• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Dragon Ball Super Anime Film Reveals Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Title, Teaser Video, Ne

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
And I thought bringing Broly back was a bad idea… but doing a CG DB movie? Does Toei just hate me, personally, or what?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Welp there goes the theory of Cooler becoming canon
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for this. If Pan is 5 then that means they've finally decide to age up Goten and Trunks, which Super was just abysmal with. I also hope Pan and Piccolo are important parts of this, it doesn't have to be about Goku this time!
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
And I thought bringing Broly back was a bad idea… but doing a CG DB movie? Does Toei just hate me, personally, or what?

No, you just have a different opinion. Its that simple, and thats fine.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Going fully 3D is especially weird after Broly. "Here's some breathtaking 2D animation... now we're never doing that again"
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I'm gonna miss the beautiful animation of DBS Broly. Now we have to make do with the basic 3DCG, Netflix anime-style animation this movie is gonna have.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:51 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Going fully 3D is especially weird after Broly. "Here's some breathtaking 2D animation... now we're never doing that again"

You do know that a ton of Super: Broly was actually GC, especially during the fights, but was simply done so well that very few actually noticed, right? Seriously, go back & watch that movie, and you'll start noticing all of the CG that you may not have noticed the first time around.

I think this new movie being all CG won't be anywhere near as bad as are thinking it will be.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I did in fact know there was CG in Broly, it was very noticeable and not nearly as omnipresent as you seem to want to believe. But thanks for the condescension (and for ignoring the "fully 3D" part so you could go "well ACHSTUALLY").

Last edited by JoelBurger on Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
If the movie is actually going to be full cgi, why? Broly looked good as hell, was the highest grossing movie in the series and as far as I can tell, the staff is still at Toei. Really weird that if they decided to change a winning formula for an unknown, though the few times that cgi was used in Broly weren't so bad.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Proof that Toei should have waited until after production on Dragon Quest Dai was over as there's where most of the last movie's staff went along with One Piece Wano.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Did Toei look at what popular? What next, Dragon Ball Super: Demon Slayer?
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Redundant Hero. So Goku jumping up and getting in stance was my favorite scene in the movie. Then they decided to ruin it by reusing it in this trailer in the least appealing way possible. I wish I could sit in on these board meetings because the decisions they make.... smh
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm not against CG, especially if handled well, but it's going to be pretty surreal to watch an all CG Dragon Ball movie.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Anime fans are truly terrified of change. I welcome the idea of an all CGI movie. So many anime is already having large amounts of CGI, and, hate me all you want, but it may be less stressful then spending days on drawn animation. I want the industry to change, and if this could make things better(I personally doubt it) then I am all for some variety. Besides, Lupin showed CGI can look great in anime.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I'll judge how good or bad the CGI is, once we have a real trailer. 2 out of 3 of the modern DB movies have been pretty great, so I'm willing to be optimistic with Toei here. Their track record has improved greatly over the last few years. And I'm glad we aren't rehashing any more characters from earlier films as was speculated. Just because it worked with Broly, doesn't mean it could or should be tried again.

That being said, this movie better have Gohan feature heavily in it as the Great Saiyaman once more.

Last edited by Zeino on Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3