn't want to be forgiven, he wanted to be punished.
Or at least that's what I think x'D

Like "if I become the bad guy, he can kill me without hesitation", thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9